First Tractor...JD vs NH vs Kubota vs Mahindra

/ First Tractor...JD vs NH vs Kubota vs Mahindra #1  

jackster

Tractor
Kubota 6040DT
OK...this is tough. I've got ~18+ hilly acres to care for and want to do some plowing and tilling on about 1 acre this year.... I've owned diesel engines, I've driven tractors but have never owned one or used one routinely. We have a good dealer here in town dealing in NH and Mahindra and I'm torn between a TC48DA and the Mahindra 5530.. I know these don't seem comparable..and thats my dilemma...TC48 seems to have the power I need, but the mahindra got an xtra ton in weight on it. I've driven both and you can feel the firmness of the weighty mahindra which feels good. On the tc48, there's a lot of fiberglass(or plastic) which wont rust, but doesn't seem as sturdy...of course the manhindra's finish is not as nice with ample spots of metal to rust. The mahindras got 24's in front vs. 16s on the NH. Ok, I've looked at deere..the 5203 probably makes the most sense, but I might as well buy the mahindra as it is an Indian made tractor too and I'm confident the mahindra facility in india has been making tractors longer than deere...in india that is. I haven't really looked at kubota...a lot lighter...maybe I should. I'm looking to put a loader on whatever I get and pull a 72" brush hog behind it...

I'm sure I'm not the first to have this dilemma...interested in getting thoughts. Thanks

/ First Tractor...JD vs NH vs Kubota vs Mahindra #2  
The Kubota's lighter weight makes it nice to add the ballast where it is needed for the loads you might be carrying. With the high cost of fuel fat tractors make big dents in the wallet everytime you start an engine. There are differences in engines but for every ton you can figure about a gallon of fuel when using the tractor under load.

We've been changing the way we set up tractors for a while and for most users we've even seen extended tire wear to the point of double although for many people depending on the brand by the time 1000 hours have come around they might be trading.

/ First Tractor...JD vs NH vs Kubota vs Mahindra #3  
Having too many choices is a good thing. :D The dealer I purchased my Kubota from also sells Mahindra. I talked to the service department regarding the reliability of the Mahindra and as a whole they cannot say anything bad about the tractor. Well, they did pick on how it sounded but that was about it.

The best way to make your final decision is to do exactly what you're doing - test drive the tractors and test drive the dealers. Buy the tractor that will make you happy at the price you feel is reasonable.

Myself, I lean towards the Kubota and John Deere based on experience with the tractors and the local dealer support.

/ First Tractor...JD vs NH vs Kubota vs Mahindra #4  
They are all good tractors. The 5203 probably is more in line with the Mahindra that the NH. In my own world I would prefer the metal over the plastic and fiberglass. Keep testing them and you seemed to prefer the Mahindra If that's what you feel, I would say go with that decision, I don't think you will be disappointed. I bought the 5203 myself, but I did that because of the JD support here in my area.

/ First Tractor...JD vs NH vs Kubota vs Mahindra #5  
I generally like metal hoods over fiberglass.. but both can be fixed.. thought he metal will surely have a longer service life if you look to the extremes.

What's the price difference between the NH to the MAH? The weight can be good or bad. bad if you are getting ground compaction.. or trailer it alot. Good if you need it though.. For only 1 ac.. what you using.. a 2-14 plow? Anything you mentioned will pull one.

soundguy

/ First Tractor...JD vs NH vs Kubota vs Mahindra #6  
Just a quick note....The 5203 is a 3 cyl with Turbo, the Mahindra is a 4 cyl naturally aspirated...I personnally prefer natural with extra cubic inches (there ain't no substitute for cubic inches...). The big thing is that the 5530 has a shuttle shift...pretty much a must if you desire an FEL. I believe the Deere is a 9F/3R with no reverser. I never understood about a shuttle till I drove my BILs little Kubota, then got my 6000 Mahindra...believe me, no matter what you pick make it with a shuttle shift...BobG in VA

/ First Tractor...JD vs NH vs Kubota vs Mahindra
thanks for all the feedback and comments. I think I've narrowed it down to Kubota...the fit and finish just seems to be a higher quality. The shuttle shift is nice on the M Series and, of course, the hydrostatic is as simple as it gets on the L series. I'm leaning toward the M....50 or 60HP with FEL and a 72" cutter. No real break for buying the cutter from the kubota dealer so I'll probably shop around... but all in the all , the dealer has a very good rep and seems very responsible and reliable.

/ First Tractor...JD vs NH vs Kubota vs Mahindra #8  
Kubota makes fine tractors and has a stellar reputation. I've had tractors from Kubota, John Deere as well as New Holland. All have been good tractors and I'd buy another from any of those companies in the future if the need arises. I have nothing bad to say about the Mahindra, it's just that I have not owned one so I can't comment on one first hand. Good luck with your new Kubota!

/ First Tractor...JD vs NH vs Kubota vs Mahindra #9  
Well after doing a lot of research, it seems that Deere makes the most heavy duty tractors. They might cost more, but in this case, you get what you pay for. I was researching new tractors and decided to get a Deere.

Last edited:
   / First Tractor...JD vs NH vs Kubota vs Mahindra #10  
I wish I had your problem Jackster!:D :D :D

If you plan on much loader work try out an HST to see how it compares to the other transmissions for ease of work.:D