/ So where are all the used tractors ? #21  
Slackdaddy said:
Times are tough so we are told, I hear on TBN "good used iron out there"
- I look on Craigs list every other day - not much
- Tractor house has had the same dealers listing new tractors for the last 3
months.
- Agricredit Auctions ? Price is run up past market value and the auction
closes with "reserve not met"

So where does one find all these hard times sellers ?? :)

Slack

In mid-2006 I was looking for an old MF-135 diesel in running condition to restore. I mentioned this to a tractor dealer in the area. A few days later he emailed me that a customer of his had a 1964 135 that he planned to trade in on a new tractor. I called and we cut a deal. He got a few hundred more than the dealer was offering on trade-in and he bought a new Branson from the dealer. A win-win-win situation.

So visit your local dealer, tell him what you're looking for and leave your contact info. You may get lucky and find something that way.

/ So where are all the used tractors ? #22  
I've done the same with my local CNH dealer.

soundguy

/ So where are all the used tractors ? #23  
flusher said:
In mid-2006 I was looking for an old MF-135 diesel in running condition to restore. I mentioned this to a tractor dealer in the area. A few days later he emailed me that a customer of his had a 1964 135 that he planned to trade in on a new tractor. I called and we cut a deal. He got a few hundred more than the dealer was offering on trade-in and he bought a new Branson from the dealer. A win-win-win situation.

So visit your local dealer, tell him what you're looking for and leave your contact info. You may get lucky and find something that way.

Flusher, just wondering if you made it a big win for him of if you bought it from him before he went to the dealer.
I've done this with cars and a good dealer will do this for free...

Dealer will give a person $5000 for a trade
The person is looking at a $10000 item.
The person buying takes the trade for $5000, buys the tractor for the additional $5000, and only pays taxes on $5000.
If the person sells the tractor before hand and has no trade, he pays the taxes on the full $10,000 tractor.

the best deal for the seller (and no difference to you) is to trade the tractor to the dealer (get the trade in credit), then the dealer sells it to you for the agreed $5000 (hopefully with NO service charge). In my example and living in Houston it will save the other guy about $400. Of course the numbers go down if the values go down but a couple hundred saved is a couple hundred saved. When I traded in my old Ford it saved me $600. The dealer did it for free and actually TOLD me to try and do it!! I had ordered a truck and had some time to sell my old one. Good Dealer there...Tommy Vaughn, Houston.

Good Luck,
Rob

/ So where are all the used tractors ? #24  
RobJ said:
Flusher, just wondering if you made it a big win for him of if you bought it from him before he went to the dealer.
I've done this with cars and a good dealer will do this for free...

Dealer will give a person $5000 for a trade
The person is looking at a $10000 item.
The person buying takes the trade for $5000, buys the tractor for the additional $5000, and only pays taxes on $5000.
If the person sells the tractor before hand and has no trade, he pays the taxes on the full $10,000 tractor.....

Good Luck,
Rob

In California, the trade-in does not lessen the taxes. The tax is computed on the price of the new tractor, the trade-in is used as a partial payment as if it was cash. No tax advantage. Texas and some other states have a little nicer tax laws. We do have farm tax situations where the tax is only 2%, so that helps.

/ So where are all the used tractors ? #25  
DavesTractor said:
In California, the trade-in does not lessen the taxes. The tax is computed on the price of the new tractor, the trade-in is used as a partial payment as if it was cash. No tax advantage. Texas and some other states have a little nicer tax laws. We do have farm tax situations where the tax is only 2%, so that helps.

That sucks, it's a big difference if you trade an expensive car every 2-3 years.

/ So where are all the used tractors ? #26  
I believe the problem lies in how much is owed on the tractor.

Most of the people who are in trouble are probably the ones who have financed their tractors. They must sell them for at least what is owed to the bank or credit company. Also if the person had to finance they probably got a low interest rate and probably financed as much as they could.

So you have a lot of tractors for sale but they have high reserves. I predict soon tractors will be available from banks and credit companies. If folks lose their tractors the bank will certianly try to recoop all of the money and this includes repo charges. But when the banks get a high enough inventory of repossed tractors they will sell them for what ever they can get. I don't know but I would like to know the inventory of repossed tractors and farm equipment. Also some of these tractors will be sold overseas.

Just my thoughts.

Don

BTW "There is no such thing as a free lunch just some are cheaper than others."

/ So where are all the used tractors ? #27  
My lifelong observations...your mileage may vary.

Hard times are always with us...sometimes it just gets more media coverage. Who do you know that's 5.1% unemployed? And, media coverage tends to bring out more "sharks"...those who believe anyone selling something must be in financial trouble.:(

Likewise, good buys are always out there. But from personal experience, availability is inversely proportional to need...the more I need something, the less likely it is to be available to me at a "good" price.:D

/ So where are all the used tractors ? #28  
BotaBigot said:
My lifelong observations...your mileage may vary.

Hard times are always with us...sometimes it just gets more media coverage. Who do you know that's 5.1% unemployed?

I think that means 5.1% of the employable population is unemployed. Now, how they define the employable population I don't know. I know plenty of folks who are perfectly employable but prefer their welfare or disability status to gainful employment.

I also am not sure how we can have ANY unemployemnt rate and still be told that illegal labor from south of the border is necessary for our economy since there is no one else to do the work. That does NOT compute!

/ So where are all the used tractors ? #29  
Just a quick note - in Arkansas - and I would imagine other states as well - when buying a car you do not have to trade the car/truck in to the dealer in order to get the offset of the total price that you will have to pay in taxes - all you have to do is sell a "vehicle" within (i think) 30 days (it may be 60) of the purchase to obtain an offset..i've done this a couple of times....all you have to do is provide the bill of sale....it very well could work the same for other large purchases ...i.e. TRACTOR...so here goes your daily informational announcement - CONTACT YOUR LOCAL REVENUE OFFICE FOR MORE INFO...seriously...it should work in a numerous states by selling the tractor outright and applying it against the purchase of another one...two bits

/ So where are all the used tractors ? #30  
N80 said:
...I know plenty of folks who are perfectly employable but prefer their welfare or disability status to gainful employment...

Yep...always with us as well are those who know how to manipulate the system...