Looking for Dead Engine Tractor(s)

/ Looking for Dead Engine Tractor(s) #1  

Phil Timmons

Silver Member
Hello,

I am shopping for "dead engine" tractor(s) as possible electric motor drive conversions. I have done a small 20 HP and am looking to try some larger "frankensteining."

Any recommendations on Who, What, Where, and How Much for dead engine tractors that are gone to the point where the ICE (internal combustion engine) is not repairable or rebuild-able?

Looking for something in the 30 hp to 100 hp range, or maybe a couple of them. When I start getting some equipment collected together, I will start a thread on it in the Project section.

Thanks.

/ Looking for Dead Engine Tractor(s) #2  
I don't remeber seeing many ads or dealerships advertising dead tractors. That does make me wonder though. Where are the tractor junk yards? I've never seen or heard of one but they must exist. Many, if not most tractor parts should be re-usable.

Anyone know where the tractor graveyards are?

/ Looking for Dead Engine Tractor(s) #3  
I know of a couple of tractor graveyards in small towns in Louisiana, but by the time that the engine is worn out and not rebuildable, the rest of the tractor is in such bad shape that it is only good for parts or scrap because it would take thousands of dollars to restore the other parts even if you had a free motor for it.
I have never seen a tractor in good condition with an engine that was not repairable.

/ Looking for Dead Engine Tractor(s) #4  
Sometimes if the tractor is left to sit out in the weather doesn't mean the body parts or any of the other components are scrap. Especially if the engine siezes due to poor maintenance or failure of a internal part. I have wondered if there are wrecking yards as well. It sounds like it could be a source of income to someone familiar with tractors and a bit of land. :D

/ Looking for Dead Engine Tractor(s) #5  
Phil Timmons said:
Hello,

I am shopping for "dead engine" tractor(s) as possible electric motor drive conversions. I have done a small 20 HP and am looking to try some larger "frankensteining."

Any recommendations on Who, What, Where, and How Much for dead engine tractors that are gone to the point where the ICE (internal combustion engine) is not repairable or rebuild-able?

Looking for something in the 30 hp to 100 hp range, or maybe a couple of them. When I start getting some equipment collected together, I will start a thread on it in the Project section.

Thanks.

You can find tractors with stuck engines fairly easily. The problem I have is transporting them. Don't know if that's an issue with you. If you have to hire a hauler and the distance is appreciable, the cost can be a lot more than you pay for the tractor.

Try eBay and craigslist.

But your best bet is the local ads and word of mouth.
If there's a vintage tractor club in your area, contact them. Those folks generally know where the rusty iron is located.

Also check with used farm implement dealers. New tractor dealers also can steer you in the right direction.

/ Looking for Dead Engine Tractor(s)
Good info. Thank you all.

I agree that when they are fully dead, the bones get picked clean. I guess I am looking for when it is just dead enough to be parked in side yard and mowed around for the next 50 years. :)

I think the craigslist and ebay are good ideas.

When I was shopping for other Renewable Energy type projects I have put "wanted" ads on them and have all the parts find themselves and come to me. :)

Here is a sample of this type tractor conversion.

Steve Heckeroth's Yanmar Tractor Conversion

Just for a backgrounder -- I am an Electrical Engineer with an Ag background -- cash crop Corn, Wheat, and Soybeans -- and now I do industrial and utility electric power designs and work. Looking at combining those two things towards a model "Electric Farm."

Sample info and discussion on that concept >>>

The Renewable Electron Economy Part VIII.1: The Electric Farm « Green Thoughts

The Renewable Electron Economy Part VIII.2: The Electric Farm - 2 « Green Thoughts

/ Looking for Dead Engine Tractor(s) #7  
There's a large "tractor salvage" in north Arkansas, they have about every part for any tractor made! I forget how many acreas they are on, but it's a huge place!

/ Looking for Dead Engine Tractor(s) #8  
Western Kentucky Tractor Parts might have what you're looking for. I'll let you guess where they are....

/ Looking for Dead Engine Tractor(s) #10  
N80 said:
I don't remeber seeing many ads or dealerships advertising dead tractors. That does make me wonder though. Where are the tractor junk yards? I've never seen or heard of one but they must exist. Many, if not most tractor parts should be re-usable.

Anyone know where the tractor graveyards are?

Yep.
Ain't tellin'