Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Gold Member
    Tractor
    1952 Case DC-4, 2001 JD4300 MFWD, HST

Default Re: Where is the most value for your dollar JD or Kub

The 4100s are built entirely in Japan. The larger 4000 series units, as far as I know, have only the engine and some small controls parts sourced from Japan. The transmission/rear axle assembly in made by Funk Manufacturing in Nebraska. The front axle is made by Dana Spicer somewhere in the USA. The loaders are made in Canada, and the mower decks and backhoes say "Made in USA". I have even seen markings on some of the castings that say "Made in Spain". It is truly a global product. The official country of origin for the larger 4000 series tractors is the good ole USA.

Tractor
    Kubota B2910

kubota mower decks (as well as the loaders) are also made in Georgia, I believe. At least that's what the decal says.

Jeff

Gold Member
    Tractor
    1952 Case DC-4, 2001 JD4300 MFWD, HST

I believe that the JD 790 and 990 are also made entirely in Japan, by Yanmar, just like the 4100, 4010, 4110, and 4115.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3710, Ford 5600, Case MB4/94, Kubota B6200

It looks like the economics can go different ways. JD isn't buying Yanmars just to be buying Yanmars.
    But when you look at it, at least three parties (Yanmar, JD & a JD dealer) have a rate of return built into the final selling price.

With a kubota you have Kubota and the dealer unless Kubota is buying the tractor from someone else. Implements seem to be from all over the place. FWIW, I picked up my Kubota MMM in the crate. The paperwork was in Japanese. On the Kubota units comparable to JD's 4100 series it doesn't look like the dollar may play a part. On tractors above the 4100 series where JD doesn't import an equivalent tractor, I still think Kubota has an advantage over JD because of the strong dollar.

The dealer's desire to deal is the other factor. Some dealers have that "here's the price take it or leave it" attitude. Other dealers want to know what's the best price the customer has already been quoted. I think any JD or Kubota dealer can beat the competition if they want.

Until I'd bought my tractor, I had no idea there was a Kubota dealer about an hour away. The dealer does not advertise. He also didn't carry any of the L series I was considering. When I stopped to buy hydraulic fluid, I asked why they didn't advertise or carry the larger tractors. To make it short, the guy didn't want to deal. He complained about folks getting a quote and then beating him up (verbally) because he wouldn't match JD or Ford.

If you don't like the price try another dealer.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota BX-2360

My kubota (BX2200) has Made in USA stickers on the tractor, the mower and the FEL...

Tractor
    01 Kubota B21TLB, 2010 Ferris 52" ZTR, Cub Cadet 1811, Gravely Super8

Region to region in the USA the competition varies. Where there is a dense CUT market and demand there are better prices (and most comparable) on the CUT's. By the same token where there is moderate CUT demand, but more ag influence, JD may be higher in price.

In the JD ag market these dealers are selling $50K to $200K+ machines to a stable group of local buyers that value long term relationships for service parts etc. Not to say that the Kub dealers aren't but its all about the dealers' market postition and one that he is focused on.

Both Orange and Green build good machines but ultimately serve different markets. If you consider what kubota sells here in one year vs JD in total then this probably would put this in perspective.

Maybe someone with recent knowledge can provide some #s on JD Aq and CUT sales vs Kubota CUT & Ag in the USA.

Carl

The Fabulous Foothills of Northern California

Carl, out here where I live is perhaps some of the most intense agriculture/farming in the world. Here in Northern California we tend to have more of the orchard particularly almonds, walnuts and then the typical products like tomatoes and our world famous asparagus from the delta region. Without a doubt, John Deere is the dominant agriculture tractor used. There are probably 10 JD's or more for every other brand available. The market changes considerably though for the compacts. With no numbers, but rather observations, kubota would easily appear to outsell JD, NH, and others combined by about the same margin. Most compact tractor dealers always carry at least 2 big names to survive. Many carry compacts and then industrial or Ag equipment to make the business profitable. My local dealer sells John Deere compacts and Kubota. The lot is 90% orange and the rest green. One would think that would mean he can't keep the JD's in stock, but of course, it does not. He tells me that the Kubotas outsell the JD's by a huge margin, and price has little to do with it. That may very well change with the new lineup from JD. My other local dealer sells NH and Kubota. He also says the Kubota outsell the NH "Boomer" tractors, but not by a huge margin like the Kubota/JD dealer. Anyway, thats my 2 cents worth of information about the compacts. Rat...

Tractor
    01 Kubota B21TLB, 2010 Ferris 52" ZTR, Cub Cadet 1811, Gravely Super8

Mark,

Agreed the Orange outsell the Green CUT in most markets, and that's kubota's objective to "own the market" by making great machines at good prices. Now JD has a much more diverse line and depending on the dealers local market they will be competitive to Kubota if that's the demand. If the local demand and sales are AG related JD dealers will stock and sell what moves the best. Your case exactly, with the JD/Kub dealer selling CUT's from Kubota and probably a lot of JD AG related machines and implements.

Where we are here in the east with fewer farms today (it's the rocks in NH) the dealers are focused on what sells - and that's CUT's and Industrial machines typically. Very few over 60HP or combines, balers etc.

That said, the dealer is going to stock and sell what makes his enterprise profitable. So when going into a dealer that caters to the CUT market likely you will get a more competitive deal just due to the fact that they 1. do more volume, 2, are focused on this market.

It would be interesting to hear dealer feedback on this topic.

Carl

In Northern Oregon there are 3 JD dealers to every one kubota. I own both and can tell you the ratio does not mean that much in terms of quality.
    Find a dealer you can work with who has an honest mechanic and you are getting ahead of the game! Right off the bat.
    I will not name names but I have had some difficulty with dealers-usually by taking their word for value on used machines-but also on shop time billings.
    If you buy new, shop all dealers for price then find a dealer you want to do business with for shop time(if any).
    Now days if you are a home owner you will never or rarely have to go to a dealer for much of anything-except piece of mind. The tractors(JD or Kubota) are simply built beyond most end user requirements.
    If you have a commercial business then take a hard look and have your CPA figure it out. But never forget it is your gut fealing that makes the final business decision. Be that in China or at the local JD dealer, you have to feel comfortable with your decision.
    My bottom line advice is go Kubota or Deere and you will be happy with your decision!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12