197X Massey-Ferguson 40 Backhoe

/ 197X Massey-Ferguson 40 Backhoe #1  

wkheathjr

Bronze Member
Tractor
80's Massey Ferguson 240
Hello,

I went in to look at a MF 40 Backhoe today and it seems to be in okay shape. Although rusted it looks pretty solid but you can't expect good physical appearance for 30+ years old tractor. It started up just fine but it is leaking bad in some area. When the owner tried to move backhoe, it is moving around slooowly and it will not stay up as it slowly lower down toward the ground. The loader move faster and will stay in position until you low it to the ground.

The owner was adding hydraulic fluid when I arrived and said that fluids were very low before cranking it that would need to fix the leaking and brake doesn't work.

For me, I want to buy it! What is the worst scene if closing the leak is not the problem? Possible hydraulic system?? If so, what does it cost to be replaced or fixed? I asked because a hydraulic pump system usually run $1,700-$3,500 for a skid steer but I am not sure about backhoe??

Seller is supposed to call me tonight to see if they will take my SUV as trade-in for the deal or if they want cash for it. I hope it will be a straight trade so let's see what happen.

/ 197X Massey-Ferguson 40 Backhoe #2  
jr.
The only person that I still know that is really sharp on the old industrials is Dean Austin. He has been sick lately and I don't know if he will answer email or not because of that. If he will he could answer anything you want to know about any of those tractors. He is the best that I know on the hydraulic also.
Here is his site. Look it over and give him a shout.
BigDean