Case JX90U

/ Case JX90U #1  

eebuckeye4life

Tractor
Case IH JX90U
Hi, I am in the market for a 4wd utility tractor and I went and priced some this weekend. The JD dealer recommended the 5403 to me with a loader for approximately 28k. I went to the New Holland dealer and they recommended the TN70 with loader for around 32k, and then I went to see a used Case JX90U for sell by an individual that I know for 30k. I would like to use the tractor to pull logs out of my woods, and seeing that most of my land is steep hills, I wanted 4wd. By far the Case is the best deal having only 500hrs on it, and a heavy duty loader. It also has 85hp vs the the NH's 75 and the JD 74. I'm just unsure if I could get a tractor the size of the JX90U into the wooded areas of my land w/o difficulty. Does anyone have any suggestions for me?

Thanks
Todd

/ Case JX90U #2  
The JX90U is a big unit but very nicely equipped. I friend of mine logs with a similar size machine every so often and I'm amazed at the stuff he can drive through compared to my small tractor. Also he can pull huge hitches of wood out.

Then he is amazed at the little small routes I can tuck up through into the woods to grab something.

How much production are you looking for? What do you want your woods to look like after? All big questions for your choice.

/ Case JX90U
In all honesty, I have approximately 30 acres of wooded land to clear away fallen trees, some of them large maple and oak that I want to turn into lumber. Most of my land is on a fairly tall hill, and my older 2 wheel drive tractors just can't get the traction they need. I guess I would be satisfied if I could drag 12' long 3' diameter logs up my hill. I also will have a 3/4 of a mile driveway to keep clear during the winter months. If you think the Case is overkill, then I don't want it.

/ Case JX90U #4  
Clearing 30 acres is not a small task. The larger machine will do better in this type of woods work than trying to thin.

That size log is pretty heavy to pull up hill.

I think you are in the right range. A friend worked 2x 4 month seasons clearing 30 acres of softwood for lumber and pulp. He had a helper pulling winch cable and a spare tractor for when they got stuck. The main tractor was similar model NH.

The work will beat the machine up a bunch, broken plastic and wiring and hoses, you may want to look at buying an old skidder to use for the work and then sell it. You can get a decent old JD or Timberjack for 10,000 around here and sell it for the same later.

/ Case JX90U #5  
I'd look into hiring it done. You aren't talking about clearing the land so much as taking out selected trees and downed stuff. Are you still in Ohio? If you have Amish in your area you might find they will pull your logs out with horses. Don't laugh. I had some logging done by an Amish crew. They pulled 70 foot logs out of my place with teams of Belgians and a log arch.

/ Case JX90U #6  
Oh I missed the part that said it was just some of the trees. In that case, the tractor may not be a bad choice if you have other uses for it too. You'll need a winch too unless the woods are very spaced out.

/ Case JX90U
I plan on using the tractor for bailing hay and mowing fields as well. The John Deere I looked at has close to 2 feet lower clearance and 1 ft narrower, I believe the NH has the same width, but is about 1 ft lower clearance. I think with the JD I could definitely be able to get to more areas easier, but I'm afraid that the lack of weight may hinder me too much. The JD comes in at just over 5000 lbs w/o a loader, while the JX90U is around 7500 lbs. Horsepower for the JD is available in 65 & 75, the Case is 85. Do you think the JD would do the job, or would the extra HP and weight be required?

/ Case JX90U #8  
Just so you know, Case and NH offer the same tractors rebadged. Case offers some additional sizes that NH doesn't offer in their economy line.

When you say hills, how steep are we talking? Baling, how big of baler and are your fields hilly too?

I think there are some other models the dealers could show you too. All offer some fairly heavy low tractors that are quite stable.

/ Case JX90U #9  
If I recall the Case-IH JX-U is the same as the New Holland TL-A (T5000). The JX-C is the same as the TN (T4000)