Am I being too exclusive only looking at JD and Kubota?

/ Am I being too exclusive only looking at JD and Kubota? #31  
I agree with John Bud and others here - HST is the way to go!. I like my L3400HST but has Teg says - I'd pick a L2800HST over a L3400DT anyday as for 95% of tasks you won't see the lack in hp being noticed.

Definately look at used deals for a low hour tractor. Again I agree with JB here that I'd be happier with a used HST than a new DT.

I'll also bet you will get most of the extra money back that you spend on HST come trade in time - all of that with more reliability and not having to replaces clutches... pretty great deal if you ask me.

/ Am I being too exclusive only looking at JD and Kubota? #32  
Buy what you think you need. Don't worry about resale value, transmission types etc.. You might have your tractor for 20 years. Find a good dealer and have him make some suggestions. Whatever you feel good with is just fine.

Solo

/ Am I being too exclusive only looking at JD and Kubota? #33  
Dern! Ya got me with that one! ;)

The Little Kubota has seen its share of time spent in places it should not have been doing things that it was not really meant for!:D :D :D

/ Am I being too exclusive only looking at JD and Kubota? #34  
Egon said:
The Little Kubota has seen its share of time spent in places it should not have been doing things that it was not really meant for!:D :D :D

Yep, that's the problem with those dog gone Kubotas, always accomplishing every task they try.

/ Am I being too exclusive only looking at JD and Kubota? #35  
I guess I would have to third that comment. My B7100 is gone in trade on the DX29, but not forgotten. It was a gear model, maybe even gray market during the years they didn't make 'em based on the dealer comment about the color of the "gray" paint on it, but it was a tough little snot that never let me down. I traded up to a bigger, more stable machine with HST, and I miss the little stinker every now and then when I find a place too small to get into with the Case.

For the OP, I would suggest sitting on and maybe driving a lot of different machines. The more you sit on one, the more "normal" it feels until another brand might be strange to you and you won't like it. I was pretty sure I wanted a bigger 'bota when I started shopping. The JDs felt a whole lot better for my carcass than the newer "bota's, which always felt like the seat was trying to eject me. Then I sat on a Case, fit well, found the controls easily at hand, and went with a red one from a dealer that sold red, orange, and yellow (Cub Cadet). I chose that dealer over a nearer one with the same choices because of the way they acted when I came to their store. I got HST based on what the majority here seemed to think. I think it's fine most of the time, sometimes better than the gears, but occasionally feel I would be ahead of the game with gears -- all depending on the task at hand at the moment. What I really need is 2 tractors.

/ Am I being too exclusive only looking at JD and Kubota? #36  
Solo said:
Buy what you think you need. Don't worry about resale value, transmission types etc.. You might have your tractor for 20 years.

And you may need to get rid of it in short order if something bad happens - loss of job, medical emergency, etc.

It's nice to plan to own a tractor for 20 years, but if you run into some financial difficulties for reasons out of your control, and need to liquidate some of the 'unnecessary items', it's nice to be able to get things sold off and get ahold of the cash. Resale should always be, at the least, in the back of your mind, and not completely discounted.

I've seen that attitude burn a lot of folks over the years.

/ Am I being too exclusive only looking at JD and Kubota? #37  
bandit67 said:
And you may need to get rid of it in short order if something bad happens - loss of job, medical emergency, etc.

...Resale should always be, at the least, in the back of your mind, and not completely discounted.

There is a lot of wisdom in this post.

I have always been very bad at selling things, but had a recent experience which "showed me the light".

This wasn't with a tractor, but almost 4 years ago now we bought a motorhome to travel around and look at retirement properties. Not a fancy one, but we got a good deal on a Class C. I thought we would keep it just about forever, but...

Found the right property in the right area and bought it. I retired about a year ago, and lived in the motrohome on the property for a year while the house was finished.

Well, after that we didn't have a use for the motorhome and it just sat. DW and I were both kind of burned out on living in it by then -- to small for us and two labradors.

Left to my own devices I would have let it just sit, but we need money now to fix up our old house in CA to sell it. And, the stock market has been down for a while, so I am reluctant to sell off assets at a low point. I called up a consignment place three weeks ago, and they sold the motorhome last week. We now have about $29k to put into the house, without selling any of our investments.

Anyway, the point is that sometimes resale value can be unexpectedly important.

/ Am I being too exclusive only looking at JD and Kubota? #38  
I agree with bandit and CurlyDave. If you follow this site for a bit you will find that MANY that never ever plan to trade, trade up in a few years.

This is not a plug for one brand vs. another. Just don't discount resale value completely. A lot of this will depend on the area you live in. For example, if you are in an area where Kioti is well known then resale will probably be quite good. Up here in Ontario, no question one would take a big hit the day after with a Kioti vs. a Kubota. Many not be the case a few years from now as the brand takes hold here, but it is the case now.

/ Am I being too exclusive only looking at JD and Kubota? #39  
canoetrpr said:
I agree with bandit and CurlyDave. If you follow this site for a bit you will find that MANY that never ever plan to trade, trade up in a few years.

This is not a plug for one brand vs. another. Just don't discount resale value completely. A lot of this will depend on the area you live in. For example, if you are in an area where Kioti is well known then resale will probably be quite good. Up here in Ontario, no question one would take a big hit the day after with a Kioti vs. a Kubota. Many not be the case a few years from now as the brand takes hold here, but it is the case now.

Yep, i was one and I am on my second trade-up in compacts.:eek: