Tractor Sizing buying first tractor, help with size?

/ buying first tractor, help with size? #1  

bbrewster

Hi everyone, my first time posting a question....by the way I think this is a great site for gaining info, thanks to everyone for sharing your experiences to us "lesser experienced folks". I have approximately 15 acres and will be buying a tractor to assist in cleanup and then to maintain the property. At the present time about 5 acres has been cut for timber, about 2 acres has small pines 2 to 4 inch diameter and the rest of the property is wooded with adult pines. The timber company really made a mess leaving tops, uprooted stumps and some downed trees. I'll also have to build about an 800ft roadway. (Most of the acreage will be left wooded)

Presently looking at mahindra 3510 and Kubota 3240 both 4wd with loaders and also got what I thought was a good quote from a local dealer on a Mah. 4110 4wd with ML112 loader for $18950 only $50 more than the 3510. My only concern is the extra 900 pounds. When I do finally get the place in shape and using the tractor mainly to cut grass will the extra weight damage the yard? Anyone out there with a 4110? any suggesstions?

/ buying first tractor, help with size? #2  
The Mahindra 4110 actually has better floatation because of the wider tires, and it is only about 500 lbs heavier than the 3510. Also that additional weight is a great advantage when doing loader work.

/ buying first tractor, help with size? #3  
Welcome.:D :D :D

A smaller lighter machine may not be able to do the initial work in a decent time frame!:D

/ buying first tractor, help with size? #4  
Normally for mixed work.. i say hire the big jobs out, and then get a tractor that will do the other 80% of the work.. but in your case.. uper 30's and even 40 hp machine, 4wd with a loader sounds like it will be very usefull to you.

Lotsa power.. and the loader will be preceless. As for the stumps.. those are tough.. not any easy fast way to get rid of them. Grinders cost $$$.. backhoes cost $$$.. etc. it migh be worth your while to hire an excavator to come in and get rid of the stumps.. that or cut em flush to the ground, and / or split them with a splitting wedge and cut them.. help them decay better.. etc.

soundguy

bbrewster said:
Hi everyone, my first time posting a question....by the way I think this is a great site for gaining info, thanks to everyone for sharing your experiences to us "lesser experienced folks". I have approximately 15 acres and will be buying a tractor to assist in cleanup and then to maintain the property. At the present time about 5 acres has been cut for timber, about 2 acres has small pines 2 to 4 inch diameter and the rest of the property is wooded with adult pines. The timber company really made a mess leaving tops, uprooted stumps and some downed trees. I'll also have to build about an 800ft roadway. (Most of the acreage will be left wooded)

Presently looking at mahindra 3510 and Kubota 3240 both 4wd with loaders and also got what I thought was a good quote from a local dealer on a Mah. 4110 4wd with ML112 loader for $18950 only $50 more than the 3510. My only concern is the extra 900 pounds. When I do finally get the place in shape and using the tractor mainly to cut grass will the extra weight damage the yard? Anyone out there with a 4110? any suggesstions?

/ buying first tractor, help with size? #5  
bbrewster:

Welcome to TBN :D! I tend to agree with soundguy. A tractor is no excavator. Jay

/ buying first tractor, help with size? #6  
I worked with a contractor a couple years ago who had a 4110 TLB and I was pretty impressed with it - and the level of service he got from his local dealer. On the other hand, I have to agree with the others - if you're wanting it to dig stumps, you're going to be in for a lot of work. If the stumps were ripped out of the ground by the loggers and left lying, then you should be good to go for moving them and filling in the holes.

/ buying first tractor, help with size?
Thanks everyone for the info...I think I'll make a trip to the dealer this week to check out the 4110

/ buying first tractor, help with size? #8  
Hello, have you looked at Branson Tractors yet? To me it sounds that the 20 series unit 35/38 hp would be good for you. Pay particular attention to the loader on the unit you are looking at. I was impressed with the larger tractor, but the loader killed the deal for me. Even with no load in the bucket, the loader would sway side to side considerably while I drove over semi level ground. (It would be worse and uncontrollable with a load) I have a Branson (Zetor) 3520 with loader and hoe, etc, and I have been very happy with it.

/ buying first tractor, help with size? #9  
Welcome to TBN. I have to agree with hiring someone to pull the stumps. The tractors difference in size is more what you are going to do later. When you say tearing up your yard, how big of a yard are you going to have?

Think about if you are going to maintain your wooded area or just let it go? Will you build trails in those woods, will you create pasture out of some of the acreage? etc...

Sit on more than one brand of tractor if at all possible. Drive tham around the lot and see how they fit you. Not all tractors fit the same to all users. Find a dealer that you feel that you can trust and enjoy the experience of learning about tractors.

Good luck on your search and keep us posted.

/ buying first tractor, help with size? #10  
Look at the differances in loader strengths. You may find a slight step upwards makes a heck of alot of differance!

Also, personality comes into play. I'd get a 40hp if I had 5 acres just to get the loader strength. Now if it was 2700lb lift and still 5' wide tractor. That'd be nice!