JD Grain Drill

/ JD Grain Drill #1  

TexasDefender

I'm looking for some information on this drill I'm thinking of buying. I don't know much about it and if $700 is a fair price for it. It's about 10 years old, what type of parts/repairs would I be looking at and how much are parts? It has a 13 ft planting width, and needs a hydraulic cylinder.

graindrill.jpg

/ JD Grain Drill #2  
If its 10 years old, it hasn't seen much shed time. Do you know if it works, I mean, do all the internal workings turn freely? What condition are the blades in? Are the seed tubes broken, cracked, or even exist? Any cracks/welds present? It doesn't appear to have a grass seed box on it (no biggie), a new hydraulic cylinder from TSC will run about $70 (online price) + hoses and fittings. Is $700 a firm price? If it is, its up to you. Find out the model # and do a search for parts that are needed at deere.com in the online parts catalog.

/ JD Grain Drill
I talked to the guy and he said it's not rusted out, some of the discs are bent but can be fixed easily according to him. He said the only thing keeping it from working is the hydraulic, which he took off for his other implements, a few minor things like the lid hinges, etc. I don't think $700 is a firm price, I'm trying to figure out if this would work for my needs, planting food plots mainly. 13 ft may be too wide, this one is convenient because it's about 5 minutes from me...

/ JD Grain Drill #4  
Craiglist has one listed 14' wide with grass seeder boxfor $500.00 but it is in Idaho.

I would think $700.00 is kind of high. I would like it better at $500.00 or less. Grass seeder is worth a lot to some folks.

Don

/ JD Grain Drill #5  
8000 series (I THINK it's an 8400 ???) It's more than 10 years old. (I'd guess about 18 to 20) I'd price the disc openers & bearings for the openers before jumping into that. $700 would be a steal if it were in GOOD shape, but a drill can eat up $1000 in parts before you ever see dirt with it.

$700 would buy a VERY nice Deere FB-B of just slightly older vintage.