Which tractor should I get for tillage & haymaking?

/ Which tractor should I get for tillage & haymaking? #1  

candersen10

Gold Member
Tractor
Cat 262c, NH TN75, JD 6430 premium, JD 5325, Kubota BX2200, Ford 1710HC, JD 333E, JD3720, Farmall 504, Farmall 404.
I have 150 acres 30 minutes west of Philadelphia; currently, 40 acres are used for vegetable production and 110 acres are set up for a pastured beef operation and eventually dairy.

Anyway, currently we have a TN75 and a 5325, both of which we use for tillage, cultivation, mowing, and various other jobs. Recently, I have found that I need to use a moldboard plow to till in my cover crops as they are too thick for a chisel plow, however, both of my machines struggle to pull a 3 bottom plow over 4 mph which is about the speed necessary to prevent it from being clogged. In order to use the moldboard plow in these cover crops(hairy vetch, clover, and rye), I have to mow through them twice, disc them once or twice, and then wait several days in order to plow through them. This wasteful and repetitive process has lead me to the conclusion that I need a larger tillage tractor that can also be used for haymaking (mower conditioner, baler, etc). I currently have a 10 foot sunflower disc and would get a 3 or 4 bottom rollover moldboard plow which I believe necessitates a pretty big machine because of its weight.

My thought at this point is to replace my TN75 with a larger model, probably a John Deere as I have had very good experience with our local dealer. Thus far, I have only really looked at a John Deere 6430 and was wondering what people thought about this model and what other models I should look at. A major concern I have is that a machine as large as the 6430 will not be able to fit in any of my row spacing and will thus be worthless for cultivating crops, meaning that I will only be able to use my 5325. Currently, my TN75 is 79 inches wide and my 5325 is 81 inches wide(from outside of rear tire to the same point on the opposite side). Does anyone know if a tractor as large as a 6430 would be able to run an 81 inch width? Also, has anyone had experience running a 6430? Likes? Dislikes? Better competitive models?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

/ Which tractor should I get for tillage & haymaking? #2  
Hello I have a 6415 JD its 80 hp PTO i can pull a 4 bottom plow with it easy i use it to mow and bale hay works great for me .....chris.....

/ Which tractor should I get for tillage & haymaking? #3  
I own a 6430 Deere. It's used primarily to pull a 15' batwing mower (I own a mowing business) The 6430 is considered a row crop tractor. It has adjustable track width. I see no problem with setting it to most any common crop row widths. The 6430 would handle most any of the chores you've mentioned without breaking a sweat. It's a lot of tractor, but it carries a hefty purchase price :eek:

/ Which tractor should I get for tillage & haymaking? #4  
I cut hay with 5325 and have no problems.

/ Which tractor should I get for tillage & haymaking? #6  
We're probably about 45 minutes from you. We have a large selection of the Case, New Holland and Kubota machines in that size. There are some killer deals out there now. (Example, old Stock, large frame, 95hp, Kubota M95 w/ loader for $42,900) Let me know if we can help. Lots of good programs on Case IH Farmall 95's, like 3-4 of those in stock.

Neilm@messicks.com
www.messicks.com

/ Which tractor should I get for tillage & haymaking? #7  
We're probably about 45 minutes from you. We have a large selection of the Case, New Holland and Kubota machines in that size. There are some killer deals out there now. (Example, old Stock, large frame, 95hp, Kubota M95 w/ loader for $42,900) Let me know if we can help. Lots of good programs on Case IH Farmall 95's, like 3-4 of those in stock.

Neilm@messicks.com
www.messicks.com

That is a killer price on that M 95... If my local Kubota dealer had been at that $$ 2 years ago I would most like be using an orange instead of a red in front of my baler.

/ Which tractor should I get for tillage & haymaking? #8  
Candersen10 have you looked at a McCormick cx 110 or a mc115 , the mc will have same spec as the 6430 but will weigh 1000lb more you will need that with that flip over-----------dave

/ Which tractor should I get for tillage & haymaking? #9  

Neilm@messicks.com
www.messicks.com
Neil,
These Farmall 95's you mentioned, would these be the U series or the more basic ones that are similar to a NH TD? Cabs or open? FWD?

Also, what exact model is the Kubota M95 with the loader?

If I can't find something local I'll give your people a call. Thanks.

/ Which tractor should I get for tillage & haymaking? #10  
Candersen10 have you looked at a McCormick cx 110 or a mc115 , the mc will have same spec as the 6430 but will weigh 1000lb more you will need that with that flip over-----------dave
Just a heads-up that this thread was started over a year ago. I believe Mr. Andersen already has his new JD. But good information here for the rest of us.