Which one is more tractor?

/ Which one is more tractor? #21  
I dont post what I think, only what I know, and the JD 4000-20 series is indeed made in USA. I would not have forked over twenty some thousand for one if that was not true, and to me, that makes it "more tractor" even more than the additional power. I would still be running my old Ford 2000 if I could not have gotten American power.

/ Which one is more tractor? #22  
Didn't someone make a previous post in the JD forum about his 400X FEL on 4000 series having made in China serial plate on it?

/ Which one is more tractor? #23  
wolc123 said:
I dont post what I think, only what I know, and the JD 4000-20 series is indeed made in USA. I would not have forked over twenty some thousand for one if that was not true, and to me, that makes it "more tractor" even more than the additional power. I would still be running my old Ford 2000 if I could not have gotten American power.

Can you double check that with the tag on the machine? It should say "MADE" and not "ASSEMBLED" in USA. Lawyer weasel words to confuse. The promo stuff for the JD plant used to say that JD tractors were proudly "assembled" in the GA plant. I don't know what that means and not having a JD to look at I can't tell.

I checked the JD web site and looking at the 4720 owners manual it lists the engine as a YANMAR on the emissions tag. That correct?

OMLVU17927_J7

/ Which one is more tractor? #24  
wolc123 said:
Sorry about it pal, but beginning in 2005, JD started producing the 4000-20 series in Georgia, USA and they are powered by the American, JD Powertech engine, Not the eastern Yanmar which may drive your machine. A word of advice to y'all, think and verify facts first, type second for hearsay is best left unsaid.

The Powertech engines are built in Mexico, not the USA. A vast majority of that tractor is still built by Yanmar, Deere uses them for more than just engines. As I recall they also build the rear end. Not that it really matters, its a global market place... any product you look at is built this way.

Didn't someone make a previous post in the JD forum about his 400X FEL on 4000 series having made in China serial plate on it?
Yes. Your John Deere is no more of an American product than an Egg Roll. (Thats a joke for those who may miss my humor)

/ Which one is more tractor? #25  
Builder, I think you better stick with orange, or at least step up to a 5000 series Deere. Heck, even my old Kubota M4700 was more tractor than my JD 4600, and it ought to be, it was a utility tractor and not souped up compact.

/ Which one is more tractor? #26  
MessickFarmEqu said:
Yes. Your John Deere is no more of an American product than an Egg Roll. (Thats a joke for those who may miss my humor)

LMAO!!!
:D :D :D

/ Which one is more tractor? #27  
You know, I would have thought they'd make the egg rolls here rather than ship frozen food in a container, but turns out they do come from China and Thailand.

The JDs are actually much more international in flavor than an egg roll. They have parts from China, Japan, India, Germany, and probably even a few from the US.

I agree with none of this mattering on which tractor is better, but I think a higher percentage of corporate profits stay in the US if you buy a JD, as opposed to a Kubota, based on ownership of the stock.

That said, I'm seriously considering getting some Kubota stock based on their PE and Price:Sales ratio. They're a pretty good company, and if they can sell pipes and equipment in China, they'll do well. Besides, right now I own a bunch of JD stock, so it stings that I'll probably buy a Kubota L.

Todd

/ Which one is more tractor?
Wow, last time I posted a thread like this I got CRUCIFIED for suggesting one might have more domestic content than another.:(

I don't have to worry about it this time, you guys are doing it for me! :D

Seriously guys, I don't care where they're built, they're both great machines. I do draw the line at China, though. I won't buy a Chinese machine. The 4720 is built in Pune, India. They probably rattle the tires on here in Georgia so they can say it's assembled in the US. :)

I dropped my desire to buy "Murrican made" stuff much anymore because we don't really....ahhh....make...

anything.....

anymore.....:(

now can someone pass me a Corona beer and another spring roll? Man, these Chinese made Land's End work shoes are tight! :D

/ Which one is more tractor? #29  
Hey, we make chips! Potato and Silicone.
We also make carpet, furniture, um . . . . paper . . .

Lots of things are still made here, but for the most part the principle of comparative advantage favors manufacturing low tech stuff offshore. Even with rising oil prices increasing the cost of transportation.

What's interesting is that we probably do need to re-evaluate how much of an advantage there is for the US, if currencies are held artificially low, or if the levels of wealth are hugely disparate between or within the countries. Comparative advantage still holds true, but it can be mitigated by certain factors.

In the mean time, I recommend buying the product you think is the best. Not the one you think is made in the US. Supporting an inferior product perpetuates bad practices. Just look at our auto industry, they still can't compete with Japan on quality, irregardless of the price of health care and pensions. They're getting close, but . . .

Todd

Weird, this post didn't show at first. Must be my imported keyboard!

Last edited:
   / Which one is more tractor? #30  
While I am not a huge fan of Deere, the 4600 and 4300 tractors are not the same quality as their more recent offerings. Not anywhere close. I looked at a 4300, a 4600, and their newer series. Their newer stuff was of much higher quality.