Newbie questions

/ Newbie questions #1  

dieseldom

hello all,

Great Board!! I have learned too much in such a short time; roughly two weeks of lurking! ;)

I have few questions mostly on the various PTO's out there for SubCUT and CUT's. and one question on remotes.

is there any difference between a 'live' and 'continuous' PTO. also noticed JD seem to be equipped exclusively with 'independant' PTO's What are some of the more obvious hang-ups with these types. I have read numerous posts concerning winter operations using a set-up with mid and rear implements. but i don't foresee how one system of engagement would be better than the other.

my question on remotes....what is a remote??

thanks

dieseldom

/ Newbie questions #2  
What you want to look for is live PTO which means when you stop the tractor your implement keeps running. Rear remotes are hycraulic lines with quick couplers on the rear of the tractor whick can be used to actuate a hydraulic cylinder. (To lift or dump a trailing implement or run a wood splitter, operate anything which requires hydraulic pressure)

/ Newbie questions #3  
Plain live pto generally refers to a 2-stage clutch setup.. independent genrally has a seperate pto clutch al together... independent is arguably the 'better' unit.. but 2-stage clutches get by just fine and are usually cheaper..

soundguy

/ Newbie questions #4  
Once upon a time, tractor PTO's were driven through the transmission of the tractor, and power to the external PTO stub shaft would be cut off when you depressed the main drive clutch. If there was an implement attached to the PTO that had any "momentum", it would continue to back-feed that momentum through the PTO and drive the transmission, even with the clutch disengaged, and no engine power reaching the transmission. As it sounds, that was very capable of causing a dangerous situation at times. As an example, early tractors WITHOUT live power will commonly be "pushed" by a rotary mower even with the clutch disengaged. (A "ratchet" mechanism installed in the PTO driveline, known as an OVER-RIDING CLUTCH can interrupt that dangerous condition)

Live power is a generic term where a seperate clutch is used to engage/disengage the PTO and/or the transmission. GENERALLY, live power is done with a 2-stage clutch, actuated by the same pedal, but not as a hard and fast rule. That has become the GENERALLY ACCEPTED way of accomplishing the end result.

I've heard 2 renditions of WHO introduced "live power". Depending on which version, either Allis Chalmers or Oliver developed the concept in the 1940's.

Independent PTO ISN'T a "generic term". It's SPECIFICALLY a seperate system, not controlled through the same clutch pedal as the main drive clutch. In some cases, INDEPENDENT PTO's are actuated with a hydraulic slave cylinder, sometimes with an electric solenoid, or even a simple mechanical clutch/lever. The SPECIFIC is, they're totally seperate from the drive line that provides the tractors motive force.

Since the 2-stage clutch design has become the "standard" method of controlling live power, live power and 2-stage clutch have become synonomous. (sp)

Simularly, once upon a time, "live hydraulics" weren't always available. Depressing the clutch (or in some cases, a hand clutch) would cut the flow of engine power to the hydraulic pump. First attempts at live hydraulics powered the pump through the same 2-stage clutch. When PTO power was disengaged, so was the hydraulic power. It's common practice nowdays to build tractors with "continuous hydraulics" where they're driven directly from the engine, and no interuption of power when any clutch, be it main drive OR PTO clutch is disengaged.

A hydraulic "remote" is simply an external source of hydraulic power available to attach implements to the tractors internal hydraulic system. A set of quick couplers are provided (usually at the rear of the tractor, but in many cases at the tractors mid point) with controls at the operators reach.

/ Newbie questions #5  
FWJ-that may be the best synopsis of of PTO evolution and live hydraulics that I have read (at least in a short & sweet version).

Good job!

/ Newbie questions
rtimgray said:
FWJ-that may be the best synopsis of of PTO evolution and live hydraulics that I have read (at least in a short & sweet version).

Good job!

Agreed!:D Thank you

/ Newbie questions #7  
rtimgray said:

Good job!

I third the motion. Thanks.