Kubota M5040 / MX5100 vs JD 5203

/ Kubota M5040 / MX5100 vs JD 5203 #11  
Bob_Young said:
The '08 5203 is supposed to have a synchronized shift between a forward gear (2nd, I think) and reverse in the main transmission. This would make a rather practical mechanical shuttle. Haven't tried one myself, mind you; this is what I've gotten from reading their site.

Other than the above, the biggest things in favor of the Kubotas from my POV:
1) much better fit & finish
2) Enclosed Bevel gear drive for the front axle
3) FEL is easily removeable....don't think JD is
4) very smooth and up to date engines
5) light agile machines
6) 5040 FEL much stronger than JD; as I recall, the MX HD FEL is a little stronger as well.

Biggest things in favor of the 5203:
1) Larger displacement engine than MX5100, more guts for lugging (about the same size as M5040)
2) Stronger 3PH than MX5100
3) Greater hydraulic pump capacity than MX
4) Mechanical shuttle that allows F-R shift on the move, Kubotas require you to stop (assuming from your price that the M5040 is mech. shuttle)

For what it's worth:
-the mechanical shuttle on the 5203 is quite similar to what's on my 5105. It's a great mechanical shuttle, but I'd still prefer a hydraulic shuttle.
-JD 522 FEL is just as easy to remove as the Kubota FEL (it's not the old solid-mount 512 FEL)
-The Kubota FEL is stronger on paper in the one measurement of lift to full height. If you want 2500lbs sitting almost directly above you 10' in the air, have fun. There is not, IMHO, any practical difference between them. The 522 FEL will lift something like 3500lbs to a 5' height.
-I don't think the mechanical shuttle on the M5040 requires you to come to a stop. It is synchronized. However, the "shuttle" on the MX5000 is unsynchronized and does require a full stop.
-While the bevel gear front axle is a difference on the Kubotas, I don't think it is a plus in strength. It is a small plus in turning radius.

/ Kubota M5040 / MX5100 vs JD 5203 #12  
nitrors4 said:
Great replies! Thanks!!!!

I went to the Kubota dealer yesterday and drove the M5040 sync and hydrostatic. Truth is I am a weekend tractor warrior, so I will save my $1,200 and go with a fully synchronized mechanical over the hydro. I got the tractor going as fast as I could forward and slammed it into reverse and had no issues keeping the tractor running. Not something I see a need for, but wanted to test how well I could work the clutch. Too easy on that unit.

Yeah, that's exactly what I thought when I was test driving tractors. Believe me, the hydro-shuttle is worth the extra money. It is the #1 thing I would change on my 5105. (#2 would be to get a cab.) Part of the issue is convenience, part of it is clutch life (the wet clutch with a hydro shuttle lasts much longer). Test drives on dealer lots are very artificial and don't tell you what operating is like after 3 hours of heat and dust, when you're just tired and want to get the job done, and you've pushed that clutch 100 times in the last hour to reverse direction in tight areas. Especially for loader work, blade work, or mowing inside smaller pastures. Buy what you want, but I'll bet you're posting a year from now my words verbatim to the next person debating between the two shuttles on an M-series Kubota!

BTW, hydro-shuttle is completely different from hydrostatic. The former is a gear transmission with a wet clutch that can be activated hydraulically, the latter is a completely different type of transmission that uses fluid to move the power, resulting in infinite gear ratios but some power loss in the transmission.

/ Kubota M5040 / MX5100 vs JD 5203
I hear you, but I am already spending 5k more on the tractor than I wanted to. I am giving up the hydrostatic to have a better tractor (compared to the MX5100) imo. I had to pick the M5040 with out or the MX5100 with.

With the Hydrostatic you still have to use the clutch when stopping right?

/ Kubota M5040 / MX5100 vs JD 5203 #14  
OK, makes sense, just giving you my views. If you're up against your personal price limit, why not reconsider the JD 5203? I do not think there is a meaningful difference in features or quality between the 5203 and a M5040 with the conventional shuttle.

To answer your question, with a hydro-shuttle you have a choice between using the foot clutch to stop, or just moving the shuttle lever into its neutral (center) position. This is another nicety.

With a hydrostatic (again, completely different) you just take your foot off the go pedal and you stop.

Z-Michigan said:
OK, makes sense, just giving you my views. If you're up against your personal price limit, why not reconsider the JD 5203? I do not think there is a meaningful difference in features or quality between the 5203 and a M5040 with the conventional shuttle.

To answer your question, with a hydro-shuttle you have a choice between using the foot clutch to stop, or just moving the shuttle lever into its neutral (center) position. This is another nicety.

With a hydrostatic (again, completely different) you just take your foot off the go pedal and you stop.

Ding and the light goes on! :p Now I see.....If the M5040 had the Hydrostatic I would be more inclined to get it, but the hydro-shuttle is just so so for me.

I think I just like how the Kubota feels when I drive it. Comfort is always nice.

/ Kubota M5040 / MX5100 vs JD 5203 #16  
nitrors4 said:
I think I just like how the Kubota feels when I drive it. Comfort is always nice.

Probably the best reason for choosing between two extremely similar tractors.

Hydrostatic is very nice to use, but no one currently puts them on utility class machines. Kubota and JD put them in large CUTs with utility class power that will do all sorts of stuff, but those large CUTs cost more than the basic utility class machines like an M5040. I looked at both, thought the greater strength of a utility type machine was worthwhile despite giving up the HST and a few neato features.

I was all ready for the JD although I did note the way things felt were not all the great to me. Of course, I am never happy with comfort if I am sitting on my butt. :D When I got into the Kubota I was much happier and loved the way things fit me.

In the end I think the M5040 will be enough tractor to do everything I need and provide me the comfort I want.

From everything I have read on this board I cannot go wrong with the tractor. :)

/ Kubota M5040 / MX5100 vs JD 5203 #18  
nitrors4 said:
Thanks for the reply.

I have several places that sell a medium cutter for 1500, but the price jumped if I wanted the HD. You think he is blowing smoke up my a**?

No clue on the Box Blade that did seem high to me as well.
A HD cutter will be more expensive, your prices aren't out of line.

/ Kubota M5040 / MX5100 vs JD 5203 #19  
nitrors4 said:
I have several places that sell a medium cutter for 1500, but the price jumped if I wanted the HD. You think he is blowing smoke up my a**?

No clue on the Box Blade that did seem high to me as well.

Sorry, I missed the HD on the cutter and he is correct the the HD is more expensive.

It seems as if you feel more comfortable on the Kubota, so I think you should go with that choice. It is always better to go with how you feel than buy something on someone else's recommendation and regret it later. :) Then you can't blame your choice on the guy who made the recommendation.:D

/ Kubota M5040 / MX5100 vs JD 5203 #20  
These tractors are all close in comparison. I would keep comfort along with fuel mileage in mind when pulling the trigger on another tractor.

ArkLaTexSam