Factor the dealer in when buying a tractor.

/ Factor the dealer in when buying a tractor. #1  

mjncad

Tractor
A couple
On the way home from my Deere dealer, I decided to stop in the Kioti dealer to see if they had those stepped bushings (Cat 1 to Cat3) to install on the implement lift pins for use with Quick-Hitches. My Deere dealer didn't have any, and I cleaned out the local farm store of the two pair they had. I could use one more pair; but I'm in no hurry for them.

First the guy never heard of such a bushing, although I later found one on a piece of used equipment in his yard. Second, he stopped just short of calling me nuts for using a Quick-Hitch, which is his opinion; but telling a potential customer he's nuts for using a Quick-Hitch doesn't inspire confidence in me to want to stop in his dealership again.

My point is that regardless of tractor make, and tier level (e.g. Tier 1: Deere, Kubota, NH), if there aren't a number of dealers to choose from; you can be up a creek if you have to rely on one dealer to service your rig and obtain parts from. So make sure to factor in the dealer's customer service attitude along with the tractor features and price.

Since this guy turned out to be a schmuck, I won't be stopping in there again no matter what kind of tractor or implement I may be shopping for in the future.

/ Factor the dealer in when buying a tractor. #2  
It certainly does not instill confidence when the customer knows more than the salesperson :eek:. I hate to slam TSC, but it happens to me there a lot :(. Jay

/ Factor the dealer in when buying a tractor. #3  
You can say that about dealers for most anything. My local VW dealer service department is... well... useless and VWOA doesn't care. They don't even stock parts that are mandatory to be changed out when the timing belt is changed, they don't see any need to. The next nearest dealer, that has a clue, is 75 miles away. I love my VW TDI, but based on VW's service, I won't have another.

/ Factor the dealer in when buying a tractor. #4  
"You can say that about dealers for most anything."
Yeah no kidding....
The local Dodge dealer sold diesel trucks for quite sometime, yet had NO diesel mechanic.
UGHHHHHHH

I'm a Kioti dealer.....how many sets do you want :p

It's very irritating when that happens.
I have a local "auto parts" store that makes hydraulic hoses.
I told him I wanted a 24" piece with swivel 90's on each end and 1/2" pipe thread.
He couldn't make it....reason.....He didn't have the old one.
My problem, there was NO old one.
Went 20 miles down the road to the same exact "chain" name.
Guy behind the counter said sure and walked out 5 mins later with what I wanted.

Good Service means ALOT!

BTI

/ Factor the dealer in when buying a tractor. #5  
When dealers or businesses are hiring help it really is amazing at the lists of peoples abilities and how they can fall flat when put on the firing line.
We try to educate our help with our knowledge and some times I wish osmosis worked!
It is hard, and I know that there are no two businesses alike but most do want to put their best foot forward but some times the all spokes in our wheels just don't help to carry the load!

/ Factor the dealer in when buying a tractor. #6  
art said:
When dealers or businesses are hiring help it really is amazing at the lists of peoples abilities and how they can fall flat when put on the firing line.
We try to educate our help with our knowledge and some times I wish osmosis worked!
It is hard, and I know that there are no two businesses alike but most do want to put their best foot forward but some times the all spokes in our wheels just don't help to carry the load!

I think the biggest challenge is teaching the attitude to _try_ to help the customer. Part of that can be developed by giving the staff some ownership of the success (and failure) of the company, but the rest just boils down to a willingness to serve. It'd be interesting to retry BTI's 2 foot custom hose experiment with a muy caliente female customer (not saying that BTI isn't muy caliente himself...haha)

/ Factor the dealer in when buying a tractor. #7  
mjncad said:
On the way home from my Deere dealer, I decided to stop in the Kioti dealer to see if they had those stepped bushings (Cat 1 to Cat3) to install on the implement lift pins for use with Quick-Hitches. My Deere dealer didn't have any, and I cleaned out the local farm store of the two pair they had. I could use one more pair; but I'm in no hurry for them.

On Tuesday picked up the specific JD bushing kit so I could actually mount a JD Ballast Box on JD I-Match. There are actually two busings for the top bracket on the I-Match. One should fit inside the other - and would if not for a full length burr on the inside of each bushing AND both bushings are about 3/16" too long for a fit in the top bracket itself. So much for Quality Control.

/ Factor the dealer in when buying a tractor.
It certainly does not instill confidence when the customer knows more than the salesperson :eek:. I hate to slam TSC, but it happens to me there a lot :(. Jay

This happens to me at Home Despot, Doh's (Lowe's) and more places than I can count.

I'm a Kioti dealer.....how many sets do you want :p

It's very irritating when that happens.
I have a local "auto parts" store that makes hydraulic hoses.
I told him I wanted a 24" piece with swivel 90's on each end and 1/2" pipe thread.
He couldn't make it....reason.....He didn't have the old one.
My problem, there was NO old one.
Went 20 miles down the road to the same exact "chain" name.
Guy behind the counter said sure and walked out 5 mins later with what I wanted.

Good Service means ALOT!

BTI

I need one more set; but I am in no hurry for it since it's for an implement I rarely use. An inDUHvidual who can't make a hose based on what you described should be working at Wendy's, or better yet picking up trash at the park where he/she doesn't have to deal with customers.

jcimsQuote:
Originally Posted by art

I think the biggest challenge is teaching the attitude to _try_ to help the customer. Part of that can be developed by giving the staff some ownership of the success (and failure) of the company, but the rest just boils down to a willingness to serve. It'd be interesting to retry BTI's 2 foot custom hose experiment with a muy caliente female customer (not saying that BTI isn't muy caliente himself...haha)

After checking Kioti's dealer locator, I think the guy I encountered may be the owner. How's that for a scary thought.

On Tuesday picked up the specific JD bushing kit so I could actually mount a JD Ballast Box on JD I-Match. There are actually two busings for the top bracket on the I-Match. One should fit inside the other - and would if not for a full length burr on the inside of each bushing AND both bushings are about 3/16" too long for a fit in the top bracket itself. So much for Quality Control.

Ah so the factory in India or China that JD outsourced the bushing manufacturing to didn't remove the weld seam from the pipe. I make Quick-Hitch top link bushings from 1-1/4" O.D. x 7/8" I.D. DOM (Drawn Over Mandrel) tubing or 1" Schedule 160 pipe, which ever I can obtain at the scrap yard. I have my bushings powder coated when I have other parts that need to be done since I don't know of anyplace local that does the yellow zinc dichromate plating; but I also haven't looked for a plater since I don't make enough stuff that warrants plating.

/ Factor the dealer in when buying a tractor. #9  
jcims said:
I think the biggest challenge is teaching the attitude to _try_ to help the customer. Part of that can be developed by giving the staff some ownership of the success (and failure) of the company, but the rest just boils down to a willingness to serve.

That is well-said and spot on...

/ Factor the dealer in when buying a tractor. #10  
I am willing to pay a few bucks more for a knowledgeable dealership with a polite, helpful staff. I walk right out when I feel confronted or annoyed with a salesman anymore. I'm actually doing his boss a favor and hastening that salesman's demise.

I have an excellent, albeit small Kubota dealer near me. The Deere dealers are more defensive & confrontational. In the next town over, it could be just the opposite.

In these times today where money is tight, I think more people are finding they have to pinch their nose and buy from lowball charlie.