Used Comercial vs New Small Farm Tractor

/ Used Comercial vs New Small Farm Tractor #1  

Crossroads

I am looking to buy my first TLB. I have rented TLBs before and my favorite was an ALLmand Bros TLB25D. I cannot afford a new commercial class but used Allmands or Teramites run bewteen $8-$13 K with anywhere from 400 to 1500 hrs. I would have to finance either of these two at 4.9 %.

Massey Fuergusson & Kubota are offering zero percent 60 months but again I could only afford a sub compact like a 2300 or BX-24. They would run about $16K

The Allmand or Teramite can lift about 1700 lbs at the bucket vs 600 for the small farm tractors. Breakout force is about 3 times greater on the commercail as well.

The tractor will be used for ditching and maintaining a driveway, landascaping unloading firewood, which either can do, although I live on a very rocky hill with high mineral soil.

I have a lot of stumps 24 " or greater to dig and a lot of rocks to move.

So the quandry

1) Buy the more powerfull tractor from a rental center used, with no warrranty, finance it myself, and hope no problems.

2)Buy the MF or Kubota new with 2 year warranty and zero percent financing, peace of mind, but may have problems with bigger stumps and rocks.

3)Prefer liquid cooled diesel vs air cooled gas because I have found diesels can be run at a lower rpm while working vs gas but not used one in the winter yet.

Any suggestion appreciated.

/ Used Comercial vs New Small Farm Tractor #2  
You do pose a good question for your first post (welcome aboard, by the way).

WHen I think "commercial TLB", my mind goes to a Case 580 or a Ford 555, a bit different class.

Have you posted on the "construction" forum here? I'd want to know about the reliability of the Allmand and teramites. Also try posting on sites that use a lot of them. Landscape contractors etc.

To my mind, all the units you listed are a bit small for a steady diet of 24" stumps and larger rocks. Determination and lots of time can (maybe) git 'er done, but ... a larger unit could scoop with so much more authority!

jb

/ Used Comercial vs New Small Farm Tractor
Thanks. Maybe I misspoke, I used the term commercial becuase those units I have seen used for constrcution, and rental centers.

I just spoke with a Mahindra dealer. He was quotoing about $23 K for a 3215 zero financing 4WD 3 yr warranty. So maybe I should rephrase.

I'm looking for the strongest most reliable tractor either 2 or 4wd, gas or diesel new with a good financing rate for $20K or hopefully less.

Thanks again.

/ Used Comercial vs New Small Farm Tractor #4  
A 24 inch stump is a pretty big undertaking with a full sized backhoe. Have you tried to take out that size of stump with the Terrimite? I don't have any experience on that sized machine, so I'm sure it's possible, but I also know that I've battled with stumps of that size with my 555E loader backhoe, which has 80 hp.

Have you considered buying a compact tractor without the backhoe and using the saved money to rent something big enough to take out those stumps allot quicker and easier? Probably a 100 hp excavator would do it. Or hire it out to sombody with a large excavator that can pluck them out in just a few seconds. Get the right sized machine in there and he can do all of them in a day. (How many are there?)

One more reason to consider renting or hiring it out is wear and tear on your machine. Stumps are a pain to get out. There is allot of forcing going on that's not all that good on your backhoe. Sometimes they even break, especially with small equipment.

Good luck,
Eddie

/ Used Comercial vs New Small Farm Tractor #5  
I would approach differently.

I would go used on a slightly larger tractor.

That Terramite and Allmand spec of 1700 lbs I find a bit tough to swallow, at least on the ones I have used. I cannot see myself buying one. Frustrated is usually the word that comes to mind when I have to rent one because of time or size constraints.

Over all, I think you would find a 24 - 35 tractor much more usefull. I would think you could find a clean used loader equipped tractor 4wd for around 15K

/ Used Comercial vs New Small Farm Tractor #6  
Which Terramite are you talking about? The T-9 I rented had a 32hp Kubota turbo diesel in it, the smaller two models have air cooled gas engines if I remember right. Loader seemed to have good power, the BH seemed so-so, the unit seemed to have trouble climbing a mild grade empty. Although I was asking the HST for full speed ahead at full throttle. The T-9 seemed to be a better bulldozer than my CK30 is.

/ Used Comercial vs New Small Farm Tractor #7  
Don't waste your time trying to take out many 24" stumps with any of the machines you have mentioned, hire it done as it will be a lot cheaper in the end.

/ Used Comercial vs New Small Farm Tractor #8  
I think "where you live, or at least where the stumps are" is going to be the real answer to your questions. Around here, just about anything will take out a stump, some faster than others, but where there are rocks, there goes the time. You did mention rocks and high mineral content soil, so I have to assume your "not from around here". (Side note: My Dad is still "not from around here" and he has lived in the same place since 1967. Some folks never forget outsiders moving in, lol)
BTTOQ.
I would go with a bigger used tractor with loader and rent a backhoe or trackhoe with the money you save not buying a backhoe, unless you have already determined that the backhoe is going to be needed maintaining the ditch on the roadway.
David from jax

/ Used Comercial vs New Small Farm Tractor #9  
Crossroads said:
I am looking to buy my first TLB. I have rented TLBs before and my favorite was an ALLmand Bros TLB25D. I cannot afford a new commercial class but used Allmands or Teramites run bewteen $8-$13 K with anywhere from 400 to 1500 hrs. I would have to finance either of these two at 4.9 %.

Massey Fuergusson & Kubota are offering zero percent 60 months but again I could only afford a sub compact like a 2300 or BX-24. They would run about $16K

The Allmand or Teramite can lift about 1700 lbs at the bucket vs 600 for the small farm tractors. Breakout force is about 3 times greater on the commercail as well.

The tractor will be used for ditching and maintaining a driveway, landascaping unloading firewood, which either can do, although I live on a very rocky hill with high mineral soil.

I have a lot of stumps 24 " or greater to dig and a lot of rocks to move.

So the quandry

1) Buy the more powerfull tractor from a rental center used, with no warrranty, finance it myself, and hope no problems.

2)Buy the MF or Kubota new with 2 year warranty and zero percent financing, peace of mind, but may have problems with bigger stumps and rocks.

3)Prefer liquid cooled diesel vs air cooled gas because I have found diesels can be run at a lower rpm while working vs gas but not used one in the winter yet.

Any suggestion appreciated.

IMHO, sizing your TLB for removing large stumps, even "a lot" of them, is a mistake. Unless you intend to get into the tree removal business, rent a stump grinder and get rid of those 24 inchers on your place once and for all. Spend your $$$ on a right-sized tractor for your other needs and on right-sized 3pt implements. Forget about digging out large stumps with a backhoe.

/ Used Comercial vs New Small Farm Tractor #10  
Crossroads said:
*I have a lot of stumps 24 " or greater to dig and a lot of rocks to move.
*Hire this out.
1*I would be leary of buying from a rental place; This stuff gets rented out to every Tom Dick and Harry many of whom have little or no experience operating such equipment.
This stuff in many cases gets rode hard and put away wet and is abused.
2* better idea an like I said hire it done for the rocks/stumps.
3*fuel savings and more power is the biggie favoring diesels.
Winter is no problem for toady's modern diesel engines.

O percent is hard to beat.
In most case new at zero percent & used with a finance charge will be about the same monthly payment and total loan pay back.

There is no way I'd want to trade my BX 24 for a new Allmand or Teramite let alone a used Allmand or Teramite rental wreck.