Am I missing something?

/ Am I missing something? #1  

Anonymous Poster

Am I missing something? I've been looking at getting a compact tractor for sometime now. I've been back and forth between JD and Kubota. I was at the JD dealer the other day looking at the 4400 which is the mid frame size tractor. I then went to the Kubota dealer and looked at the L3410, L3710 and so no. I then checked out the spec sheets on all the tractors that I looked at. It seems to me that the Kubota L37xx - L46xx are all the same size and compare in size the the mid size JD tractors, the comparison does not include the loaders. The Kubota is a bit wider but is with in about an inch in all other respects.

I've got a little over 5 ac that are in real need of landscaping, everything from brush cutting to grading and stump removal. I was considering the JD 4400 because of it's size, however, when I noticed the size comparison, it would seem to me that getting the largest HP in a given frame size it a good idea. After all, you can not add HP after you buy the tractor. After the rebates that Kubota is offering I can get a L4610 for about what a JD 4400 would cost me here in Western Washington State. So what am I missing here?????

Thanks for you input.

Troy

/ Am I missing something? #2  
Maybe you aren't missing anything..... /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Am I missing something? #3  
Troy,
You aren’t missing a thing in my book. If you know the size you want and the extra cost of the horsepower isn’t to much for you, then I would go for as much HP and hydraulics as I could get in that size. Like you said, you can’t add it later.

MarkV

/ Am I missing something? #4  
You probably will want to put together a list of the implements that you will want to use before you make a decision on which tractor to buy. You mentioned landscaping. If you want to use a mid mount mower, a front snowblower, or a front broom you should be aware that some of the larger Kubotas, (4310 and 4610) are not available with a mid PTO. If you plan on getting a FEL, (highly recommended) or a backhoe, (I'll never be without one again) you will want to look at the specifications and ease of attachment for those as well. In my opinion, JD has the best mounting systems for its attachments, especially the backhoe. Once you find a tractor, or group of tractors, that will do the jobs you want to do, then it all comes down to which tractor you are most comfortable with. A good dealer is also a big plus. Hope this helps.

/ Am I missing something? #5  
MJB hit the issues that I was considering when I got an L3710. I wanted the largest Kubota that could still take a MMM which required a mid pto for a factory mower. Since I use the tractor for trenching, the other limitation is that the trenchers that I speced limit input to 30 hp.

Would an additional 9 hp destroy a trencher? Probably not, but when you're pulling up football sized rocks and in some cases running into rock ledges a few inches underground, I didn't want to chance it. Something that I would have liked is the L4610's 2 gpm additional hydraulic flow.

Bigger isn't always better. I agree with MJB, that before buying a tractor you need to consider what you'll be using the tractor for and investigate the implement requirements. That will tell you which tractor to buy.

/ Am I missing something?
I did do my best to determine what type of work I would be doing with the tractor and what implements I would likley need, which is why I was looking at the JD 4400. When I started digging into the specs, it started to look like the Kubota was a better way to go. One of my major concerns what the overall size of the tractor. It looks to me like the JD4400 and the Kubota L4610 are virutally the same size. The Kubota is about an inch wider and not as tall the the JD but that could be an advantage give the fact that my land is pretty hilly (lower center of gravity). Given the fact that the two tractors cost about the same and are about the same size. If I go with the Kubota, I get almost 50% more HP and a loader that can lift over ~2300lbs as opposed to ~1300lbs it seems like the Kubota is a clear winner. That beeing said, what justifies the JD price of a smaller tractor? Is there something that I'm missing in my information that would level the playing field?

Troy

/ Am I missing something? #7  
I think what it all boils down to is that the tractor/dealer combination has to be a "fit" with your personality and needs. When I was in the market for a new tractor I actually preferred the JD 4300 for a couple of solid reasons, but the dealer wasn't a match. So I drive a Kubota L3010 and have been overall delighted with it.

You're looking for objectivity in what, for most of us, is a decision at least tinged (in a big way, maybe) with subjectivity. I think the L4610 is the ultimate tractor for my needs, but that choice is the product of my biases. Go find your own biases. /w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif

Pete

/ Am I missing something? #8  
I think a better comparison would be:

Kubota L4610 and JD4700.

/ Am I missing something? #9  
Troy,I only have 47 hours on our L-4610,but I can tell you that is one "Sweet" tractor.For its size and power I'm still amazed at how agile and how smooth this tractor handles.I don't have the LA852 FEL,but from the specs and the design,I would think it's a clear winner.I have owned three different Kubota FEL's and have had nothing but best results with all of them.As far as a MMM on the bigger L-Series,I pull a 15' Finish Mower with our 4610.The tractor handles that mower like a dream.