Dozer vs. Tractor

/ Dozer vs. Tractor #21  
I am in Sandmans category, was on the phone this morning. Looks like $800 for a weekend rental to do my driveway JD 450 is the smallest available to rent.

Sounds an awful lot like why I ended up owning a backhoe.

/ Dozer vs. Tractor #22  
So 310 Guy's have you ever seen a loader bucket like this one?
I pick this up new years weekend - I did some horse trading with a fellow I've had dealings with before.
He hasn't had this for long and has no info on it - so I thought I'd ask here!
This is a 4 cyl.gasoline, 40 h.p. ,3 spd forward -1 revsre.
1953 to 1956 310 crawler.
That's what he tells me ,he got from the guy he got it from.
So I'll leave it to you guys (and gals) to help me out!
(Sorry, it's so big it was the only way I could get it to work and I'm not good with computers much.)
I'm not sure if the bottom of that bucket is supposed to be like that or if it's bent ,it doesn't lookstriaght from my point of view and the bars bolted into the bucket is the doing of the guy I'm getting it from .
Any one know what a normal bucket is worth?
Or I may weld up my own ?

Attachments

• DSCF0011%20(1).jpg
    DSCF0011%20(1).jpg
    991 KB · Views: 893
Last edited by a moderator:
   / Dozer vs. Tractor #23  
I would have to double check in my shop manual, but it looks like the factory Case loader of that time.

/ Dozer vs. Tractor #24  
I would say the buckets look about the same. This is the one I just picked up on saturday. Actually my trailer was too icy so it got clanked up the side of the road. Took forever, ended up blowing the water pump and I had to drag it with the Zetor. Turns out its a 420 rather than a 310, but basically that's the same machine. Ordered an alternator and a water pump from Crawler Heaven out in NY, that guy seems to really know his machines.
1229091204b-1.jpg
[/IMG]
1229091204.jpg
[/IMG]
1229091204a.jpg
[/IMG]

/ Dozer vs. Tractor #25  
Well,I went to pick up the 310 dozer above and the guy came clean and told me there is no oil pressure.
That deals off.
I went back to looking and found a Massey Ferguson 200 with new undercarrage (but it needs to be installed) and a 6 way power blade.
Estate sale ,bought it delivered to my shop as is for 1900.00cnd.
I'm figuring the sporckets and chain gotta be worth that.
It hasn't been run is 1 1/2 yrs,has had the boat sitting on top all that time.
The father bought it with about 200 hrs on it no idea what's on it now.
He cleared a 40 acre. plot and a 24 acre plot and then it was just used for clearing snow and draging things around. The exhaust was removed when the machine got parked where it is to replace the chains and sprockets as it was rotten, the Dad passed away at this stag and no one wants to touch it.
There is water in the exhaust manifold as seen in the picture but the boat got moved when the first guy came to lookand it's been raining hard here right now - or it's been wet for a long time.
Rebuild kits look pretty cheap at $600.00, I think I read somewhere it's about a 30hr job to rebuild a ab3.152 perkins ,I'll $30.00 an hour to get that done and I'll have a new motor for $1500.00 and a nice little machine for under $5 grand.
Anyone have any knowledge of the MF 200 Manuels etc

Attachments

• MF 200 Dozer 002.jpg
    MF 200 Dozer 002.jpg
    305.7 KB · Views: 690
  • MF 200 Dozer 005.jpg
    MF 200 Dozer 005.jpg
    260.1 KB · Views: 960
  • MF 200 Dozer 010.jpg
    MF 200 Dozer 010.jpg
    277.8 KB · Views: 285
  • MF 200 Dozer 012.jpg
    MF 200 Dozer 012.jpg
    283.6 KB · Views: 243
  • MF 200 Dozer 011.jpg
    MF 200 Dozer 011.jpg
    287 KB · Views: 300
  • MF 200 Dozer 004.jpg
    MF 200 Dozer 004.jpg
    279.5 KB · Views: 411
   / Dozer vs. Tractor #26  
Nice looking machine, to bad about the motor. It kills me to see equipment without a muffler sitting around. So did you get a boat and some barbed wire tossed in the deal as well?

/ Dozer vs. Tractor #27  
I have that same engine in a MF 30 TLB . MF sure loved that Perkins 3.152.
I have gotten parts at a couple of places, the last was a MF farm tractor dealer.
He said he could get parts for any MF ever made.
I have read that MF has their parts system on line and you just have to get a dealer to set you up for access.
Have not tried myself. Mabie Brothers in Syracuse NY was recommended to me by a guy who works on Perkins engines all the time.

/ Dozer vs. Tractor #28  
Hi Guys,
need some advice

I finally got out of the tractor vs dozer dilema and decided for a dozer, mini, tiny dozer! the work is on small properties like 1/2 1/4 acres, confined spaces around buildings, moving earth, planting material etc.
I found the struck corp's Magnatrac machines. Surprisingly I could not find recent threads about these tractors in order to get some user input on the matter.
Are these machines reliable for commercial use, like daily use or rental?
they would be used in Romania at the bottom of Europe.
Hope I do not disturb much.

I would expect a problem with the strucks to be resale, I'd think you'd be lucky to get 1/2 if not less of whatever you paid, that assuming you'd resell in excellent condition.

They are so light, I can't imagine them being able to do much more than a 30hp tractor could do.

They are cool to look at though.

Joel

/ Dozer vs. Tractor #29  
Larry,

Great pics!!! I agree, the dozer compliments the tractors, but it is so specialized that in my opinion, the tractor is still king. On certain things, my dozer is just amazing, but I've also come to learn that when used for the wrong things, it creates more work for me. Clearing roads is a good example. I started out tearing through the woods, taking out trees and making a huge mess. Then I spent allot of time cleaning it up. With the tractor, I can take out the trees and move them to the burn pile in about a quarter of the time that it takes to do it with the dozer first.

I'm comparing a 168hp dozer to a 80hp backhoe tractor.

Eddie

I could not agree more with the first 23 words in this post.

Dozers are extremely specialized, they are excellent at pushing and pulling.

They are not excellent at digging.

Unless the machine is really large, they are not very effective at stumping, not like an excavator or large backhoe.

Unless you've got the right soil and you are an excellent opperator, they are not easy to grade with, forget about it with my rocky soil.

They can not be driven on sod and they can not be driven on your driveway (I look fondly at my spin around track marks each day driving to and from work).

When they brake, they brake. I have admiration for you guys who buy the field machines and rehab. The amount of time and money involved is staggering. You literally need a winch or jack to do just about anything on a tracked machine.

I know I had visions of driving straight over and through stuff and ending up with a table top yard. Nope.

I have yet to find a better all around machine than a 30 HP TLB.

But let me tell you, when you are backing up your driveway with 15K of block loaded onto a trailer and that trailer hitch on your truck rips off and that trailer and truck are paperweights accross the street out in front of your house. There is nothing quite like pulling out the dozer, hooking up a chain and dragging the entire mess right up the driveway like butter.

Joel