Trying to decide on a tractor

/ Trying to decide on a tractor #1  

sunrisefarm

I can't decide what tractor to buy. I have an old 4wd Ford 1510 with a loader, 4' bush hog, post hole digger, 5' york rake. This old tractor has served me well over the years. Its done everything I ever asked of it but its time for a new one. I need a backhoe and also want to plow a 2 acre field. I started my search with a NH T2210 and T2310. Now I'm looking pretty hard at JD 3320 and 4120. Drove all of them and the JD's seem like a more solid machine. One of the things I could use some advise on is the size tractor I need for the backhoe and plow. I know both NH and JD offer backhoes for the smaller machines but I am concerned that the small tractors might get thrown around by the hoe or not be able to pull a plow. I like the manuverability of the small tractors particularly since sometimes I need the tractor to work in the woods. Any advise?

/ Trying to decide on a tractor #2  
sunrisefarm:

Welcome to TBN :D! Have you looked at NH's TC series? Jay :)

/ Trying to decide on a tractor #3  
I have a Montana 3940HST and I am very happy with it. For less money it comes with more options than others I looked at. If you have a dealer in your area you might consider looking at them.

I think your plowing would be your main concern. If you are pulling a two bottom I think a 34-40 HP would be a good fit. That size of machine will give you the ability to run a reasonable size hoe also.

/ Trying to decide on a tractor #4  
Judging by the number of these things still around Ford must have sold a gazillion 8N's. They have 25 (gas) PTO HP vs. JD 3320 25.5 (diesel) PTO.

Father operated 250 acre mixed farm with 8N, a Fordson Major and Four Horses - plowing, seeding, harvesting etc - but no backhoe.

Kidding aside, we all have to go through our own process. It took me about two years. I sat on a lot of equipment, drove some around the dealer lot, read a lot here on TBN, talked to quite a few dealers and several owners, read brochures, prepared spreadsheet analysis and at some point actually set a maximum budget. With every available choice there was some element of compromise involved. Eventually for what I wanted / needed / was prepared to spend the JD 3320 seemed my best choice. With almost 50 hours to date, I still feel that way.

Just remember, if you don't buy a Deere, you'll save a lot of money not having to buy all the hats, shirts, models, tool boxes and all the other accessories that are mandatory with a Deere.

For your needs something else could be perfect. At the end of the day YOU have to feel happy with your choice, confident with your dealer and feel you received a fair deal financially.

/ Trying to decide on a tractor
Thanks for the replies. The TC series is now retagged as the T series. The t2210 would be the equivalent to the TC31DA. I was going to get a TC35DA until NH decided to stop offering it with the 12x12 transmission. That forced me to consider the NH T2210 (31hp) or T2310 (40hp). The NH dealer is great, service dept best around, but when I tested the tractors (unfortunatley only with hydro trans) the 2310 had mech problems and the 2210 seemed alittle tight for me (i'm kinda tall). Thats when I went to the JD dealer. There tractors seemed much better built and roomier in the cab area so I'm leaning that direction. Unfortunately I don't know if the smaller tractors such as the JD3320 will handle the backhoe/plowing. I'm a hobby farmer so speed isn't the issue. Its more about the strength of the machine.

/ Trying to decide on a tractor #6  
I think if the implements are sized accordingly you should be ok. I've noticed that there are different size/capacities when it comes to the JD BH's and I don't think they would put a BH on a tractor that wasn't safe to operate within its capabilities. As far as plowing???? Haven't done any...yet... As you can see from my sig-line I'm running a Deere also. Been very happy with it so far. I've only gone through 3 shear bolts and one flat tire in 30 hours. Nothing to do with the machine just the operator. And like you am fairly big and have found the operator area very comfortable.

Good luck on your decision

/ Trying to decide on a tractor #7  
sunrisefarm said:
I can't decide what tractor to buy. I have an old 4wd Ford 1510 with a loader, 4' bush hog, post hole digger, 5' york rake. This old tractor has served me well over the years. Its done everything I ever asked of it but its time for a new one. I need a backhoe and also want to plow a 2 acre field. I started my search with a NH T2210 and T2310. Now I'm looking pretty hard at JD 3320 and 4120. Drove all of them and the JD's seem like a more solid machine. One of the things I could use some advise on is the size tractor I need for the backhoe and plow. I know both NH and JD offer backhoes for the smaller machines but I am concerned that the small tractors might get thrown around by the hoe or not be able to pull a plow. I like the manuverability of the small tractors particularly since sometimes I need the tractor to work in the woods. Any advise?

Depends on the type of plow you're eyeballing and the soil you're planning to work. I have an old IH trailer type 2-14 plow (2 plow bottoms, 14" wide furrows) that I pull with my Mahindra 5525 (55 hp engine, 45 hp pto, 40-45 drawbar hp) with no problem in the dry soil typical in my area. My old 1964 MF-135 diesel (45 hp engine, 38 hp pto, 33 hp drawbar) could handle that IH plow in softer soil.

With only 2 acres to plow, you could use a single bottom 14" plow and handle that size with a smaller tractor in the 25-30 hp(engine) range.

Before I bought the 5525, I had a 2005 Kubota B7510HST (21 hp engine, 17 hp pto, 4WD) that I used to plow about 1/2 acre around the house for landscaping. I used a King Kutter middle buster (aka potato plow, $140 at Tractor Supply) for this work. You could plow your 2 acres in a morning and then disc it to prepare your seedbed. Your little 1510 probably could do this work in soft soil.

/ Trying to decide on a tractor #8  
Not sure if someone else has said anything about Kioti, however I was looking at Kubota and NH as the dealers were close and then I found out that a Kioti dealership was less than 5 miles away so I took. All I can say is that if you have a dealer close by (even if not as close as 5 miles), you may want to take a look.

Honest to goodness, I was leaning toward Kubota and could not beleive the Tractor I could get at Kioti for the price of a much smaller one at Kubota. Not to knock kubota at all for their quality or brand, but the Kioti in the same price range was a larger and appears to be more on the HD side than the Kubota.

Again I have not performed a tug-of-war between the two, however I was very impressed by the Kioti's that I drove and was glad I did as now I am planning to get one...

Either way, Good Luck!!!

/ Trying to decide on a tractor #9  
I have a JD3520, shuttle shift (gears), and 447 backhoe (the smaller one) with RimGuard filled R4 tires.

I have a Dearborn 2-14 plow. I have no problems with power plowing blue clay, except for tire slippage. I think with Ag tires I might possibly pull a 3-14 plow.

The backhoe could throw the tractor around, but once the operator masters the backhoe, this isn't a problem anymore.

If I were in your shoes, I'd consider a JD3520 (gear only for plowing power) or JD4120 with the 448 hoe and Ag tires. If you don't have tight area to maneuver or need to haul the equipment on a trailer, the JD4120 would be the better choice. Keep in mind implements for the JD4120 will be more expensive since you can't practically use 5' wide implements on it.