mahindra 6500 vs jd 5303

/ mahindra 6500 vs jd 5303 #1  

skiman73

Tractor
NH TC 45
Am loking at these 2 models for my small produce farm. Will mostly be doing heavy fieldwork, moldboard plowing, discing, subsoiling etc. The jd is $100 less than the 6500 from my local dealers, who are within 2 miles of eachother. They seem pretty close in performance on paper, but the jd has a 3 range tranny, 2 range on the 6500 with the high range seeming like mostly for road use, and fully independent pto versus 2 stage clutch type pto on the 6500. They are both made in India but one is a jd for crying out loud!! This seems like a very easy decision can anyone weigh in with any negative comments on either model or compelling arguments for either machine??

/ mahindra 6500 vs jd 5303 #2  
skiman73 said:
Am loking at these 2 models for my small produce farm. Will mostly be doing heavy fieldwork, moldboard plowing, discing, subsoiling etc. The jd is $100 less than the 6500 from my local dealers, who are within 2 miles of eachother. They seem pretty close in performance on paper, but the jd has a 3 range tranny, 2 range on the 6500 with the high range seeming like mostly for road use, and fully independent pto versus 2 stage clutch type pto on the 6500. They are both made in India but one is a jd for crying out loud!! This seems like a very easy decision can anyone weigh in with any negative comments on either model or compelling arguments for either machine??

Not sure what you mean about the 2 stage clutch...your post reads to me like you are talking about the 6500...Not so. It has a Independant PTO. If you are really going to use your tractor for significant ground engaging equipment, you need to look to the heaviest/most torque tractor. The 6500's 5th gear (high range, 1st gear), is a good gear for medium bush hogging, box blading, cultivating, etc., however 3 ranges would be great if you intend to do a bunch of tiller work. BobG in VA

/ mahindra 6500 vs jd 5303
Forgot to mention both are 2wd models. I think the 6500 4wd has independent pto, but the 2wd does not, I did a test ride on one yesterday and it has a 2 stage clutch with live but not independent pto. I agree with you on the weight of the thing, I think green is a couple hundred lbs lighter. I have never been a JD guy but I am really leaning toward green on this deal, unless I come across some serious horror stories on the 5303 or my local dealer. Thanks, Dave

/ mahindra 6500 vs jd 5303 #4  
If the prices are that close then it's a no-brainer, get the Deere. The biggest reason is because Deere's parts and dealer network is light years ahead of Mahindra's. Independent PTO is another reason. I wouldn't buy a tractor that size without an independent PTO.