Asking for suggestions - Not sure what tractor/mower I need

/ Asking for suggestions - Not sure what tractor/mower I need #1  

psk67

Greetings. I recently purchased an 18 acre parcel on which we intend to build a house. Roughly 10 acres are pasture and maybe 2 acres are lawn. The other 6 acres are woods, brush, etc.

I need to be able to mow the pasture (maybe every 2-3 weeks; grass and other growth could reach 10+ inches). I also need to be able to cut the lawn. My goal is to be able to mow and cut as quickly as possible

In addition, the property had been neglected for a few years, so there is a bunch of work that needs to be done (downed trees cut-up; thick brush and overgrown bushes removed, etc.). I'd also like to be able to move some dirt around, roto-till, etc.

I currently have a '47 Farmall H with a 6' bushhog on the back. It runs great and I've been using it to mow the pasture. But, it's a bit slow and, obviously, lacks any semblance of safety features. I also have a JD L110 lawn tractor (42" cut). I'm willing to get rid of both of them if another combination of equipment would be better.

I'm not looking to break the bank with any purchases, so I'll probably buy used. But, I'm trying to decide how to get the most bang for my buck. Do I get a 72" zero-turn mower to do the lawn and the pasture? Or maybe something like a JD 2305 with loader and belly mower? Is the zero turn mower going to be that much quicker than a tractor? Any help would be appreciated.

/ Asking for suggestions - Not sure what tractor/mower I need #2  
The zero turn will be a lot quicker than the tractor.

/ Asking for suggestions - Not sure what tractor/mower I need #3  
The ZTR would be faster for the lawn.
As far as the pasture, that depends what type of vegetation. The ZTR's are mowers, not brush cutters (bush hog).
You could tear up a rather expensive mower trying to clear brush.

At this point, I suggest you look for a newer tractor that can handle a 6' cutter and keep the L110 for lawn mowing. Eventually, you could get a rear finishing mower (or a belly mower) to replace the lawn tractor.

It'll take 25+ PTO HP to handle that 6' cutter, BTW.

If funds are tight after buying the property and saving to build a house...well, what you have does work.
All you need to do is set your priorities.

Last edited:
   / Asking for suggestions - Not sure what tractor/mower I need #4  
RoyJackson said:
The ZTR would be faster for the lawn.
At this point, I suggest you look for a newer tractor that can handle a 6' cutter and keep the L110 for lawn mowing. .

I agree
lawn mowers mow lawns, tractors do everything else. It's the best mix.

/ Asking for suggestions - Not sure what tractor/mower I need
Thanks. Would a JD 2305 (24HP diesel) be too weak for a 6' cutter?

/ Asking for suggestions - Not sure what tractor/mower I need #6  
psk67 said:

do you know if that 6' cutter is a 'light duty' or a 'medium duty'? if it's a medium duty then it's pretty dog gone heavy. i would even guess that the 6' light duty would be too much for a 2305. my suggestion would be something like a JD 3120 or something similar. compare similar models from kubota, NH, Mahindra, etc. just depends what dealers are closest to you. the reason i suggested a 3120 series is those come with a belly mower as well as being able to run that 6' bush hog.

/ Asking for suggestions - Not sure what tractor/mower I need #7  
I have a very heavy duty 6 ft brush hog rated for 80-85 HP PTO on a 39 HP Kubota L4610. I cut 4 inch and larger trees but don't think I would recommend going under 30 HP to run it unless you are using it for much lighter work.

I have a friend with a light duty JD 5 ft brush hog on a 25 HP tractor and for grass and weeds it is just fine but not to exceed saplings of about an inch in diameter.

Pat

/ Asking for suggestions - Not sure what tractor/mower I need #8  
i would fennce it off and turn cattle,goats,sheep, and horses on it

/ Asking for suggestions - Not sure what tractor/mower I need #9  
psk67 said:

yes
I have a MF 1433 (27PTO HP, 33 engine) and it's all it can do to run a 6' bush hog. It's overmatched in anything over 2 or 3 feet tall.

a 5' would be a much better fit for 24 PTO HP.

The usual rule of thumb is 5 PTO HP per foot of bushhog.

/ Asking for suggestions - Not sure what tractor/mower I need
OK, so from what I'm hearing the 2305 would be too weak for a 72" cutter. What's the next step up from the various manufacturers? There is a JD dealer near me, as well an a New Holland dealer. But again, I plan to buy used, and I don't mind driving a bit to find the best tractor. So manufacturer may not be that important. For what it's worth, I'm not particularly easy on my equipment.

Sorry if I seem to be asking novice questions, but I'm a novice.

I think I'm going to buy a zero turn for the lawn area, so I'm just looking for a tractor that can handle a 72" shredder, a loader and maybe some tilling work.