Where is the most value for your dollar JD or Kub

/ Where is the most value for your dollar JD or Kub #1  

Anonymous Poster

It seems to me John Deere are overpriced compared to Kubota,my reason for thinking this.(I am talking compact tractors).
I have a big John Deere Dealer that sells tractors and JD dozers. Down the road is a Kubota dealership that has probably 20 new Kubotas out front.
Well last summer I was at my JD dealer and he had an Avenger tractor he wanted me to look at,he had ordered 1 to see if he could stir any intrest.I said why do you want to sell these? He told me most most people went to the Kubota dealership,they shopped for price and not name.
Now that makes me wonder is the Kubota dealership able to get the tractor equivalent of the John Deere from the factory cheaper than the John Dealer dealership can from the John Deere factory,if so why?I am assuming the Kubota is cheaper priced from the factory,if not why couldn't my dealership lower the price on the John Deere instead of having to bring in a cheaper priced tractor and sell it to try and be competitive? If the Kubota is as good as the John Deere how come the consumer can get the Kubota cheaper than the John Deere?
Buy the way the Avenger tractor did not sell,he only had the one and I have not seen anymore,its a shame since it was a nice looking tractor.
Like I said the dealer told me that a lot of people shopped for the cheaper price not name,well that cannot be completely true because Kubota has a good name and a good price in my neck of the woods.
If you were a dealer what would you do in a situation like this?

/ Where is the most value for your dollar JD or Kub
I said Avenger tractor,it may have been a Millenium (it was Korean)

/ Where is the most value for your dollar JD or Kub #3  
Farm Boy,

Sounds like the JD dealer primarily sells larger pieces of equipment and has not tried to "sell" CUTs (compact utility tractors). What I have been lead to understand is that the price of a particular piece of equipment is dependent upon the volume of sales by the dealer. So, if a dealer sells a lot of CUTs, he will get a larger discount on what he pays for each unit. This savings can then be passed along to the consumer. Looks like your local JD dealer would rather sell to the consumer of construction and larger farm equipment.

In my area, JD, Kubota, and NH tractors of equal size and capability sold for nearly the same price within a few hundred dollars. So, the purchase decision is made by the comfort level with the dealer. When you're spending $15k, a few hundred dollars is not much of a difference.

Terry

/ Where is the most value for your dollar JD or Kub #4  
I definitely think that the area and dealers have alot to do with it. Like Terry said and it's the same thing here, JD doesn't go for anymore than a comparable kubota. But we've got a JD dealer on every block and the nearest kubota dealer to me now is 40 miles away as the one down the road went out of business. When I was buying mine I was actually going to buy a kubota but the deere was cheaper. I couldn't get the kubota dealer to move one bit on his price. JD dealer did all he could to make the deal.

/ Where is the most value for your dollar JD or Kub #5  
Gotta go with the doc on this one, it seems that the dealers have enough profit margin on any of these tractors to make one cheaper that the other. Just depends on the area I guess. Also resale value seems to vary widely from one area to another for a given brand, so it might be wise to do a little research along these lines too.

/ Where is the most value for your dollar JD or Kub #6  
When I was checking prices I stopped a dealer that carries JD compacts, the complete NH line and the Kubota compacts. There was a small Kubota there that looked like it was used. It had been sitting so long the paint had faded and rust had set in. The dealer was absolutely not going to deal on that tractor even though it had been superceeded by a newer model years before.

I got a quote on an L3710 and then went to a smaller dealer that only handled Kubotas. Both would have had to order the tractor. The smaller dealer had the best price. I think it depends on the dealer and their situation. Some of the dealers I know that have high profile locations get some sort of consideration from JD. They may get a better interest rate if they're on JD's floor plan.

The other difference between JD and Kubota is the economic issues. Since the dollar is so strong and the Japanese economy is in the basement, it may be cheaper to import Kubotas than build JDs.

/ Where is the most value for your dollar JD or Kub #7  
in this area i could not get the jd. dealer to move on price. he was about $1500 above kub.+ he wante more for r4"s and mid pto was an option.

/ Where is the most value for your dollar JD or Kub #8  
Farmboy,

<font color=orange>Down the road is a Kubota dealership that has probably 20 new Kubotas out front.</font color=orange>

This is an awful lot of inventory to have sitting out front, especially if they're not spoken for. If they're lower in price than John Deere, they should be rolling off the lot like tollhouse cookies.

Eighteen months ago I attended an auction. There was a Kubota (forgot the model # but it was comparable in size to the John Deere 4700) with FEL, no other attachments. It was in real good shape with 325 hours on it. It sold for $25.5K, about the same price that I was being quoted for a new JD 4700. I priced out new Kubotas at same time I was pricing out JD 4700s. There was no substantial variations in prices. Prices were equivalent. Kubotas are good machines and command a good retail price. Same can be said about John Deere. To help you in your decision, look beyond the price at other attributes of both manufacturers and decide which machine can best meet your needs and desires.

Regards,
Bob Ancar
Cambridge, NY

/ Where is the most value for your dollar JD or Kub #9  
Darren, what does this mean?

"The other difference between JD and Kubota is the economic issues. Since the dollar is so strong and the Japanese economy is in the basement, it may be cheaper to import Kubotas than build JDs."

I think of the JD's as green Yanmars. The loaders are built in Canada. Very little is manufactured in the US. Most of the tractor is imported from Japan.

Same goes with Kubota except that the loaders are made in Georgia (USA).

Rat...

/ Where is the most value for your dollar JD or Kub #10  
Rat, you beat me to the draw /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif. I wanted to tell him that John Deere is also made in Japan. All of the big three are made there, this pertains to compacts only. When you get to 50 hp and over, then you will find American made tractors. but nooo, you had to tell him first/w3tcompact/icons/mad.gif. Just fun'nin with you, You don't have to be insane but it sure helps /w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif.