Kubota L4400 HST or Kioti DK45SE HST

/ Kubota L4400 HST or Kioti DK45SE HST #1  

warhammer

Gold Member
Tractor
Kioti DK45SE HST
Trying to make up my mind here. I think I have things narrowed down to these two models. They both look like really nice machines.
I have 38 acres I need to fence on two sides, 1800ft. gravel driveway to maintain, 8-9 acres to brush hog, a bunch of FEL work etc.
Looks like the Kubota is a bit smaller all around then the Kioti and weighs about 500-600 lbs. less. From the specs the Kioti loader can lift a fair amount more than the Kubota's.
The Kubota quotes I am getting are cheaper than the Kioti by $650-2600. There is a Kubota dealer less than 7 miles away. The closest Kioti dealer is almost a 40 mile drive. FWIW the closest Kioti dealer is also the highest quote on the tractor at $2000 over the best Kioti quote(75 miles away).

WarHammer

/ Kubota L4400 HST or Kioti DK45SE HST #2  
To me it seems simple.... More tractor for your money! Even though the dealer is farther it comes down to value. Especially with free delivery up to 100 miles which most offer. My suggestion is this...
Drive both tractors, work deals with all the dealers, see which tractor feels right and pick the dealer that will support you best. I have read about people driving 100's miles to work with a good dealer when they have one around the corner. Good luck, it's a tough decision but you really can't go wrong with either tractor, right?

warhammer said:
Trying to make up my mind here. I think I have things narrowed down to these two models. They both look like really nice machines.
I have 38 acres I need to fence on two sides, 1800ft. gravel driveway to maintain, 8-9 acres to brush hog, a bunch of FEL work etc.
Looks like the Kubota is a bit smaller all around then the Kioti and weighs about 500-600 lbs. less. From the specs the Kioti loader can lift a fair amount more than the Kubota's.
The Kubota quotes I am getting are cheaper than the Kioti by $650-2600. There is a Kubota dealer less than 7 miles away. The closest Kioti dealer is almost a 40 mile drive. FWIW the closest Kioti dealer is also the highest quote on the tractor at $2000 over the best Kioti quote(75 miles away).

WarHammer

/ Kubota L4400 HST or Kioti DK45SE HST #3  
woodyacres said:
I have read about people driving 100's miles to work with a good dealer when they have one around the corner.

I did this. Local guy was unresponsive at best. I eneded up going 100 miles to the next closest Kioti dealer and it was definitley worth it. Dealer support is worth a little extra money in my opinion. What happens if you'r machine goes down and you absolutely need it? You want to wait around for the guy who "might" get around to it? How much is it worth to you to have someone willing to help when things get sticky.

Between the two machines, neither of which I've owned or even driven, I'd say the DK is probably the better machine. All based on numbers though.

Drive 'em and see which you like better. As stated, you probably can't go wrong with either one.

/ Kubota L4400 HST or Kioti DK45SE HST #4  
Don't buy anything without driving the machines first. You'll notice some clear differences between those tractors. Also read into the specs closly. Kioti tends to publish slightly dishonest pivot pins specs, where Kubota uses more conservitive bucket center numbers. Its very ununsual for any tractor to lift more than a Kubota.

/ Kubota L4400 HST or Kioti DK45SE HST #5  
Both are nice machines.

I think that part of the reason that Kubota has their economy L series line - L3400, L4400, is to offer a Kubota product with fewer bells and whistles at a similar price point as a lesser known brand like Kioti or Mahindra.

The L4400 is probably one of the best buys in the Kubota line up.

Either tractor will probably do what you want with it.

The Kioti has some of those nice extras - like a telescopic hitch etc. etc. and is a heftier machine. I *believe* that the pump capacity is higer as are lift capacities. It probably also has the heftiest loader in its class.

In terms of resale value, this will depend on your area but in mine I have found that a Kubota will be much better off wrt. resale value as Kioti is less known. Knowledge of Kioti is growing every day though and the machines are definately solid.

I think that even if the prices were even, they are fair given a brand premium that most better known brands will get. I suspect that you might be able to get better prices than what you are being quoted on the DK45SE though.

