Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tractor
    Kubota ZD221

Default Just bought my first tractor

Having just bought 4.5 acres and needing a small tractor to help me get the property cleaned up, I bought a mid-80's John Deere 650.

Low hours, very clean and runs great.

Here's the problem....and I'm embarrassed to admit it. I have NEVER driven a tractor. Never started one. Never drove one. I have a friend of mine check it out before I bought it and he swears I will wonder how I lived without it. He said that I got a terrific price.

I paid $1800.

Any tips or tricks to learning one?

I look forward to any hints, tips or tricks.
    Scot

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Kubota B2620

Default Re: Just bought my first tractor

Congats on your new purchase. Dont really know about your model but as a new driver (little over a year) I would recomend just taking it slow and you will learn as you go. Any attatchments w/ your new toy?

Tractor
    New Holland TC29DA, John Deere 455D

Scotman:

Welcome to TBN and congratulations on your "new" tractor ! At some point all the tractor operators here at TBN operated their first tractor for the first time . There will be a "learning curve" and you will make mistakes hopefully you will not repeat your mistakes like I have . If you have a FEL (Front End Loader) either weight your rear tires or attach weight (box blade, etc.) to your 3PH (3 Point Hitch). Keep your weighted FEL bucket as low and level as possible. Try not to exceed 15 degrees of tilt whatever you are doing. Try not to mow across slopes > 15 degrees especially when the grass is wet. Tell us more about your location, property, and anticipated short and long term projects. Ask a lot lf questions and keep us in the link. Always respect your tractor and equipment; try not to operate when "rushed", tired/sock, hot, or dehydrated; move slow; and operate safely and well. Jay

PS: Please fill out your profile and send pictures. We like pictures !
    NH TC29DA with 14LA and HD QA 60" bucket, weighted R-1's, FOPS, CCM M-160 (58") Tiller, Tebben MD 60" Rotary Cutter, Woods LR 108 (96") Landscape Rake, FEL cutting edge and tooth bar, Woods GB60 (60") Box Blade, Wallenstein BXM32

1995 John Deere 455 Diesel with 48" mower, MC 519 Cart with PowerVac

Tractor
    JD 2320

Pictures! First tractor is my old 650, new one is a 2320
    -2320_2-jpg
    JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, FEL Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife

Tractor
    Sold the farm, sold the tractors, moved back to the city

Quote Originally Posted by Scotman
    Having just bought 4.5 acres and needing a small tractor to help me get the property cleaned up, I bought a mid-80's John Deere 650.

Low hours, very clean and runs great.

Here's the problem....and I'm embarrassed to admit it. I have NEVER driven a tractor. Never started one. Never drove one. I have a friend of mine check it out before I bought it and he swears I will wonder how I lived without it. He said that I got a terrific price.

I paid $1800.

Any tips or tricks to learning one?

I look forward to any hints, tips or tricks.
    Scot
    Tractors like your 650 are pretty easy to drive. Just be aware that a small tractor can be tippy if you aren't careful. Learn to drive your tractor first by staying on level ground before venturing out into the field.

Stay away from ditches along roads and fencelines. When you get ready to take it into the field, check for holes and depressions. Foxes and gophers can leave holes that can damage the front wheel supports and possibly cause a rollover. If you have a ROPS, wear your seatbelt. Turn off the engine before getting off the seat.

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

1800$ sounds like a good deal if it isn't all beat to heck.

soundguy

Tractor
    New Holland TC29DA, John Deere 455D

Gizmo2:

Nice Pictures ! Jay
    NH TC29DA with 14LA and HD QA 60" bucket, weighted R-1's, FOPS, CCM M-160 (58") Tiller, Tebben MD 60" Rotary Cutter, Woods LR 108 (96") Landscape Rake, FEL cutting edge and tooth bar, Woods GB60 (60") Box Blade, Wallenstein BXM32

1995 John Deere 455 Diesel with 48" mower, MC 519 Cart with PowerVac

Bronze Member
    Advertiser
    Tractor
    1552 CAB

Congrads on the "new" tractor, sounds like you got a sweet deal! Check out the safety area on this sight, and watch ALL the video's. Have your friend go over the controls on your tractor. Do you have a owner's manual? If not get one and read it. In a few week, you will wonder how you could be without a tractor. Enjoy
    MF Dealer Rick
    603-848-2551

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    LA2800 HST

Congrats on the tractor. I drove my first tractor 14 hours (tractor time) ago. This site is very helpful. I agree, the safety section is helpful. Much easier to learn from others' mistakes. The loader and slopes seem to be the two areas where trouble can be found most easily.
    Red House - Orange Tractor - Beautiful Wife (Not in that order)
    L2800 HST FEL, 5' Box Blade.

Tractor
    Kubota B2620, Toro 2000 Series Z Master

Sounds like you got a great deal. Any question you have... just ask them and there will be plenty of members happy to answer them. Welcome to TBN.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast