Tractor Shopping

/ Tractor Shopping #1  

MasseyWV

Elite Member
Tractor
I am considering a new tractor purchase in the $15,000 to $20,000 range and have a general idea of what I need but have yet to make a final decision on brand, dealer, etc...

From my research, I have tended to favor either Mahindra or Kubota because support is limited for the other "colors" in my area. There are some Deere dealers here but I have ruled them out because they are far too pricey and seem to give much less "bang for the buck" in my humble opinion. Sorry Deere fans.

I have 5 acres of property and a 1000ft gravel driveway to maintain so durability is my #1 concern. I do not abuse equipment but I will not baby it either and will certainly use it frequently. Some of the things I would be doing with my new tractor (in order of priority) include:

1. Grading and adding gravel to the driveway.
2. Clearing and grading medium-sloped land.
3. Brush cutting.
4. Plowing and tilling several gardens.
5. Loading and unloading topsoil & manure.
6. Miscellaneous tasks as needed.

To date, much of my preliminary research has been limited to the internet and a few phone calls here and there but today I visited a Mahindra "dealer" and got a "quote" for a new Mahindra model 3215 4wd (Gear) tractor with FEL for the first time.

The Mahindra tractors were somewhat impressive looking but I was not impressed with dealer at all. From the moment I walked on the lot I felt like I was at a used car dealership, as if my mere presence was a bother to them. To make matters worse, the "salesman" blew it within the first 30 seconds of speaking to me by telling me a lie when I made an off hand comment about them being a new dealership.

Basically, they are a brand new dealership (2 months old) and the salesman tried to make it appear that they had been in existence for much longer. I am a local and have an intimate knowlege of the entire area and know exactly when they opened. Additionally, they have pictures of their dealership on their poorly-designed website which were dated 2004 to make it appear they have been around much longer than 2 months. In 2004 their dealership was a vacant lot. Seriously, do they think I have stupid tatooed on my forehead? Otherwise, I just had a really bad feeling about them from the very beginning. Additionally, the salesman informed me that they did not let anyone "demo" tractors but I could sit on it and start it up if I liked. He also "highly" recommended a gear version rather than an HST for the type of tasks I listed above, which conflicts with everything I have read.

The quote I received was: Mahindra model 3215 (gear) with FEL $16956.00 Backhoe with 16 inch bucket would be $5555.00 extra. Personally, I felt like the prices he quoted me were a bit high but since Mahindra chose not to post the MSRP's on their website, it is difficult to be sure. When I am about to spend this much money, trust is NOT an option. I would like to have a baseline price to give me some idea what the price actually should be. For this reason alone, I may ultimately buy a Kubota.

Kubota or Mahindra?
Mahindra MSRP's not keeping dealers honest?
Mahindra quote too high?
Gear or HST?

Thats my story so far. In a nutshell, HELP!

And I thought getting the wife to let me buy a new toy would be the hard part. LOL

/ Tractor Shopping #2  
Take a look at older ag tractors i bought this 1993 MF 390 fwa ,70 pto hp,5500hrs 12-12 shuttle shift/Electronic range change ,3pt,Brand new radials all round,Loader,84in bucket,Grapple,Bale spear,Square bale fork,Heat,Air con,CD player,Sun hatch, Pick-up trailer hook,4hyd's,40k road gear ......$8500......Auctions...?

/ Tractor Shopping #3  
Gear would be a good choice for your tasks. I love HST. But, you hardly "need" it for your chores.

/ Tractor Shopping #4  
that doesn't sound like a bad price on the 3215, I think the BH price sounds high, but you're very right to be suspicious if they're lying about things that basic - and "feel" was important to me when I was shopping.
Is there another Mahindra dealer anywhere close?
also, which Kubota are you looking at?

/ Tractor Shopping #5  
Dear WVTECH:

I also live in Charleston, West Virginia and if you do not have to have a new Kubota you may want to contact me. I own a Kubota M5700 MFWD with a Kubota Loader that has approximately 57 gross hp and 52 hp to the PTO. It has been kept in a garage since it was unloaded off the truck new. It has a canopy, folding ROPS, new battery, agriculture tires, sychronized shuttle shift, a brush guard and only 500 hours. I would not sell it for love or money. However, the person that has farmed a large part of my 600 acre farm in south eastern Ohio can no longer take care of all the acreage he has been taking care of with his equipment. Therefore, I needed to buy a larger tractor and some related equipment, and can't justify keeping both tractors long term. I have used the Kubota to bushhog with and some very light loader work. In fact the paint hasn't fully worn off the inside of the bucket yet. I can make you a lot better deal than dealer can on a new M6040 which would be the equivalent new model.

/ Tractor Shopping #6  
Dear WV Tech:

I just realized you only have five acres to take care of. Honestly, you probably don't need a tractor as large as my Kubota. But if you know of anyone that is interested send them my way as I am just starting to advertise it.

/ Tractor Shopping #7  
Maybe your dealer has had a dealership since 2004 but just not on that location. Anyway I would look at Kubota L3400 as a basic tractor go with the hydro and a FEL and your price is around $17,000. Varies with location, tires and so on. With what you have to do the L2800,3400 or even a B7800 would be a nice choice. If you step up to a Grand L3240 your're looking about $20K with hydro and FEL. I am also in the market for a tractor and have about the same work as you do that is why I mention the above models. A backhoe would be nice but at $5000-$7000 for that option I can't see it getting used enough. For the digging I have I will rent a trackhoe or hire it out. Can't help you on the Mahindra.

/ Tractor Shopping #8  
That price does not sound too bad. Make sure you are happy with the dealer. I was very green, still am, but starting to ripen, when I purchased my 3215 4WD w/fel. I purchased in 06/07 a 2006 model, which only had one hour. I thought I had 2 PTO's until I got it home and a month later finally noticed it only has one. No big deal for me since all of my implements are pulled behind. I should have paid closer attention, but was so excited about getting a tractor. Stupidity on my part.

I chose the closest dealer who was a little pricier, but it gave me peace of mind just in case I had any problems (so far 63 hours and nothing wrong).

I went with a gear tranny instead of HST due to a little cheaper and one last thing I would have to worry about breaking. The gear is so easy and I am very used to it. I might be wrong, but I think HST takes a couple more HP to run.

IMO you cannot go wrong with the brand. It has done everything I have needed it to. I do get a lot of razzin from the guys I work with, who don't even own a tractor, but it is all in fun. I would put Mahindra up against any brand.

Good luck and take your time tractor shopping.

/ Tractor Shopping
Here is an update on my status so far. I talked to a competing dealer and managed to get a quote of $20,730 for:

Mahindra 3215 4WD Gear Tractor (I think I prefer the gear model)
Skid-type FEL
Brush Guard
Mahindra Backhoe with a 16 inch bucket
5' slider blade
Half price ($150.00) to load the tires
Free delivery.

Does this sound like a good deal?

/ Tractor Shopping
Thanks for the offer but I agree that it would have been overkill for the type of chores I have.

hotchkiss said:
Dear WV Tech:

I just realized you only have five acres to take care of. Honestly, you probably don't need a tractor as large as my Kubota. But if you know of anyone that is interested send them my way as I am just starting to advertise it.