Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tractor
    yet to be determined

Default Absolute newbie- am I being realistic?

I am faced with several $7K quotes to gravel my 500' driveway, and some quick calculations that produce about $2K of gravel necessary to do the job.

Add in the fact that we have 3 acres of mostly grass (or something that looks a lot like it), some beds to clean out down to dirt, a bunch of sand to move around, a gravel driveway that needs more regular maintenance than we give it, and an easily accessible goat shed I don't like spending as much time as I do now cleaning out (along with a potential added 2-horse shed).

It all says small tractor with a box blade and frontloader to me.

I've been looking around all the online classifieds, bought a trader, and above all done a lot of reading on this site and others.

I am basically pretty mechanically inclined, and don't mind spending the time and effort to figure out routine maintenance and what do do when things don't go right.

So I suppose the bottom line is, is it realistic to be looking for a 4wd, 18-25 HP decent used tractor I can expect a number of years out of with good maintenance, in the $3500-5500 range? What are the most likely candidates? What do I look out for in certain models?

Of course, I'll keep reading, but I would really appreciate any input anyone can contribute. I'm hoping on doing this sooner rather than later, if possible. Oh, and I'm in Virginia Beach, VA. I can't seem to find any bigger used or gray market tractor dealers very close to me.

Default Re: Absolute newbie- am I being realistic?

I live on 5 acres in Northern California and just bought my brother's used kubota L-2250. I paid $4,500 gladdly after seeing many others that were not near as nice for $8K and up. I do not think I would sell mine for less than $10K with the attachements.

He must have got tired of loaning it to me and gave me a great deal on it!

My brother owns a winery and when this one lost the clutch, he went out and bought a new Kubota. The automatic trans and power steering is nice on his new one, but the old one has a Gannon Box scraper and a much stronger bucket. My nephew was pissed off that he didn't sell me the new one and keep the old Kubota! After they replaced the clutch on it, it runs strong and I really like the 4 WD and size and power.

I would strongly recommend Kubota! I just bought a Yanmar Tiller for it and am in the process of welding the new plates to match the Gannon.

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

You can get a new 35hp mahindra gear model ( no loader ) for about 8000$

I'd look for low hour used equipment at dealers. i saw a NH 1630 the other day for ? 4500$.. drop a loader on that puppy and it would have been great for what you want. Check all brands and dealers for low hour trades.

Soundguy

Tractor
    New Holland TC29DA, John Deere 455D

Jon Best:

Welcome to TBN ! I think you are headed in the right direction . Jay
    NH TC29DA with 14LA and HD QA 60" bucket, weighted R-1's, FOPS, CCM M-160 (58") Tiller, Tebben MD 60" Rotary Cutter, Woods LR 108 (96") Landscape Rake, FEL cutting edge and tooth bar, Woods GB60 (60") Box Blade, Wallenstein BXM32

1995 John Deere 455 Diesel with 48" mower, MC 519 Cart with PowerVac

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Soundguy
    You can get a new 35hp mahindra gear model ( no loader ) for about 8000$

I'd look for low hour used equipment at dealers. i saw a NH 1630 the other day for ? 4500$.. drop a loader on that puppy and it would have been great for what you want. Check all brands and dealers for low hour trades.

Soundguy
    i agree, go used if you can find a very good deal. try a few out and then make your selection.
    Nuru
    JD 3520

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    century 2535

welcome to TBN - and you're on the right track with the 18-25 HP idea.
    they'll fit into stalls real easy and still be able to grade your drive. (may take a while, but they'll do it)
    if you've got the time to wait, you should be able to find a good unit in that price range. If not, then you'll have an easier time finding one in the $7-10k range.
    Erik
    Mahindra 3510, box blade, pallet forks, 6' KK mower...

If you can find one, an older kubota B7100 would be about perfect for you. I got $4500 for mine in trade, but another dealer was only offering $3k. Look for gears instead of HST and it will be cheaper. Mine was supposedly only 16hp, but those are mighty strong horses, maybe Morgans or something.
    Rich
    300 hours on the DX29, 850 on the JD 240 and too many to count on the Cadet
    Funk, Ohio

Tractor
    yet to be determined

Thanks a lot for the replies. Any VA/NC dealers I should be considering?

Tractor
    Kioti CK25 Shuttle Shift, loaded tires, JD X739

I also suggest checking Craigslist under farm and garden. I see them there in your price range all the time.

Also check TBN classifieds.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Best
    Thanks a lot for the replies. Any VA/NC dealers I should be considering?
    Greenline in VA - good deals

NC should have some great deals down there with the JD plant down there?
    Nuru
    JD 3520

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast