Absolute newbie- am I being realistic?

/ Absolute newbie- am I being realistic? #11  
If the dump truck drivers know what they're doing you won't need anything more than a small tractor with a box blade to do your driveway. A good dump truck driver can lay down the gravel so well that you'll barely need to grade it. I'd find a small utility tractor like a MF135 and go to work.

/ Absolute newbie- am I being realistic? #12  
Jon Best said:
I am faced with several $7K quotes to gravel my 500' driveway, and some quick calculations that produce about $2K of gravel necessary to do the job.

The buying a tractor thing has been addressed and addressed well. I won't add to it.

However, if Joe Schmuck's driveway company is charging you 7k to do 500' of driveway, he's ripping you off.

I had 600' of driveway done with #57 Rock back in November of 2006. That's only been a year and a half ago...gas has doubled, but surely the prices haven't gotten that high. I paid 650 a truckload (14wheeler dumptruck) at around 28 tons a load. It took 4 loads, but I could have gotten by with 3. I just didn't want them to disappear into the sand and me be calling him back in a few years, so I had him lay them thick. That's about 26-2700 bucks! Add extra gas prices and be generous...ok 3500 bucks, 4k tops. 7K is ridiculous!

GaryCrowell is absolutely on the money! A good driver will lay it as thin or thick as you want it and never miss a lick. You won't have to touch it for MONTHS afterward in regards to boxblading it level again!

7k for 500' of driveway:eek: ...I'm in the wrong line of work!:rolleyes:

Podunk

ps. I forgot to mention that the dumptruck driver was driving 200 miles round trip to go get the rock, 100 miles up to Auburn, 100 miles back.

/ Absolute newbie- am I being realistic? #13  
Spend $2/foot for the Geotex fabric under the driveway, put down 4-6" of #304 or #411 in 2" layers compact each layer. Then, a 2-3" layer of #57's and you won't have to do much to the drive for 5-10 years, (unless you drive a semi).
Also, you won't need a big tractor to maintain it.

/ Absolute newbie- am I being realistic? #14  
ray66v said:
Spend $2/foot for the Geotex fabric under the driveway, put down 4-6" of #304 or #411 in 2" layers compact each layer. Then, a 2-3" layer of #57's and you won't have to do much to the drive for 5-10 years, (unless you drive a semi).
Also, you won't need a big tractor to maintain it.

I definitely agree with ray66 regarding the geotextile fabric. It appears to be doing the job with approaching MUD SEASON in my driveway :). Jay

/ Absolute newbie- am I being realistic? #15  
Google Ferguson Tractor in Emporia, VA. He has a good website and numerous tractors in your range. You may be a little low on your estimate and getting a loader on a decent tractor. #57 for 16 tons was $285.00 in Nov 06 about 100 miles from where you live. My drive was approx 600', used 4 loads and have had little problems. Sure must be some expensive gravel at the beach.

Eddie

/ Absolute newbie- am I being realistic? #16  
I got my rig for $5000, with 4' BH and 5' FM about 3 years ago. All is a 1999 model. I watched the paper, Ebay, Craigslist and a few dealers (high prices at the dealers). Found it on Ebay. There are some deals out there.

Kubota L2500 Tractor Page

/ Absolute newbie- am I being realistic? #17  
Looks like you could concrete it or black top it for that.
Jon Best said:
I am faced with several $7K quotes to gravel my 500' driveway, and some quick calculations that produce about $2K of gravel necessary to do the job.

/ Absolute newbie- am I being realistic? #18  
I priced c-n-r in January: $389 for 21 tons. I didn't get it because I wasn't quite ready. I called and priced it again in March: $635! Price is going up fast and I still haven't bought it. Still not ready.

/ Absolute newbie- am I being realistic? #19  
LBrown59 said:
Looks like you could concrete it or black top it for that. [/color]

Almost sounds like all the people quoting were talking to each other?:eek:

/ Absolute newbie- am I being realistic? #20  
If the guy is going to start from scratch, dig down a ways, lay in heavy rock, go over it with a vibrating roller, lay in another layer of smaller rock, roll that, then lay in a third layer and roll that, and finally topcoat it with a show coat that he doesn't roll, the price quotes sound reasonable. If all you're talking is tailspreading a few loads of crushed local stone, they aren't.

A lot depends on what the job entails and what kind of stone you're going to use, but I had about three times that much drive done from scratch, layering 6-10" sandstone, then medium stone, then crusher run, all packed down with a vibrating roller, for less than those quotes. A couple years later, I had a top coat of blue dolomite put down for appearances and the cost was pretty high compared to the previous work due to the fact that the stone had to come from 60 miles away rather than being local. Whenever I plow the snow, the only thing I tear up is the top coating of pretty stuff. The crusher run that was packed down is doing fine. Makes me wish I hadn't gotten the other stuff put on top.