Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Elite Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3240HST, KX-121-3S

Default Re: JD vs Kub Final Decision?

I had to choose between the L3010 and the JD4300. In my case there was a big difference in the respective dealer's service departments, with kubota being the clear winner. But I really liked the feel of the JD and the visibility from the seat. In the end it was the cost and the service that pointed me toward the Kubota. I've never been unhappy with that decision, but would have been equally happy with the Deere if the dealers were equal.

Pete

I looked at both tractors and found both to be EXCELLENT. The kubota was quieter as you mentioned. The fit and finish on both was excellent. My only reservation about the JD's new models was a concern over reliability in the "automated or electronic" tractor. The PlaySkool like buttons concern me. If I use this plastic switch to engage my PTO, what are the chances down the road I'll be replacing it or trying to find out why the solenoid won't work. The same goes for much of the motion controls. If the switches and rocker buttons (which are exposed to the rain or washing), what are the chances of problems? Probably pretty good because the very same button for the PTO engagement is also on my JD 510 ZTR mower. While the button has been OK (you pull it to engage the blade), the safety lockout switch can go bad or needs a pretty close adjustment to ensure the magnetic clutch for the blade will engage. That is controlled by 2 relays, one of which is controlled by yet another switch under the seat the other for clutch release and finally a magnetic clutch. Electrical problems scare me. The wiring on the JD 510 looks complicted enough for having such a simple amount of electrical componets. Even a simple problem like a bad switch invites me to call the dealer to either pick it up for repair or I whip out the DMM and start checking connections, resistances, defective switches, bad relays or simply bad connections. The less that are there, in my experience, the better. Now, that still does not mean the new JD's will even be prone to this, its just been my experince be it autos and trucks or equipment that electrical problems always creep up and I very much dislike them. Both are nice tractors as are the New Holland Booms and the various others. Half the joy of buying a new tractor is finding out who, what, why and finally when your getting it. Whats the other half you ask, figuring out how to pay for it! Best wishes in your search for jubilation, AceKool

<font color=blue>“wind out of their sails…”</font color=blue>

or is that "wind out of their sales" [img]/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Live in Lower Hudson Valley Tractor used mostly in Central NY
    Tractor
    Sold the 4310 downsized to a JD 2320 - Purchased from K.C. Canary (HRT) in Fultonville, NY

Stupid question (maybe) but are they (JD and Kub) both Hydros? Not being familar with the kubota you mentioned a clutch on the left side... even on a Hydro? I know JD places the turning brakes on the left (on the Hydro models) so you can use them, thus I assume (know) the JD is a Hydro... what about the Kub is that a Hydro as well? If not that could explain most of your $3K price difference!

Tractor
    Satoh S650G, MF135, MF165, JD5205

<font color=blue>..."wind out of their sales" ...</font color=blue>

Marie....

Excellent...! [img]/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks to all for very infromative responses. Yes, bothe are Hydo Transmissions. The dealer I went to did not know why there was a clutch on the left and actually thought it was aparking brake. But the other kubota dealer said that the clutch is a safety featue that disengages the trans and PTO's if there is a problem. I am not sure what the JD's if anything like this. However, that means it is hard to brake the Kubota's and work the hydro at the same time as the brake is on the same side as the hydro pedal.

I plan to drive both again this week before I make the plunge.

Also, I noticed on the JD website that there are two size options for r-4's, for $200 extra you get 25x8.5-14 Front and 15-19.5 rear and for $450 extra you get 27.85-15 front and 43x16-20 rear. I assume that the more expensive option tire is larger? which would be nice, since that is one feature I like better on the Kubota. Can someone add more to this?

Live in Lower Hudson Valley Tractor used mostly in Central NY
    Tractor
    Sold the 4310 downsized to a JD 2320 - Purchased from K.C. Canary (HRT) in Fultonville, NY

Re: Tire sizes... I had the same questions... check this out for additional info on TBN go to: John Deere Buying/Pricing... "Tire sizes 4310 option"... post dated 3/21/02. This should answer your questions (it did mine... I went for the larger R4 tire option. Net cost was $200... because I ordered them with the tractor.
    Heres a picture of a 4410 with the larger R4's (4410 same size as a 4310 only a few HP difference): http://www.tractorbynet.com/forumfil...10w-canopy.jpg

I hope this helps and good luck with your new worker whether it be Orange or Green!

The clutch pedal allows several things to happen.
    1. Disengage the PTO immediately, I find it a natural reaction to hit the clutch pedal anytime something goes hay wire.
    2. Shift from Low, to Medium to High easier by helping to release gear tension.
    3. Also release gear tension when going into/out of 4WD.

Other then that, you don't really touch the clutch.

As far as brake turns. I find having a hydrostatic transmission eliminates brake turns. Going forward to backwards is so quick that I would not use my brakes for turns, besides, even on my big tractor, I never brake turn, it skids the braking wheel and tears up anything underneath it. If you absolutely need to do brake turns, get the JD. My feeling is you won't need too! AceKool

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3710, Ford 5600, Case MB4/94, Kubota B6200

I do brake turns with my kubota and having the hydro pedal on the same side is a nuisance. Not often but still it's awkward. The Kubota is light on the front even with the FEL. If you turn the wheels right in a close quarters situation without moving, the front of the tractor is actually pushed left and vice versa.

It makes loader operations with forks awkward. Locking one of the rear tires with the brakes helps when you're close to something you don't want to hit when you know turning the steering wheel is going to initially push you the opposite way.

Tractor
    NH TC25D

Have you received a price on the JD recently. I noticed that on JD's web site they are offering update <font color=green>$1,200</font color=green> off any new 4000 TEN Series Tractors. See <A target="_blank" HREF=http://customer.johndeere.com/golfandturfprofessionals/specialoffers/specials.html>http://customer.johndeere.com/golfandturfprofessionals/specialoffers/specials.html</A>. This might get the price of the JD closer to the kubota. I am not sure when they started this deal but I am sure it is in response to Kubota's deals and the low financing on NH.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast