Fiat Hesston 55-46 - a good tractor?

/ Fiat Hesston 55-46 - a good tractor? #1  

drw

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota L2800
I've been thinking about having a backup tractor for my gardening use, and today a neighbor of mine has offered to sell his 55-46 Fiat-Hesston tractor for $4,000. It's 45HP and seems like it would be a good fit for me.

I did some searching and it seems like these are good solid tractors, but I've never heard of them before, and I wonder about the availability of parts should things break down in the future.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Are they indeed a good brand, and is this a good price for this tractor?

/ Fiat Hesston 55-46 - a good tractor? #2  
FIAT = Fix It Again Tony.

mark

/ Fiat Hesston 55-46 - a good tractor? #3  
I've got this one brother-in-law who'd complain if you hung him with a new rope. NOTHING seems to meet his standards, EXCEPT his Hesston 55-46. He bought it new and claims it's the best tractor he's ever owned. He does about 75 acres of hay and bush hogs another 25 or 30 acres of pasture. Seems to be a very reliable tractor.

/ Fiat Hesston 55-46 - a good tractor? #4  
Ran a couple of these Fiat's over the years,,, mostly Olivers, 1250,1255,1365,1465 I liked them,my favorite 1255 4wd,, but I would really check into part sources before purchacing, never ran a Heston

/ Fiat Hesston 55-46 - a good tractor? #5  
Fiat-Hesston parts are available through CaseIH and New Holland dealerships.

/ Fiat Hesston 55-46 - a good tractor?
Do ya'll think $4K is a reasonable price for this tractor?

/ Fiat Hesston 55-46 - a good tractor? #7  
What condition is the tractor in? How many hours, any leaks, how are the tires? Probably not a bad price, from what I can find, it was manufactured 1988-89.

/ Fiat Hesston 55-46 - a good tractor? #8  
drw said:
Do ya'll think $4K is a reasonable price for this tractor?

That 55-46 is either a 1988 or 89 model. If it's a 2WD model, $4K is on the high side unless it has low hours and everything works (lights, gauges, 3pt, pto, etc). If its a 4WD model, then $4K is a really good price since dealers get up to $5200 for this tractor in cherry condition.

/ Fiat Hesston 55-46 - a good tractor? #10  
to me $4000 is a fair price if the paint is good,the tires are good an everything works on it.hesston has made tractors for a good meny years.have a friend that has a hesston cab loader 4x4,an he likes it very much as its a tough old tractor.