Would you buy a JD 110 TLB with 2k hours?

/ Would you buy a JD 110 TLB with 2k hours? #1  

Carpenter

Silver Member
Tractor
PT425, Kubota L39 TLB
I've been looking for a compact TLB for a while. All the ones I can afford have 1,200 to 2,000 hrs. I know that's not many hours on a full size TLB but I'm wondering how the compacts generally hold up?

I'll be using it for general farm use and on my own projects, not commercially. I may not put another 2k on it in my lifetime. Does anyone have experience with a JD 110 - L48 - L39 with higher hours? Most that I see are under 1k.

The latest I've located is a JD 110 with 2k that has all the options I want and can afford but I'm a little afraid of the hours. Your opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

/ Would you buy a JD 110 TLB with 2k hours? #2  
I had an L-39 and I've rented a 110 about a 1/2 dozen times and an L-48 3 or 4 times. All good machines. 110 is more tractor, heavier, bigger back tires, seems stronger, more features than an L-39.

My L-39 was a good little machine, too, but I didn't own it long enough to really say how it would hold up after 2000 hrs.

L-48 looks to be the best of the bunch based on what I've seen. They're cheaper and have a bit more PTO HP than 110. Some guys don't like the 3 ranges and the ground speeds you have to work in don't quite fit every situation. The 110 is hydro so it can go almost any speed.

How much you lookin to spend? I had 2 compact TLB's (L-35 for 5 years, L-39 for 2 years) and finally wised up and bought a full size CASE. If you won't be putting on many hours, a higher houred full size with cab will last you a lifetime.

No more struggling or wishing I had more power or freezing or sweating my butt off. Since it won't be leaving your farm, small size for trailering shouldn't be an issue.

If you can swing high 30's, you can get a full size machine with ~3,000 hrs with cab & air/heat, etc. When you get into heavy work, the machine stays stable & safer.

/ Would you buy a JD 110 TLB with 2k hours?
Builder,

I thought about a full size TLB but I have another piece of property about 25 miles away that I need to work on. I also have my wife's business that requires snow removal and has some tight working spaces. I also would like to be able to use some 3 pt implements at both of these sites, so transporting will come in to play.

I've been involved in construction my whole life, so I know where you're coming from, but I think a compact will work better for me at this point. I know there will be times when I long for more power but I'll just have to live with it.

My biggest concern is that because the compact TLB's are not full size, that they might have been over stressed trying to do full size tasks. If money was no object, I'd buy a new one, but my budget is $25k or under.

Thanks

/ Would you buy a JD 110 TLB with 2k hours? #4  
2K hours isn't alot of time on these tractors -- (if they're maintained properly). If you've worked construction for many year's; you know that heavy built equipment will keep doin' the job even at 10K hours.

Don't overlook the L48. There's some good, low-hour ones here and there and they've got a bit more power than the 110. And they might be less $$$ than a similar hour, equipped 110.

Check it over real good --- pin wear, sloppiness, blow-by, leaky cylinders, welds, cracks; you probably have as good an eye for what to look for in equipment as any of us...

And if you want some extra insurance --- do an oil analysis before you plunk down the cash. (And ask for maintainance records, too.)

Best of luck.

AKfish

AKfish,

I wish I was as confident about my equipment knowledge as you are. :) I was a carpenter for 40 years but never an equipment operator. I'll take someone who really knows what they're doing when I go to inspect.

I started out looking for an L48, but after a few months I've yet to find one reasonably close by that's in my price range. My nearest Kubota dealer is 45 miles away over a mountain pass and my JD dealer is 3 miles away. The 110 I mentioned has a hyd. thumb, belly pan, 3pt. and extra remotes which are all appealing but it's 300 miles away and has more hours than some of the others I've seen; maybe I'll keep looking.

Builder,

I wish I could find one of those low hour, $25k, L48's here in the NW. No luck yet.

Thanks for the input.

/ Would you buy a JD 110 TLB with 2k hours? #7  
Builder,

I appreciate the effort and some of those would fit the bill but the closet one is 1,000 miles away. All the good buys seem to be in the SE, Pa. or TX. (sigh).

/ Would you buy a JD 110 TLB with 2k hours? #9  
Carpenter said:
Builder,

I appreciate the effort and some of those would fit the bill but the closet one is 1,000 miles away. All the good buys seem to be in the SE, Pa. or TX. (sigh).

Carpenter,

Don't give up hope. You might be able to get it shipped for $1,000-1,500. If you get a great deal on the machine, might be worth a second look. I buy equipment from as far a 2,000 miles away with little worries. You might find a fellow TBN'er to look over a machine for you before you buy it!

/ Would you buy a JD 110 TLB with 2k hours? #10  
My friend has the 110,he has approx. 1300 hours on it,only thing he doesn't have the bellypan,so we have to be carefull. His machine does the bigger work , my massey does the jobs that don't have to be dug over 6 1/2 feet deep., He has the hydraulic thumb too, it does a good job pulling stumps, boulders. plowking