Pricing - new vs. slightly used

/ Pricing - new vs. slightly used #1  

Matyac

Tractor
Kubota L3010 HST with R4 tires
I've been looking at the Kubota B-2910. The four dealers in my area (Sacramento, CA) are quoting about the same price for a B-2910HST/LA-402 fel/remote hydraulic top/tilt - about $17800 including rebate.

Today I ran accross a very slightly used model (9 hours) of the exact same configuration. The guy is asking $18500. I told him that I would make him an offer.

It seems to me that a reasonable offer should start at what I would pay new, with a few hundred dollars knocked off because it's not coming straight out of the dealer. So, $17800 new minus, let's say $800, for an offer of $17000?

What do you think, guys? Am I asking too much or show I go even lower.

Thanks.

-Scott

/ Pricing - new vs. slightly used #2  
Do you have to pay tax on the dealer models? Is the tax included in the prices you mentioned? You don't have to pay tax on the used tractor if bought from an individual...

Is the used tractor from a dealer? If not, I'd say I would want a larger discount because you can't really hold a individual responsible...

Just a couple of thoughts...

/ Pricing - new vs. slightly used #3  
Not sure about the little tractors,but in Ag tractors a used one is usually discounted around 15% or so from new price. That is what makes a low hour tractor such a bad deal for the seller.

/ Pricing - new vs. slightly used #4  
When was the tractor purchased by him? That starts the warrenty dating regardless of the number of hours of use. How much do you value the warrenty?
He may have paid more than your current quotes and doesn't know the pricing is more aggrressive now. Are you purchasing any attachments? You should be able to get a better deal (new ones) w/ a tractor purchase from a dealer than if bought alone. I agree with the 15% less than dealer price as an initial offer. If he doesn't budge go with the dealer with whom you feel more comfortable. I like to talk the parts and service managers since I'll be interacting with them (rather than a salesman/owner) in the future.

/ Pricing - new vs. slightly used #5  
If you have to finance, you will get considerably lower rates on the new tractor than you can on the used one. Even with the used one $1000 lower than new, I would still buy new for the warranty and dealer support.

/ Pricing - new vs. slightly used #6  
Buy new. The only thing that makes a used tractor look appealling to me is low price. If it is selling for only a few hundred cheaper than new it wouldn't be worth it to me. Is the guy in some kind of a bind or does he just not really need the tractor? If I knew the person and it would help them out I may consider it then but, it should still be alot lower priced than a new tractor.
BTI

/ Pricing - new vs. slightly used #7  
When I bought my first tractor (30hp White) it was 3 years old with low hours. I paid $10,000 for it including FEL and rear blade. Used it in the construction of home and property and sold it 2 years later for $10,000. If the unit is in good shape, was taken care of and it fits your needs, go for it.
PJ

/ Pricing - new vs. slightly used #8  
Not sure about Kubota but with New Holland tractors the new owner can pay a 50.00 transfer fee and the remainder of the warranty is transfered to the new owner if tractor is still under warranty

/ Pricing - new vs. slightly used #9  
I would buy the new one. The difference in price (even with the taxes) isn't that much.

I bought a one year old Cub Cadet 7360 with 90 hours on it. But I paid 30% below the dealer opening price for a new one. I never bothered to bargin with the dealer because he wouldn't even come close. That was 18 months ago and I don't regret the decision.... it's a great tractor.

Also keep in mind that prices for used tractor vary across the country. I bought mine in the south, where resale prices are lower. Then I paid a grand to ship it to New Hampshire.

/ Pricing - new vs. slightly used #10  
Spencer200, do you know what the warranty for a 2000 NH 1920 purchased in Oct. 2000 would be? How do you go about the warranty transfer on a private party sale? Thanks for any info.

Bill C