Tractor Sizing What is the right size for 50 acres?

/ What is the right size for 50 acres? #21  
Most round balers need power in the 50hp PTO range, there are some small 4x4 balers that will work with 35 or so I believe. If you REALLY plan on doing the hay yourself, that'll set your lower boundry for power.

BTW, with hay priced the way it is, may want to reconsider letting your neighbor do your hay on halves. In my area i just got my hay cut/raked/baled for $17/4x5 bale. I expect to pretty easily sell my hay for more than $34/bale.

/ What is the right size for 50 acres? #22  
I own 55 acres and I have a MF 240, and it has done a good job for me. I have used disc plow, bushhog, finish mower, landscape rake, and box blade on the property. It has done a very good job for me and did not let me down at all. Mind you, I had to use it to clean up lands after loggers left behind a big mess so really it was a job to clean up. Now I am looking for a backhoe to pull out stumps and then dig up a pond and re-use the clay for dirt drag racing track. I'm looking at MF 40 backhoe and feels it will do the job for me as long as I am taking my time one stump at time without rushing it and will use my MF 240 tractor to pull the stump out after digging the dirt out around the stump so it will be loose. I can not afford excavator or late model backhoe strong enough to do the job by itself, but bottom line is that with right tool and good knowledge of how to get job done without putting too much stress on your machine will get the job done way you want it done.

90HP tractor is way too much for the job you mentioned. 50hp is good but I think a little more than what you want to pay unless you got the money. But if you are like me wanting to be a penny-pincher then go for used 35-40HP tractor and it will get the job done. Remember, you need to know and understand what you are doing before you can do the job. My uncle is in farming and my other uncle is in land-clearing business so I have worked for them both during summertime when I was in middle/high school and neither job needed a license. I use my knowledge to clean up my 55 acres of land with what I have.

When I got my MF 240, I paid my uncle $3,000 when it should be $5,000 to $7,500. I got bushhog for $150 and cost me only $90 to fix it (grinded blade to sharp and new gear oil). I got finish mower for $150 and cost me $8 to fix it (grinded blade to sharp and grease tube for grease gun). I paid $150 for my box blade and its solid- owner got new 6' and didnt need 5'. I paid $100 for lawn roller and $300 new for landscape rake. It pays to look for a bargain if you can be patient enough and continue to look for it everyday.

Good luck!

/ What is the right size for 50 acres? #23  
If you are buying one tractor, too big or too small can cost you a lot of money. Checking with farmers in your area can save you money, time, and a lot of problems. Get opinoins from those that are working the ground in your area. If buying new, check out the dealer, for service, warranty repair, and if they supply loaners at no cost during repairs.

Good luck!

/ What is the right size for 50 acres? #24  
Mornin' Mikey,
Congrats on the move. I think you'll find the country beats city living by a mile.

I'm voting with the 50HP guys. Sounds like your plans are still a bit hazy and 'someday' may be years off. Something that gives you flexibility and does the work you need done now, without costing a ton to own or operate may be your best bet. A simple, straightforward 50HP utility tractor with a few good options should do it.

A 50HP utility will normally have a Cat I/II 3 point hitch. This will allow you to use either the smaller and lower cost Cat I implements or the heavier duty Cat II. That way, if you find a good deal on either type, you'll have something that (within reason) can handle it. 50HP isn't so strong that it'll trash well made Cat I implements while it is strong enough to handle the smaller Cat II implements you might find useful on 50 acres.

The 50HP ute would let you maintain your property and give you a foot in the door if you go to haying...certainly with small square bales it will. If big round bales turn out to be your choice, a large, used 2WD Ag tractor purchased when these plans firm up would make sense. If you go the biggest you might ever, ever need to begin with; you'll be stuck with a huge inflexible beast that will often just add to your problems.

As for options, a front loader will prove to be incredibly useful. Even if just used for lifting things and moving them around, you'll wonder how you'd ever get along without it. 4WD will make the loader much more effective for true loader work plus give you the ability to get out of trouble (e.g. getting unstuck) when working alone...within reason, of course.

A year or two down the road as your plans firm up, you'll probably identify many ways a 2nd tractor could help you. It may be the big 90HP beast mentioned earlier or, more likely, a 2WD Ag tractor of 30 to 50HP. Changing implements/hooking up & unhooking can waste a lot of time if you have a bunch of small jobs to do. The second tractor can save you a lot of time, aggravation and (if you're getting older) opportunities for mistakes. It would be good if the 2nd tractor could handle the same implements as the 1st.

With the same acreage as you, I've found the Kubota MX5000/5100 to be about the right size and price. Another good choice, if buying new, would be the JD5103/5203. New Holland & Case/IH make good tractors in this size and Mahindras can be a real bargain. Used tractors can be a bit of a crapshoot but, if you know the maintenance/usage history, can also be a good way to save $. As with anything, it's possible to spend more and get really deluxe versions; but setting aside the extra money for implements or a possible 2nd tractor may make more sense in today's economy.
FWIW
Bob