Buying a new tractor

/ Buying a new tractor #1  

nogin007

This is my first post. I've been reading comparisons on here for a couple of weeks, and there seems to be some knowledgable members here. Maybe you can help me make my decision.
I only have about 6 acres. Presently I'm using a MF 135 to bushhog and make a small garden. Since I retired, I've decided that I want to clear out some of the woods, and level the ground. I decided that I want a tractor with a FEL. My old tractor doesn't have power steering, so I won't even try to add one. From reading, and looking, I decided I needed a 30-35 HP tractor, with FEL. I've looked at a MF 1528(one year old), JD 790 and 3203, NH TC30, and Kioti CK35. I had settled on the Kioti, since it has the free loader offer. It was priced to me at $13,991.00. Then I stopped again at a kubota dealer, and was given a price of $16,500 for a 2 wheel drive MX5100. It's really more tractor than I need, but it sure seems nice.
All the smaller tractors I looked at are FWD. The Kubota is 2 wheel drive. I've never used a FEL before. Will it work okay with the 2 wheel drive? Should I just get the Kioti, since I really don't need anything bigger? Are the prices I gave good prices? Thanks in advance.
Sorry for the long post. Everybody have a great day.

/ Buying a new tractor #2  
Loaders work fine with 2WD however that shouldn't be your decision factor. When I bought my JD I looked at several factors. I looked at what I wanted to accomplish within the next 5+ years and what I was going to need on a daily/weekly basis. For me it was primarily mowing with some FEL/Blade work. Spreading some pasture seed and light cultivation. Then I looked at who was in my area and how the dealer treated me for the first time. I then sat in the seat of as many as possible to get a feel for the tractor. Don't get me wrong price had a major influence on my purchase also. Also look at what type of ground you will be operating on. The one thing I learned early on is buying a tractor is *NOT* like buying a truck/car as tractors really don't lose value like a car does. I've seen 20year old tractors going for just a few thousand less than a new one. And last if you purchase a tractor a bit larger than your needs (not much larger) then you will have the capablilities to tackle that unexpected job.

Good luck on your hunt.

/ Buying a new tractor #3  
nogin007 said:
This is my first post. I've been reading comparisons on here for a couple of weeks, and there seems to be some knowledgable members here. Maybe you can help me make my decision.
I only have about 6 acres. Presently I'm using a MF 135 to bushhog and make a small garden. Since I retired, I've decided that I want to clear out some of the woods, and level the ground. I decided that I want a tractor with a FEL. My old tractor doesn't have power steering, so I won't even try to add one. From reading, and looking, I decided I needed a 30-35 HP tractor, with FEL. I've looked at a MF 1528(one year old), JD 790 and 3203, NH TC30, and Kioti CK35. I had settled on the Kioti, since it has the free loader offer. It was priced to me at $13,991.00. Then I stopped again at a kubota dealer, and was given a price of $16,500 for a 2 wheel drive MX5100. It's really more tractor than I need, but it sure seems nice.
All the smaller tractors I looked at are FWD. The Kubota is 2 wheel drive. I've never used a FEL before. Will it work okay with the 2 wheel drive? Should I just get the Kioti, since I really don't need anything bigger? Are the prices I gave good prices? Thanks in advance.

FEL: 2WD vs FWD. I've had tractors with each type--- A 2005 Kubota B7510HST (21 hp engine, 17 hp pto, FWD) with the LA302 FEL (4-ft bucket) and a 2008 Mahindra 5525 (55 hp engine, 45 hp pto, 2WD) and the ML 250 FEL (6-ft bucket). Both worked fine for me. Takes a little practice to become proficient with the FEL no matter which tranny you have.

One point: if you decide on FWD be careful scooping material that's lying on a concrete surface when you're in FWD. If the front wheels can't slip after you jam the bucket into the pile, you could damage your drive train. Better to use 2WD setting in this case.

I assume those prices are with FEL. If so, they seem pretty good to me.

BTW: I have a 1964 MF-135 diesel. Bought it in 2006 as a project tractor. They're fun machines.

/ Buying a new tractor #4  
nogin007 said:
I guess it depends where you live,snow,mud climates?I live in michigan and would not be without 4X4(fwd)I have a Fel (KL401)on my 2008 Kioti Dk40se and love it.coobie

/ Buying a new tractor
I live in north Alabama, so there isn't any snow worries. Also there isn't much mud concerns. The land is reasonably flat with a couple of ditches that I want to fill and level. One ditch is a shallow drainage ditch . I just want to relocate away from the house more. I live at the foot of a mountain, so a drainage ditch has to remain for runoff. Also, the prices I gave was with the FEL. Thanks for the replies.

/ Buying a new tractor #6  
If looking at Massey Ferguson, you might want to look at the 1533 or bigger. The frame of the 1533 is larger than a 1528. I also think that the 1533 is more comparable to the JD 790. A MF 1540 is the same as the 1533, just turbo-charged. I would suggest deciding on the HP and weight first, then look for the tractor you want. Don't try to compare tractors that are different HP/weight, pick a size then search. Have fun, and if looking for used be patient and get what you really want that is in good working order.

/ Buying a new tractor #7  
For loader work I'd stick with the four wheel drive and HST.:D :D :D

/ Buying a new tractor #8  
When buying a new tractor, check out the dealer. Do they have good service? Fast service? do they offer loaners?
A good dealer can make a big difference when you have problems. Good luck in your search.

/ Buying a new tractor #9  
nogin007:

Welcome to TBN :D! IMHO I agree with Egon and northwoodpower. Try as many tractors and dealerships as you can and go with the best "feel". A good dealership will save you money in the long run. Tell us more about yourself and keep us posted. Jay :)

/ Buying a new tractor
I've revisited the dealers I went to before, plus a few more. There are 4 Kubota, 3 JD, 2 NH, 1 MF, 1 Kioti, 1 McCormick, 1 Case, dealers within 40 miles of my home. About all of the smaller tractors I sat on seemed cramped, except the MF. I also sat on a MF 1250(used), and it seemed roomier than the others. I tried a used Kubota MX 5000, and L 3130. These were larger framed tractors, and were more comfortable to operate The MX5000( 2006 model), had 423 hours, and was $14,000.00. The L3130( 2003 model), had 640 hours, and was $12,500.00. It seems the more I look, the more I add to my list. All the dealers were helpful, and didn't run down their competition. The dealer that has the used MX5000 seemed to be about the best. He answered all my questions, even about other brands than the ones he carried.
I like the comfort of the larger tractor. I guess I'll have to rethink what I want. I still think about 35 HP is all I need. I'm retired, so I don't have to get any of this done quickly. Thanks for all the suggestions. Everyone have a great day.