Purchase Dilemma

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Purchase Dilemma #1  

MasseyWV

Elite Member
Tractor
Recently I had decided to purchase a Mahindra 3215 4WD tractor with FEL, and backhoe, including a box scraper and free delivery from a local dealer for $20,730.00 and applied for Mahindra financing through Agricredit but was denied financing.

Without going into too much detail, I learned that the reason I was denied by Agricredit, was because of a minor "item" that appeared on my credit report. Ironically, the "item" they had found was a mistake and was not even mine. All I can say is that it is their loss because the "delay" they caused has given me time to carefully consider everything and make a better purchase decision as a result.

Initially, I had decided to put my tractor purchase plans on hold indefinitely but after careful consideration, I have decided to buy a tractor afterall. The only difference is that I will be waiting a little longer to save more money, and paying cash in lieu of financing it.

Being turned down for financing was bad enough but what really caught my attention was when the Dealer suddenly acted as if I was a bum or something after they learned that I was not approved. Little did they know that I could have paid cash right there on the spot but the sudden change in attitude ruined any chance they had of making a sale. Besides, paying cash would have required that I take money from our savings which I was not comfortable with doing because the financial security of my family is much more important to me than what amounts to little more than a very expensive toy. Just because I was financing, did not mean that I did not have the money to buy it.

This time around, I will be doing things a bit differently before I make any commitments.

1. Check out the dealer much more carefully.
2. Give other brands more consideration, especially Kubota.
3. Re-evaluate exactly what options to purchase.
4. Save money by paying cash.

With respect to item #2, I had initially committed myself to Mahindra but have begun to think more about Kubota and possibly other "brands" because I would rather not have to deal with the hassle of trying to find actual Mahindra MSRP's to make sure the dealer is not a crook. I can only wonder how many other people are thinking the same thing about a manufacturer who cannot do something as simple as tell consumers what their products should cost. Ultimately, I may still buy Mahindra, but it is no longer a definite.

With respect to item #3, I have decided that my need for a backhoe does not justify the $6000 dollar price tag that comes with it. I will be renting the equipment I need to do my backhoe work, which will cost considerably less.

They say that hindsight is 20/20 and this case is no exception. Lesson learned: Look before you leap.

/ Purchase Dilemma #2  
Next time use one of the free credit deals to check. With the loan industry taking it on the chin (years of bad decisions coming home to roost!), they are much more likely to deny credit.

I looked at BH's and decided to get an entire TLB for the price of a new attachments.

jb

/ Purchase Dilemma #3  
As has been discussed over, and over, due to shipping factors the MSRP is referred to dealers, as those farther from the source pay higher freight costs. Upon checking many tractor manufacturer websites, most do not list MSRP. It isn't the same as buying a new truck, or car. Many new car buyers are use to seeing MSRP stickers on lots, and use that as a starting point to see how much money they can squeeze out of the salesman's commission.

/ Purchase Dilemma
AchingBack said:
As has been discussed over, and over, due to shipping factors the MSRP is referred to dealers, as those farther from the source pay higher freight costs. Upon checking many tractor manufacturer websites, most do not list MSRP. It isn't the same as buying a new truck, or car. Many new car buyers are use to seeing MSRP stickers on lots, and use that as a starting point to see how much money they can squeeze out of the salesman's commission.

It is no different than buying a new car or truck and the reason MSRP's are discussed "over and over" is because buyers demand to know the price without the hassle of having to contact a dealer and possibly listen to a sales pitch just to get a price, which would be further complicated if the buyer was considering several different models.

There are numerous methods that the manufacturer could use to show the MSRP on their website if region was an issue. Using the buyers zipcode one such method and displaying an average MSRP is another.

The actual issue here is money, plain and simple. Manufacturers and dealers want to make as much profit as possible and buyers want to save as much as possible.

A good "starting point" would be to eliminate the "salesman" and their "commission".

/ Purchase Dilemma #5  
Well that is a good idea, eliminate the salesman, who should be the expert about the tractor. Replace the expert with a vending machine. Works for me. :) No salesman, no dealership, no mechanics.

/ Purchase Dilemma
AchingBack said:
Well that is a good idea, eliminate the salesman, who should be the expert about the tractor. Replace the expert with a vending machine. Works for me. :) No salesman, no dealership, no mechanics.

My experience tells me that salesman aren't experts at anything except finding ways of taking more of my money.

Personally, I would be very happy to buy direct from the manufacturer thus eliminating the middle-men and saving money in the process. I do my own wrenching so mechanics aren't even part of the equation for me.

A tractor vending machine... that would be interesting to see. Isn't sarcasm wonderful?

/ Purchase Dilemma #7  
...but the sudden change in attitude ruined any chance they had of making a sale...

A very interesting issue.

A neighbor recently refinanced his house. Now, he personally has excellent credit, but his credit report showed a few surprises. This where his heart was in the right place, but foolish mistakes. He had co-signed for a motorcycle loan with his grandson, who evidently had missed payments. That kind of stuff.

Anyway, the people doing the re-fi helped him to work through the credit issues. He got the loan, they got their commission, and everyone went home happy.

The Mahindra dealer just lost a sale because they wanted to one-up you instead of working with you...

- - - -

Just my opinion, but if I was seriously considering Mahindra, I would take the time right now to start looking at used machines.

Mahindra does not hold its resale value like Deere, Kubota, etc.

I bet there are machines with a few hundred hours for well under the price of a new one. Let someone else take the depreciation hit.

/ Purchase Dilemma #8  
You are going to be finding many used Mahindra's nationwide. Some of them happen to be repossesed. Whatever the case, thousands of people are buying them. If the resale prices are low, successive owners are getting great prices on great tractors. And no matter the color, they all depreciate in value. The bottom line for me, a dealer of any product who earns my respect will get my business.

May we all treat others; as we would want to be treated.

/ Purchase Dilemma
CurlyDave said:
Just my opinion, but if I was seriously considering Mahindra, I would take the time right now to start looking at used machines.

Mahindra does not hold its resale value like Deere, Kubota, etc.

I bet there are machines with a few hundred hours for well under the price of a new one. Let someone else take the depreciation hit.

I originally considered purchasing a used tractor (and would still entertain the idea) but haven't been able to locate any decent looking newer-model machines with low hours at a reasonable price in my area. Of the few tractors that I was able to find, most were either over-priced or looked like they had been abused.

Ultimately, when I decide to purchase, I just want to find a dependable tractor (new or used) with FEL, that I can easily find parts for, at a reasonable price.

/ Purchase Dilemma
AchingBack said:
May we all treat others; as we would want to be treated.

In general, I follow this principal but when money is involved I prefer:

Caveat emptor (Latin for "Let the buyer beware").

Status
Not open for further replies.