Just bought my first tractor

/ Just bought my first tractor #1  

Scotman

Tractor
Kubota ZD221
Having just bought 4.5 acres and needing a small tractor to help me get the property cleaned up, I bought a mid-80's John Deere 650.

Low hours, very clean and runs great.

Here's the problem....and I'm embarrassed to admit it. I have NEVER driven a tractor. Never started one. Never drove one. I have a friend of mine check it out before I bought it and he swears I will wonder how I lived without it. He said that I got a terrific price.

I paid $1800.

Any tips or tricks to learning one?

I look forward to any hints, tips or tricks.
Scot

/ Just bought my first tractor #2  
Congats on your new purchase. Dont really know about your model but as a new driver (little over a year) I would recomend just taking it slow and you will learn as you go. Any attatchments w/ your new toy?

/ Just bought my first tractor #3  
Scotman:

Welcome to TBN and congratulations on your "new" tractor :D! At some point all the tractor operators here at TBN operated their first tractor for the first time :eek:. There will be a "learning curve" and you will make mistakes hopefully you will not repeat your mistakes like I have :rolleyes:. If you have a FEL (Front End Loader) either weight your rear tires or attach weight (box blade, etc.) to your 3PH (3 Point Hitch). Keep your weighted FEL bucket as low and level as possible. Try not to exceed 15 degrees of tilt whatever you are doing. Try not to mow across slopes > 15 degrees especially when the grass is wet. Tell us more about your location, property, and anticipated short and long term projects. Ask a lot lf questions and keep us in the link. Always respect your tractor and equipment; try not to operate when "rushed", tired/sock, hot, or dehydrated; move slow; and operate safely and well. Jay :)

PS: Please fill out your profile and send pictures. We like pictures :D!

/ Just bought my first tractor #4  
Pictures! First tractor is my old 650, new one is a 2320
2320_2.jpg

/ Just bought my first tractor #5  
Scotman said:
Having just bought 4.5 acres and needing a small tractor to help me get the property cleaned up, I bought a mid-80's John Deere 650.

Low hours, very clean and runs great.

Here's the problem....and I'm embarrassed to admit it. I have NEVER driven a tractor. Never started one. Never drove one. I have a friend of mine check it out before I bought it and he swears I will wonder how I lived without it. He said that I got a terrific price.

I paid $1800.

Any tips or tricks to learning one?

I look forward to any hints, tips or tricks.
Scot

Tractors like your 650 are pretty easy to drive. Just be aware that a small tractor can be tippy if you aren't careful. Learn to drive your tractor first by staying on level ground before venturing out into the field.

Stay away from ditches along roads and fencelines. When you get ready to take it into the field, check for holes and depressions. Foxes and gophers can leave holes that can damage the front wheel supports and possibly cause a rollover. If you have a ROPS, wear your seatbelt. Turn off the engine before getting off the seat.

/ Just bought my first tractor #6  
1800$ sounds like a good deal if it isn't all beat to heck.

soundguy

/ Just bought my first tractor #7  
Gizmo2:

Nice Pictures :D! Jay :)

/ Just bought my first tractor #8  
Congrads on the "new" tractor, sounds like you got a sweet deal! Check out the safety area on this sight, and watch ALL the video's. Have your friend go over the controls on your tractor. Do you have a owner's manual? If not get one and read it. In a few week, you will wonder how you could be without a tractor. Enjoy:D :D

/ Just bought my first tractor #9  
Congrats on the tractor. I drove my first tractor 14 hours (tractor time) ago. This site is very helpful. I agree, the safety section is helpful. Much easier to learn from others' mistakes. The loader and slopes seem to be the two areas where trouble can be found most easily.

/ Just bought my first tractor #10  
Sounds like you got a great deal. Any question you have... just ask them and there will be plenty of members happy to answer them. Welcome to TBN.