Kubota M5040 / MX5100 vs JD 5203

/ Kubota M5040 / MX5100 vs JD 5203 #1  

nitrors4

Bronze Member
I hope to have a tractor in my driveway by the end of next week, so I need to make my final decision. I have three tractors to pick from. Kubota M5040, Kubota MX5100 and JD 5203?.

1. Which Kubota does the JD 5203 compare to the closest?5040 or MX5100? Reason I ask is the JD is cheaper than the M5040, but more expensive than the MX5100.
2. What features does the M5040 have over the 5203?
3. What features does the MX5100 have over the 5203?
4. What features does the 5203 have over the M5040
5. What features does the 5203 have over the MX5100

Current quotes
JD 5203 4wd with 522 FEL - 23,335.00
Kubota M5040 4wd with FEL - 24,950
Kubota MX5100 4wd with FEL 22,950

Please let me know what you guys think. My uses for the tractors are as follows.
Box Blade Work
Move Round Bales
Light Grappler Work
Light FEL
Cutter Work
Maybe small hay work, but not sure.

Thanks,
Troy

/ Kubota M5040 / MX5100 vs JD 5203 #2  
It compares more closely to the M5040 than the other. The only detrement to the 5203 is the transmission. I don't think it comes with a shuttle transmission which I personally would want with a front end loader. Other than that it compares very well with the 5040.

/ Kubota M5040 / MX5100 vs JD 5203 #3  
All good tractors. I have a JD 5105, which is very similar to a 5203 MFWD, though not identical. I'm happy with my 5105, and I looked at the MX5000 and M5040 as well.

The M5040 with a hydraulic shuttle would probably be my pick, just because the hydraulic shuttle is so nice for typical reversing work. You don't state whether the M5040 quote is with the base shuttle (comparable to the other two tractors) or the nicer hydraulic shuttle which is about a $1200 upgrade. Have the Kubota dealer explain to you what a hydraulic shuttle is, and then ask the JD dealer to try and explain why you don't need one. If the Kubota dealer says you don't want a hydraulic shuttle, they are probably just trying to unload a tractor on you (because it is, IMHO, such a good value for the money, I see no reason for a dealer to order an M series without the hydraulic shuttle). The hydraulic shuttle option is unfortunately not available on a JD 5203, and while it is definitely not essential, it is a really nice thing to have for loader work, rear blade work, and mowing smaller areas. (It is much less important for conventional tillage or mowing large open areas.)

In my view the 5203 and M5040 are very, very close in all other respects, and the hydraulic shuttle option on the Kubota is the most meaningful difference between them. I found the JD transmissions to shift smoother and the Kubota M to turn slightly tighter, which are both tiny differences.

If you can swing a M5040 with the hydraulic shuttle, that would be my recommendation. Otherwise, I would flip a coin between the M5040 base shuttle and the 5203 MFWD, both are good, and they are extremely similar. The MX5000 is half a step down and while an OK tractor I think the extra $385 for the JD 5203 would be much better than settling for the MX5000 (or 5100?). I think the JD is a really good tractor, but after 120 hours of use I can see how beneficial a hydraulic shuttle would be.

/ Kubota M5040 / MX5100 vs JD 5203 #4  
The '08 5203 is supposed to have a synchronized shift between a forward gear (2nd, I think) and reverse in the main transmission. This would make a rather practical mechanical shuttle. Haven't tried one myself, mind you; this is what I've gotten from reading their site.

The 5203 will be from 600 to 800 lbs. heavier than either of the two Kubotas. Depending on your application, this can be either good or bad.

Both Kubotas have 8F x 8R transmissions. This should give you a really slow reverse if you need one. Could be quite useful if you're thinking of a 3PH snowblower. The JD only has 3 reverse speeds.

Other than the above, the biggest things in favor of the Kubotas from my POV:
1) much better fit & finish
2) Enclosed Bevel gear drive for the front axle
3) FEL is easily removeable....don't think JD is
4) very smooth and up to date engines
5) light agile machines
6) 5040 FEL much stronger than JD; as I recall, the MX HD FEL is a little stronger as well.

