Tractor Shopping

/ Tractor Shopping
The location displayed in the pictures and as stated by the dealer did not physically exist in 2004.

mowpower said:
Maybe your dealer has had a dealership since 2004 but just not on that location. Anyway I would look at Kubota L3400 as a basic tractor go with the hydro and a FEL and your price is around $17,000. Varies with location, tires and so on. With what you have to do the L2800,3400 or even a B7800 would be a nice choice. If you step up to a Grand L3240 your're looking about $20K with hydro and FEL. I am also in the market for a tractor and have about the same work as you do that is why I mention the above models. A backhoe would be nice but at $5000-$7000 for that option I can't see it getting used enough. For the digging I have I will rent a trackhoe or hire it out. Can't help you on the Mahindra.

/ Tractor Shopping #12  
wvtechs said:
I am considering a new tractor purchase in the $15,000 to $20,000 range and have a general idea of what I need but have yet to make a final decision on brand, dealer, etc...

From my research, I have tended to favor either Mahindra or Kubota because support is limited for the other "colors" in my area. There are some Deere dealers here but I have ruled them out because they are far too pricey and seem to give much less "bang for the buck" in my humble opinion. Sorry Deere fans.

I have 5 acres of property and a 1000ft gravel driveway to maintain so durability is my #1 concern. I do not abuse equipment but I will not baby it either and will certainly use it frequently. Some of the things I would be doing with my new tractor (in order of priority) include:

1. Grading and adding gravel to the driveway.
2. Clearing and grading medium-sloped land.
3. Brush cutting.
4. Plowing and tilling several gardens.
5. Loading and unloading topsoil & manure.
6. Miscellaneous tasks as needed.

To date, much of my preliminary research has been limited to the internet and a few phone calls here and there but today I visited a Mahindra "dealer" and got a "quote" for a new Mahindra model 3215 4wd (Gear) tractor with FEL for the first time.

The Mahindra tractors were somewhat impressive looking but I was not impressed with dealer at all. From the moment I walked on the lot I felt like I was at a used car dealership, as if my mere presence was a bother to them. To make matters worse, the "salesman" blew it within the first 30 seconds of speaking to me by telling me a lie when I made an off hand comment about them being a new dealership.

Basically, they are a brand new dealership (2 months old) and the salesman tried to make it appear that they had been in existence for much longer. I am a local and have an intimate knowlege of the entire area and know exactly when they opened. Additionally, they have pictures of their dealership on their poorly-designed website which were dated 2004 to make it appear they have been around much longer than 2 months. In 2004 their dealership was a vacant lot. Seriously, do they think I have stupid tatooed on my forehead? Otherwise, I just had a really bad feeling about them from the very beginning. Additionally, the salesman informed me that they did not let anyone "demo" tractors but I could sit on it and start it up if I liked. He also "highly" recommended a gear version rather than an HST for the type of tasks I listed above, which conflicts with everything I have read.

The quote I received was: Mahindra model 3215 (gear) with FEL $16956.00 Backhoe with 16 inch bucket would be $5555.00 extra. Personally, I felt like the prices he quoted me were a bit high but since Mahindra chose not to post the MSRP's on their website, it is difficult to be sure. When I am about to spend this much money, trust is NOT an option. I would like to have a baseline price to give me some idea what the price actually should be. For this reason alone, I may ultimately buy a Kubota.

Kubota or Mahindra?
Mahindra MSRP's not keeping dealers honest?
Mahindra quote too high?
Gear or HST?

Thats my story so far. In a nutshell, HELP!

And I thought getting the wife to let me buy a new toy would be the hard part. LOL

With only 5 acres, get a Kubota BX24.
I traded in a 2005 Kubota B7510HST (21 hp engine, 17 hp pto) with the LA302 FEL (4 ft bucket) for a Mahindra 5525 gear tranny tractor (55 hp engine, 45 hp pto).

I have 10 acres of flat pasture land. The 7510 was fine for mowing and FEL work. Now that I plan to put 7 acres into hay, the 5525 will handle all those chores.

/ Tractor Shopping #13  
wvtechs said:
Here is an update on my status so far. I talked to a competing dealer and managed to get a quote of $20,730 for:

Mahindra 3215 4WD Gear Tractor (I think I prefer the gear model)
Skid-type FEL
Brush Guard
Mahindra Backhoe with a 16 inch bucket
5' slider blade
Half price ($150.00) to load the tires
Free delivery.

Does this sound like a good deal?

Price seems reasonable.

/ Tractor Shopping #14  
does not sound like a bad price to me -- and you'll love the skid steer type QA bucket on the loader!

/ Tractor Shopping
Erik_in_Hoyt said:
you'll love the skid steer type QA bucket on the loader!

I agree, and already have my eye on some attachments including a set of pallet forks.

/ Tractor Shopping #16  
I think I'd be looking at HST ( bite my tounge ) since you will be doing lots of loader work.. or stuff that variable speed may be usefull in.

soundguy

/ Tractor Shopping #17  
wvtechs said:
I agree, and already have my eye on some attachments including a set of pallet forks.
pallet forks with headache rack are very handy for a wide range of uses, including carting around pallets of hay bales or firewood. I even used mine for moving some big chunks of limestone when building a retaining wall.

/ Tractor Shopping #18  
Mahindra 3215 4WD Gear Tractor (I think I prefer the gear model)

Surely the Mahindra Dealer will let you at least drive the tractor on his lot. You need to try the Hydrostat versus the Gear before you make a decision. Hydrostat makes doing any kind of FEL work a breeze whereas a gear tractor..............clutch shift forward, clutch shift reverse, clutch shift forward, clutch shift reverse, clutch shift forward, ....you'll tire yourself out man.

Not sure if Mahindra makes a Syncro Shuttle Shift type transmission but that would be an alternative to at least consider.

Good Luck,

Vic

/ Tractor Shopping #19  
I wouldn't consider buying from a dealer that would let me test drive a tractor...

soundguy

/ Tractor Shopping #20  
Soundguy said:
I wouldn't consider buying from a dealer that would let me test drive a tractor...

soundguy

Totally Agree !!