I'd appreciate any thoughts on an International 444

/ I'd appreciate any thoughts on an International 444 #1  

psk67

I'm looking at an International 444. It will be used primarily for pulling a 6' bush hog and occassionally for moving dirt, rocks, etc. In addition to the equipment listed below, I will have to buy a backhoe for it. We recently purchased an 18 acre parcel that had been neglected for several years, and so there is a bit of clearing that needs to be done. The bush hog will be for the pasture areas (maybe 10 acres). I plan to purchase a ZTR for the lawn area (maybe 2 acres). The tractor is being described as follows:<>

INTERNATIONAL 444 WITH INTERNATIONAL LOADER HAS 2 STAGE CLUTCH WORKS GREAT HAS A STRONG RUNNING 4 CYLINDER GAS ENGINE ALSO HAS HIGH & LOW TRANNSMISSION HRS UNKNOWN METER SHOWS AROUND 2000 BUT IS NOT WORKING NEEDS A CABLE . HAS A TOTAL OF 8 SPEEDS EVERYTHING WORKS LIKE IT SHOULD . HAS 3 PT HITCH WITH STABILIZERS .& CENTER LINK 540 PTO HAS DUEL POWER STEERING ALL LIGHTS WORK COMES WITH A WOODS 6 FOOT YORK RAKE & A 6 FOOT JOHN DEERE SPRING TOOTH HARROW.REAR TIRES ARE FILLED & ARE ABOUT 90% FRONTS ONE 80% OTHER 50% .THIS TRACTOR IS RATED AT 42 HP ....STARTS RIGHT UP NO CHOKE NEEDED<>

For how I plan to use it, what are the positives and negatives for this tractor? Any specific questions I should ask the seller? I definitely want to go used, as I'm on a tight budget.

/ I'd appreciate any thoughts on an International 444 #2  
We have had a 354 for almost 20 years. I think it is around 35 HP and a little newer but body style is real close. I think the only thing we have done is replaced the brakes once and the points and condenser a few times. Keep the oil and the plugs fresh and thats all thats required. If the brakes are the same as the 354, they have a tendency to lock up if not used frequently. All you have to do to unlock them is run in the reverse direction a foot or so and it unlocks. No big deal at all. We have had real good luck with ours and would consider another if needed.

Rich

/ I'd appreciate any thoughts on an International 444 #3  
One of the most UNDER-RATED tractors IH ever sold. They were very solid, very reliable, very well balanced (power to weight) little machines. I'm more familiar with the diesel personally, but the gas engine has a strong lineage. I've known several people who've owned 444's and sang high praises.

VERY strong hydraulics for a tractor of its size and era.

As with ANY 30+ year old tractor, it's now all about the condition of the individual tractor more so than what they were collectively as new tractors. But, if this one appears to be in decent shape and you can get it at a good buck, I wouldn't hesitate for one second. SOMEONE will snatch it up.

/ I'd appreciate any thoughts on an International 444 #4  
Great tractors! One of my all time favorites for longevity and reliabilty.
I do regret selling one of my own that I'd rebuilt that was a diesel 25 years ago. Dry brakes have been a problem for years with the older tractors but with regular use should be fine for years.