Looking for my first tractor.. help

/ Looking for my first tractor.. help #11  
joester said:
Hi, this is my first post and I need help deciding on a new tractor. First I have zero exp with tractors. I bought a house and 8.5 acres last year. I will use the tractor to cut a 4 acree field, mow one fairly steep hill with a pond at the bottom right in the center, and clear some brush around the place. I have decided I definitely want a loader with the tractor, just seems too handy to not have and I could find many uses for it. I have looked at a lot of tractors on the internet new and used. Tomorrow I am going to browse a couple of local farm machinery places. From researching on the internet I like the Mahindras if I were to go with a new tractor but there are not any close dealers in case of problems. Closest is like 50-60 miles away. What hp would you recommend and would a 4wd be necessary for the hill? I will have to do a lot of crossways mowing on it because of the pond. I mow it now with my Poulan 22hp 54 inch cut garden tractor/lawn mower and it is about half dangerous in spots. Sorry this is so long and thanks for any suggestions.

I grew up on a farm, drove tractors since I was 5, have bought 4 tractors, 3 used and one of them was a big problem. The advice I would give you is to find a good dealer, one that you think you can trust, tell them what you are going to do with it, and buy something that they recommend and that they will warrantee.

/ Looking for my first tractor.. help #12  
JOESTER: If it is possible, I would build a small barrier around the danger areas of the pond, with a curb or small retaining wall for safety, when operating in that area. If it destroys the view from your homesite, or some other reason; maybe a suitable fence would work? This may give you more options on the tractor selection?

Because of the fear of the hillside, what ever tractor you decide, I would get R-1 tires for safety, unless it is a low profile mowing type? They allow multiple adjustments for rear wheel width to prevent sliding, or the fear of a roll-over! As others may have mentioned, the horsepower range of 20-30, decides on how fast you want to complete the jobs? There is a lot of talent on this site, and if you read all the issues, your final decision will give you peace of mind. Good luck.