Absolute newbie- am I being realistic?

/ Absolute newbie- am I being realistic? #1  

Jon Best

Tractor
yet to be determined
I am faced with several $7K quotes to gravel my 500' driveway, and some quick calculations that produce about $2K of gravel necessary to do the job.

Add in the fact that we have 3 acres of mostly grass (or something that looks a lot like it), some beds to clean out down to dirt, a bunch of sand to move around, a gravel driveway that needs more regular maintenance than we give it, and an easily accessible goat shed I don't like spending as much time as I do now cleaning out (along with a potential added 2-horse shed).

It all says small tractor with a box blade and frontloader to me.

I've been looking around all the online classifieds, bought a trader, and above all done a lot of reading on this site and others.

I am basically pretty mechanically inclined, and don't mind spending the time and effort to figure out routine maintenance and what do do when things don't go right.

So I suppose the bottom line is, is it realistic to be looking for a 4wd, 18-25 HP decent used tractor I can expect a number of years out of with good maintenance, in the $3500-5500 range? What are the most likely candidates? What do I look out for in certain models?

Of course, I'll keep reading, but I would really appreciate any input anyone can contribute. I'm hoping on doing this sooner rather than later, if possible. Oh, and I'm in Virginia Beach, VA. I can't seem to find any bigger used or gray market tractor dealers very close to me.

/ Absolute newbie- am I being realistic? #2  
I live on 5 acres in Northern California and just bought my brother's used Kubota L-2250. I paid $4,500 gladdly after seeing many others that were not near as nice for $8K and up. I do not think I would sell mine for less than $10K with the attachements.

He must have got tired of loaning it to me and gave me a great deal on it!

My brother owns a winery and when this one lost the clutch, he went out and bought a new Kubota. The automatic trans and power steering is nice on his new one, but the old one has a Gannon Box scraper and a much stronger bucket. My nephew was pissed off that he didn't sell me the new one and keep the old Kubota! After they replaced the clutch on it, it runs strong and I really like the 4 WD and size and power.

I would strongly recommend Kubota! I just bought a Yanmar Tiller for it and am in the process of welding the new plates to match the Gannon.

/ Absolute newbie- am I being realistic? #3  
You can get a new 35hp mahindra gear model ( no loader ) for about 8000$

I'd look for low hour used equipment at dealers. i saw a NH 1630 the other day for ? 4500$.. drop a loader on that puppy and it would have been great for what you want. Check all brands and dealers for low hour trades.

Soundguy

/ Absolute newbie- am I being realistic? #4  
Jon Best:

Welcome to TBN :D! I think you are headed in the right direction :). Jay

/ Absolute newbie- am I being realistic? #5  
Soundguy said:
You can get a new 35hp mahindra gear model ( no loader ) for about 8000$

I'd look for low hour used equipment at dealers. i saw a NH 1630 the other day for ? 4500$.. drop a loader on that puppy and it would have been great for what you want. Check all brands and dealers for low hour trades.

Soundguy

i agree, go used if you can find a very good deal. try a few out and then make your selection.

/ Absolute newbie- am I being realistic? #6  
welcome to TBN - and you're on the right track with the 18-25 HP idea.
they'll fit into stalls real easy and still be able to grade your drive. (may take a while, but they'll do it)
if you've got the time to wait, you should be able to find a good unit in that price range. If not, then you'll have an easier time finding one in the $7-10k range.

/ Absolute newbie- am I being realistic? #7  
If you can find one, an older Kubota B7100 would be about perfect for you. I got $4500 for mine in trade, but another dealer was only offering $3k. Look for gears instead of HST and it will be cheaper. Mine was supposedly only 16hp, but those are mighty strong horses, maybe Morgans or something.

/ Absolute newbie- am I being realistic?
Thanks a lot for the replies. Any VA/NC dealers I should be considering?

/ Absolute newbie- am I being realistic? #9  
I also suggest checking Craigslist under farm and garden. I see them there in your price range all the time.

Also check TBN classifieds.

/ Absolute newbie- am I being realistic? #10  
Jon Best said:
Thanks a lot for the replies. Any VA/NC dealers I should be considering?

Greenline in VA - good deals

NC should have some great deals down there with the JD plant down there?