Biggest things in favor of the 5203:
1) Larger displacement engine than MX5100, more guts for lugging (about the same size as M5040)
2) Stronger 3PH than MX5100
3) Greater hydraulic pump capacity than MX
4) Mechanical shuttle that allows F-R shift on the move, Kubotas require you to stop (assuming from your price that the M5040 is mech. shuttle)

FWIW, I think you've been given very good prices on the Kubotas, especially the M5040. I'd jump on that one.
Bob

/ Kubota M5040 / MX5100 vs JD 5203 #5  
That seems like a good price for a M5040 4wd with FEL. Is this a sync shuttle or hydraulic shuttle? The M5040 would be my choice. The M5040 is a deluxe utility tractor, the JD5103 is an economy utility tractor.

I drove two M40 tractors with hydraulic shuttles on Saturday and was very impressed.

M5040 advantages (in my opinion):
kubota 4 cylinder engine
fully synchronous main shift
hydraulic shuttle option
Live-Independent Hydraulic PTO
bevel gear front axle
LA1153 loader

/ Kubota M5040 / MX5100 vs JD 5203
Great replies! Thanks!!!!

I went to the Kubota dealer yesterday and drove the M5040 sync and hydrostatic. Truth is I am a weekend tractor warrior, so I will save my $1,200 and go with a fully synchronized mechanical over the hydro. I got the tractor going as fast as I could forward and slammed it into reverse and had no issues keeping the tractor running. Not something I see a need for, but wanted to test how well I could work the clutch. Too easy on that unit.

I apparently went up at a good time because the Kubota rep was at the dealership and we spoke for about 15 min. At the end of the conversation he offered to kick in $200 to help the deal and then the dealer took another 200 off so I am not sitting at $25,550.00 out the door with filled rears and hooks on the bucket. Oh and it comes with grill guard which is an option.

Now the M5040 is $1,000 more than the JD which is a difference I can live with. :D I will have all my funds together next week and should be signing the papers on Wed.

I will of course post new pictures.

Now I need to purchase a couple implements with the tractor. Here is what he quoted me....How do the prices look?

1. 6 Cutter: Rhino 272 6' HD Cutter $1,990.00
2. Box Blade: Brush Hog MBX720 6' Medium Box Blade $890.00

Thanks,
Troy

/ Kubota M5040 / MX5100 vs JD 5203 #7  
I think he is getting his money back on the implements. You should be able to get the mower for around a little over $1500. I was quoted that price from a implement dealer in Farmersville. I am unsure of the box blade but I think that you can beat that price also. I paid a little over $700 for the same brand 78 inch.

/ Kubota M5040 / MX5100 vs JD 5203 #8  
I've always been impressed with JD's. I got mine about a week ago 5103 with FEL, mower and box blade. 5103 has the shuttle shift which is very smooth. For general use I'm using it in the mid range and generally use 2nd for most of my forward work. Current project is crowning my drive and with the box at it's steepest angle the tractor doesn't even know the blade is down. But the main reason that I went with JD is that was about the only dealer around my area besides a couple of business selling the lowend chinese machines. For a while I was looking at a cub cadet but even the largest one available in my area didn't have the guts I needed for moving hay etc. One thing I look at besides bells and whistles is how the dealer treats me. I had a very comfortable feeling with the JD dealer and was made to feel like a person and not just another sale. I also talked to there service mechanic and he looked/sounded very professional and knowledgeable. So for me it's more than the machine it's the people behind the machine that counts. It also sounds like you've done your homework, good for you and good luck.

greggh said:
I think he is getting his money back on the implements. You should be able to get the mower for around a little over $1500. I was quoted that price from a implement dealer in Farmersville. I am unsure of the box blade but I think that you can beat that price also. I paid a little over $700 for the same brand 78 inch.

Thanks for the reply.

I have several places that sell a medium cutter for 1500, but the price jumped if I wanted the HD. You think he is blowing smoke up my a**?

No clue on the Box Blade that did seem high to me as well.

Oh that cutter has a slip clutch as well.