How low can a rotary cutter cut before it starts scapling the ground?

/ How low can a rotary cutter cut before it starts scapling the ground? #1  

Raptor53

On flat/rolling land, how short can it cut grass before scalping becomes an issue?

Thanks.

/ How low can a rotary cutter cut before it starts scapling the ground? #2  
Some are advertized as low as an inch I believe. However, in my experience with a rotary cutter, the problem with scalping is not just the blades being too low. I had a lot of trouble, when mowing close, with having the front edge of the mower plow into the ground on turns or on uneven ground.

For practical purposes I don't think you'd want to cut much below 2 inches on lawn.

/ How low can a rotary cutter cut before it starts scapling the ground? #3  
Raptor53 said:
On flat/rolling land, how short can it cut grass before scalping becomes an issue?

Thanks.

I suppose a mower could cut right to the top of the soil in ideal conditions. However, the earth ain't flat! ;) I have a brush hog that is set up for 4-5" above the ground and I still scalp on berms, sharp inclines, hidden grassy mounds, mole hills, etc...

And the wider the mower deck, the more likely it is to scalp, or leave valleys of long grass, unless it is articulated.

/ How low can a rotary cutter cut before it starts scapling the ground? #4  
Ditto on the prior posts. Big issue is that you have a single WIDE cutter that doesn't articulate, and typically not all your ground is dead flat. So it may cut only to 3" on one side while scalping the other (higher) side. I also find some problems with it being uneven while turning.

I would not plan on cutting lower than about 3" on average, though you may be able to cut somewhat lower in use.

/ How low can a rotary cutter cut before it starts scapling the ground? #5  
Raptor53 said:

Thanks.

Any time you cut so short it exposes the roots, the grass can die. That exact height will depend on the weather. I (ahem) backed up with the box blade during the winter and sheared off the top 1/8" of soil - down to exposed dirt. That spot is the greenest right now after a very cool, cloudy and moist spring allowed the roots to sprout like mad. I've also cut down to 1 1/2" in the summer and killed the grass because it got dry and cloudless for 3 weeks.

If you mean how short until you touch ground with the blades, that also depends on the ground's shape. I know if you keep touching down, it will get flatter!

jb

/ How low can a rotary cutter cut before it starts scapling the ground? #6  
Different mowers (brands/models)have different abilities. I had a Woods BB840 that would scalp on any irregular surface if cutting less than 2" to 2-1/2" . I mow a pasture and part of my lawn now with a Bush Hog 286. It's rolling ground. I cut with the front skids about 3/4" off the ground without any scalping.

In general, a mower wider than the tractor tends to gouge on turns. The wider the mower, the more apt they are to scalp.

/ How low can a rotary cutter cut before it starts scapling the ground? #7  
Farmwithjunk said:
Different mowers (brands/models)have different abilities. I had a Woods BB840 that would scalp on any irregular surface if cutting less than 2" to 2-1/2" . I mow a pasture and part of my lawn now with a Bush Hog 286. It's rolling ground. I cut with the front skids about 3/4" off the ground without any scalping.

In general, a mower wider than the tractor tends to gouge on turns. The wider the mower, the more apt they are to scalp.

HOLY HAWKEYE!!! Don't mean to hijack a thread....but I have to ask. FarmwithJunk, What in the world are you doing up at 3:44 A.M. my time. I know it is probably only 4:44 A.M. where you live. My goodness man....I thought I was the only person up at that time. I tell my wife that the world will stop if I am not up worrying about things so early. :D :D :D

/ How low can a rotary cutter cut before it starts scapling the ground? #8  
WarrenF said:
HOLY HAWKEYE!!! Don't mean to hijack a thread....but I have to ask. FarmwithJunk, What in the world are you doing up at 3:44 A.M. my time. I know it is probably only 4:44 A.M. where you live. My goodness man....I thought I was the only person up at that time. I tell my wife that the world will stop if I am not up worrying about things so early. :D :D :D

Actually, that was 5:45 MY time. But, I'd been up for a while by then. I get up around 3:30, 3:45. Then I'm on my way to work by 4:30, here at 5, and out the door on my way home by 1400hrs.

I'm NOT a banker ;)

I enjoy being up early. The world is a much quieter, calmer place before the huddled mass makes off for work. 'Sides, I get to leave work about the time everyone else is coming back from lunch! That leaves me with a whole 'nuther day after I get home!

/ How low can a rotary cutter cut before it starts scapling the ground? #9  
Farmwithjunk said:
Actually, that was 5:45 MY time. But, I'd been up for a while by then. I get up around 3:30, 3:45. Then I'm on my way to work by 4:30, here at 5, and out the door on my way home by 1400hrs.

Sound great except for the poor neighbors of any property that you are bush hogging at 5:15am.:eek:

/ How low can a rotary cutter cut before it starts scapling the ground? #10  
Look at the height of your blade above the skids or sides of the brush hog.

On my LX4, the blade is one inch above the skids. This is what the manual says, 1" up to about 6 or 8" (don't recall the upper value).

Of course, if your rear wheels drop into a trough or rut, the skids will go down to ground and often dig in. Or, if the ground rises behind and you back it, it'll dig in and cause the blades to scalp.

Ralph