Help choosing a tractor for land management

/ Help choosing a tractor for land management #11  
Farmwithjunk said:
Using a tractor in a commercial/industrial application is a different world than what the typical acreage owner encounters. You're usually operating on a demanding schedule, often in less than ideal conditions, and accumulating far more hours of use than "normal" tractor owners even dream of. There's issues involved with this sort of use. (I own a business where we mow large acreage on a commercial basis, accumulating 1200 to 1400 hrs per tractor per season)

You need a DEPENDABLE parts source to provide back-up.

You want a heavy duty machine.

To a degree, the more "bells & whistles", the more complicated life can get. Simple is simply the best.

After shopping for several month's, I recently purchased two 80+ hp tractors and mowers. (and am currently shopping for 2 more) I found Deere, New Holland, AGCO (MF), and Kubota to have a more than adaquate "commercial" equipment line-up. They offer options and/or aftermarket accessories to custom fit a tractor to your needs as well as the requirements of your insurance underwriter. (ie saftey equipment) Also, don't overlook the Caterpillar Challenger line up. In the commercial/industrial world, CAT takes a back seat to NO ONE for warranty, parts and service. Their pricing is also very competitive.

I'd suggest a full sized utility tractor rather than a compact for your needs. After reviewing what's on the market right now, and considering the pricing, I'd look at EITHER the Deere 5XX3 series OR the Massey Ferguson 500 series. Good, rugged tractors with VERY competitive prices.

I'm demoing a flail mower now. (Alamo "Interstater") It has some distinct advantages, one ISN'T economy of operation from a maintenance standpoint when used in abusive conditions. When you're plowing into tough mowing conditions, it's hard to beat a good extreme heavy duty Bush Hog rotary cutter in my book.

my answer would be almost exactly what FWJ just said. the only thing i am not 100% sure of is that CAT still makes the Challenger line. i believe they either outsourced it, or completely sold it to someone else but i can't recall who. i'm sure someone can fill me in on the details or patchup the missing facts.

/ Help choosing a tractor for land management #12  
RollingsFarms said:
my answer would be almost exactly what FWJ just said. the only thing i am not 100% sure of is that CAT still makes the Challenger line. i believe they either outsourced it, or completely sold it to someone else but i can't recall who. i'm sure someone can fill me in on the details or patchup the missing facts.

CAT doesn't actually BUILD the Challenger line, but they do stand behind them. The tractors are built by AGCO. They're essentially Massey Fergusons. CAT bought Perkins (diesel engines) from Massey Ferguson then contracted MF to build the Challenger tractors

/ Help choosing a tractor for land management #14  
I agree with FWJ in the fact that you need a simple ag utility tractor. That is why I had recomended you check out the Mahindra, but you will want closer service than the Mahindra dealers you mentioned. The Deere 5xx3, Massey 500, and New Holland now has a simple Ag utility series. These would all be good choices. Good luck shopping!

/ Help choosing a tractor for land management #16  
Farmwithjunk said:
CAT doesn't actually BUILD the Challenger line, but they do stand behind them. The tractors are built by AGCO. They're essentially Massey Fergusons. CAT bought Perkins (diesel engines) from Massey Ferguson then contracted MF to build the Challenger tractors

back in the 90's CAT built some track tractors ranging between 350-500hp, i don't recall anything else they built for the ag industry(anyone know of anything else?). i think they then outsoruced the line to AGCO. now that you mention it, AGCO does make the Challenger's(i was thinking that in my head but wasn't 100% sure so i didn't mention it). what i found interesting was that they're essentially MF tractors. i had no idea of that, i was always thinking it was someone else. as far as i know, any CAT dealer will have parts and service for any Challenger, and i wouldn't see why a MF dealer wouldn't as well.

/ Help choosing a tractor for land management #17  
Farmwjunk's advice is really quite good. One point - if there will be a lot of different operators, especially if they are going to be of variable skill levels, the HST transmission will be both easier to operate and more robust. No clutch to burn up, easy to operate in tight quarters like a forest and much less fear of accidentally running over things because they forgot to use the clutch. Not quite as "simple" in some views but the most simple to operate!

If you will be maintaining or creating walking paths in the forest, you really don't want to get much (if any) larger than a 6' cutter or a 35-40hp machine. The resulting paths can be pretty wide pretty fast.

/ Help choosing a tractor for land management
john_bud said:
Farmwjunk's advice is really quite good. One point - if there will be a lot of different operators, especially if they are going to be of variable skill levels, the HST transmission will be both easier to operate and more robust. No clutch to burn up, easy to operate in tight quarters like a forest and much less fear of accidentally running over things because they forgot to use the clutch. Not quite as "simple" in some views but the most simple to operate!

If you will be maintaining or creating walking paths in the forest, you really don't want to get much (if any) larger than a 6' cutter or a 35-40hp machine. The resulting paths can be pretty wide pretty fast.

Thanks. I think I need to get out and sit on a couple machines to compare the size of the CUT to the larger utility tractors. I agree I want a smaller width deck; not cutting lawns, don't need wider than the tractor, but need the maneuverability more...

While I hope I'm the one using the tractor most of the time, I am the supervisor, and thus won't always get to play with the toys.

The forest here on the cape is fairly dense, but the size of the trees is not that large compared to say central Massachusetts. We have volunteers who can help blaze trails; usually the biggest tool needed is the chainsaw.

Budget is pretty limited, but I can spread the implements out over two years if needed. I think I need the tractor and a deck to start, with a FEL/grapple to follow, then eventually my own trailer.

/ Help choosing a tractor for land management
We ended up with a modified budget as other needs surfaced. Purchased a Kubota 3240 with HST, FEL and rear mounted mowing deck. Just delivered; probably won't have time to do much with it for a week. Many deciding factors; we have larger loaders etc. with the town DPW, and most of the larger properties are served by fire roads etc. that the bigger machine can get through. May pick up a PTO powered chipper at some point as well.