Used Comercial vs New Small Farm Tractor

/ Used Comercial vs New Small Farm Tractor #11  
Crossroads said:
Thanks. Maybe I misspoke, I used the term commercial becuase those units I have seen used for constrcution, and rental centers.

I just spoke with a Mahindra dealer. He was quotoing about $23 K for a 3215 zero financing 4WD 3 yr warranty. So maybe I should rephrase.

I'm looking for the strongest most reliable tractor either 2 or 4wd, gas or diesel new with a good financing rate for $20K or hopefully less.

Thanks again.

Most reliable - anything Kubota or Deere.

Sure there are other brands that are "just as good as", but K and D are the standard others are rated against. While some disagree, the HST's are IMHO more reliable than the straight gear transmissions. Either way, it's like splitting hairs. All transmission parts are plenty stout these days and you should not have any issues. (if you go off of the K or JD, that won't hold quite as true....)

I would also strongly suggest you follow Eddie Walkers advice. He has popped a stump or two and has experience that can be counted on.

jb

/ Used Comercial vs New Small Farm Tractor
Thanks for all the suggestions, I really appreciate it. The consensus seems to be don't base the machine on stumping big trees or carrying big rocks. In addition to maintaining my driveway, drainage ditches, and landscaping, that's what there is to do, so trying to find the most multifunctional machine is my goal.

Roots up here don't tend to grow deep, they run more horizontal just under the surface. I have stumped big trees with this Allmand although it's taken an hour or more. I'm just not a big fan of hiring anyone to do anything I can do myself. That said, I can always rent a stump grinder.

I'm going down to a dealer today to look at some Mahindras, bucket is speced at lifting 1400 lbs. The reviews seem pretty decent except for sluggish hydraulics on the bucket and zero percent & 3 year warranty is hard to beat.

I'll let you know how I make out. It will be nice to have a tractor on-site. When I rent, all week get's spent working because you're paying for the rental. I've started to hate the site of a backhoe because it meant working all week. It would be nice to have a machine where you can work a couple of hours here and there, instead of ruining your vacation digging all week.

Thanks Again

/ Used Comercial vs New Small Farm Tractor #13  
Where is West Brookville, NY? I live in Alexander, NY and my 1st address in Alexander was on Brookville Rd. The house down the road used to have a sign on the house which said The Site of the Original Brookville Post Office. And so I understand it used to be a pony express station. Thus I always concluded there used to be a little town of Brookville there and it had been over taken by the town of Alexander, NY. I just found that interesting that somewhere else there is a Brookville, NY.
a

/ Used Comercial vs New Small Farm Tractor
Westbrokville, N.Y. is 5 miles south of where 209 meets 17, about 15 minutes west of Middletown NY. I was in Buffalo for 3 years including the blizzard of 78. sure coulda used a FEL that winter. We used to go to a bar in Batavia, where we went to see Tallis with Billy Sheenan before he got big. Incredible shows in a small bar
I went down to look at tractors today,three different dealers, four different brands. I think I am going to go with the Mahindra 3215 TLB. Big ups to Rick at Marshall for offering a good deal. Thanks to all for your suggestions.

Oh yeah and, there's also Brookville and Old Brookville both on Long Isaland where i used to live.

Kevin

/ Used Comercial vs New Small Farm Tractor #15  
I wish I could get more calls to pop-out 24" stumps with my CASE 580. It digs them out effortlessly.

Problem is, there's too many guys out spending 30K on shiny new small machines to do it themselves instead of hiring me for a few grand! :D

I've done 2 "stump jobs" in the past year. One job had some 36-48" stumps and some smaller ones. No big deal.

Makes nice extra side money for me and it's usually 8 or more hours in an air conditioned, comfortable cab. :)