Comparison

/ Comparison #1  

Nickthegrip

First post - this is a great forum to learn from.

I'm interested in buying a CUT in the 28-32 hp range - Mahindra, Kubota, JD, Kioti, etc etc etc. Name is not important, performance and reliability is.

Is there a website, excel spreadsheet, anything that I can get ahold of that directly compares numerous tractor brands by... (horsepower I guess?).

I'm looking to compare apples to apples, and want to be able to see the FEL lift capacity, backhoe breakout force, fuel tank sizes, etc of comparable brands.

I think I'm pipe dreaming here, but you folks know way more than I do...

/ Comparison #2  
A lot of the manufacturers have comparison sheets, but I find them to be a bit bias, and the models they compare are usually not apples to apples comparisons. It is best to make your own. If you have any Mahindra questions, I will try my best to answer them.

/ Comparison #3  
I think I'm pipe dreaming here

Probably so. In addition to the comparisons you listed, there's also transmission choices, weight, tire choices, and perhaps as important as anything else are the ergonomic factors. If possible, visit different dealers, get their brochures, and you can do your own comparisons from those, and at the same time you can sit on and operate different machines to find the one that suits you best, and to find the dealer you like the best.

And welcome to Tractorbynet!

/ Comparison #4  
This is also my 1st post. I too am searching for a cut, although my hp requirements are from about 24 to 30 and am looking for an HST tranny. I went to all my local dealers and the internet and gathered the info and put together a spreadsheet that lets me compare and sort the data in different ways. I haven't included bh specs as I am not in that market (yet :D lol) I'll try to attach it here for you to use as you wish, to modify or add/subtract or whatever. Hope it helps some

Pax

/ Comparison #5  
Nickthegrip and pax :

Welcome to TBN :D! You can make yourself crazy trying to compare all the different criteria for all the good tractor brands in the marketplace based on the company specific biases inherent to the available Sales & Marketing Literature. My suggestion is to sit on, drive, and operate as many tractors as you can as well as get a "feel" for the dealerships. A good dealer will save you money in the long run. Tractors of similar frame size and HP rating will be pretty similar in performance; tractor weights and prices will vary. If mowing will be your primary task go with a lighter tractor if ground engaging tasks will be your primary task go with a heavier tractor. If working on slopes go with a wider tractor "footprint". I went with an HST driven tractor and the 3 specs I did look at a little were the gpm capacities of the power steering and hydraulic pump and the 3 point hitch point lift capacity at 24" behingd the balls. Good luck on your searches. This should be a fun part of the tractor research and acquisition process. Keep us posted and send pictures. We like pictures. Jay :)

/ Comparison #6  
In my opinion comparing tractor side by side is what you do when you're buying a car/truck. My way of thinking is to sit down and realistactly (sp) determine what you really need then look at the dealers that can give you a tractor to do the job. As an example my first tractor was an SCUT with FEL and MMM. Worked pretty good got "most" jobs done in a reasonable time. When I almost burned up the motor trying to cut to high pasture weeds too fast I decided I needed to get a tractor to do the job right. Sitting down I figured I needed to mow "most" of the time. FEL work "some" of the time and everything else was intermittent. Next I decided on how fast I wanted to do the primary task. In this case I wanted to be able to mow 25 acres within an 8 to 10 hour period. After that it was pretty simple to find the tractor that would do the job within the time limit and at the price I could afford. Next was to find a dealer in my area that I felt I could trust. As it turned out for "me" I ended up with a JD5103,512FEL,6ft rotory mower and 6ft box blade. I added a 500lb seed spreader within 2 weeks of purchase. Other implements I'll add as money is available. I've also got neighbors with other impliments I can use.

I hope this helps abit.

/ Comparison #7  
Nickthegrip said:
First post - this is a great forum to learn from.

I'm interested in buying a CUT in the 28-32 hp range - Mahindra, Kubota, JD, Kioti, etc etc etc. Name is not important, performance and reliability is.

Is there a website, excel spreadsheet, anything that I can get ahold of that directly compares numerous tractor brands by... (horsepower I guess?).

I'm looking to compare apples to apples, and want to be able to see the FEL lift capacity, backhoe breakout force, fuel tank sizes, etc of comparable brands.

I think I'm pipe dreaming here, but you folks know way more than I do...

In that limited hp range you're considering, there won't be large variations in the specs you mentioned. Don't waste time up front doing spreadsheets.

You need to test drive the tractors you're interested in then take a look at the spec sheets to be sure the ones you like per the test drive have all the whistles and bells you want. Then pull the trigger and enjoy.

/ Comparison
I don't know if like minded people are interested, but that spread sheet that Pax did up is great. Exactly what I was looking for, thanks alot Pax.

I understand what you other guys have said, I will definitely get in the seats of alot of machines before I purchase.

Unless someone has a steal of a deal in Eastern Connecticut for me :D

Thanks for all of your comments, they're most appreciated.

/ Comparison #10  
I just went through a search for a similar sized tractor. Ended up with a Kioti CK35. For a short time they're coming with a free Front End Loader and I couldn't come anywhere close to the deal I was able to make on the Kioti with any other tractor.

Drop a PM to KiotiKid on this forum (Scott), he helped me a lot via PM even though I was buying my tractor from a dealer down south here. He sells Bobcat and Kioti near Boston MA, don't know how close it is to you but at least it's New England and I found Scott to be a super nice guy.

Dave