I've tried out the DK45SE and it is a beast!. It's a big machine and sure as heck seems very very capable to me.

Go drive them both and get a feel for the dealer as well. Both are easy to maintain so I don't think I would worry about a dealer being 100 miles out.

If I were purchasing, at even prices between those two, I think that I would pick the DK45SE - its a lot of bang for your buck. All other things remaining equal. That said, I think that the Grand L Kubotas, though more expensive than the DK45SE (try the GL4240 or 4740 for example) feel much nicer to me than the DK45SE.

/ Kubota L4400 HST or Kioti DK45SE HST #6  
To be honest, if I were buying a machine in that price range, I'd go straight for a Kubota M5040. Serious tractror for little or no more money than what you'll pay for that Kioti.

I've got an L4400 and love it. Three years of heavy use and it has been flawless. I consider its hydraulic pump specs to be so-so on paper compared to Grand Ls and some other brands, but have not noticed any lack of power that has affected any job that I've done or wanted to do.

When comparing loader specs, make sure your comparing the right numbers and keep in mind that a difference of a couple of hundred pounds really doesn't make a lot of difference.

A heavier machine will give you more traction and that's good. But, if it is much heavier than an L4400 you can easily get above the towing capacity of a lot of full size pickups. If you load the tires, include the loader and an implement you can eaily need a larger truck. So if towing is going to be an issue and you have a 1500 or an F-150, do the math.

That being said, I'm very impressed with the Kiotis. Still though, not sure I'd pay more for a Kioti than a comparable Kubota. They may be worth it, I just think the new guy has to prove his salt before costing more than the guy with the best reputation. Kind of like a Hyundai vs a Honda. Hyundai may make a better car, but they don't sell for the same thing yet.

/ Kubota L4400 HST or Kioti DK45SE HST #7  
I know I have been lookin into the dk45se hst I got quotes from 3 dealets all within 50 mi of me n 2 were just a hair over 25k n one was just under 21k. Big difference not sure why. But im considering pullin the trigger on the kioti this week. They seem like very nice machines for all the standard options. Just my 2cents. I been lookin for a year now very big purchase for me.

/ Kubota L4400 HST or Kioti DK45SE HST #8  
Also read into the specs closly. Kioti tends to publish slightly dishonest pivot pins specs, where Kubota uses more conservitive bucket center numbers. Its very ununsual for any tractor to lift more than a Kubota.
How are specs measured at the pivot pins dishonest? It's a standard that every manufacturer uses to be consistent with others. Posting numbers out at the bucket lip can be dishonest because those numbers will vary depending on bucket design, pin mount location, etc... It's easier to skew those numbers than measured at the pins.

By the way:
Kubota L4400 (LA703A) 1,818 lbs AT THE PIVOT PINS to 102.4"
Kioti DK45SE (KL401) 2,761 lbs AT THE PIVOT PINS to 107.8"
That's a difference of 943 lbs, almost 1/2 a ton! Certainly not a slight difference.

Another big spec I look for is hydraulic pump flow.
Kubota L4400 = 12.5 gallons per minute (total pump and power steering)
Kioti DK45SE = 16.8 gallons per minute (total pump and power steering)
Once again, it's not just a little better but a lot!
Kioti also has a longer warranty that covers much more than the Kubota too.

/ Kubota L4400 HST or Kioti DK45SE HST #9  
Driving 75 miles to save $4K is a no brainer. I'd do it everytime, all other things equal. Besides, how often will you need to go there? You can have maintenance parts delivered to your door. Your tractor might never need go if you do your own maintenance.

/ Kubota L4400 HST or Kioti DK45SE HST #10  
After 13 years with a Kubota B7100 I was seriously looking at the L4400 until I researched the Kioti DS4510HS.

In Australia, where we pay more for tractors, Kubota wanted 50% again on the price of the tractor for a FEL and 4 in 1 !

Kioti package (tractor, loader, 4 in 1 and 5ft slasher was altogether $8000 cheaper than the Kubota.

As well, Kioti had better specs and more options included.

Most importantly, the dealer was really keen and helpful and will come to my farm to fix any problems.

Kioti is offering a quality product with very competitive pricing.