Is 1100 hours a lot of hours?

/ Is 1100 hours a lot of hours? #1  

KevinPeter

Hi there,
I have a guy selling an Case/IH 385. He says it has 1100 hours on it. That doesn't seem to be a lot but I don't know. It is located an hours drive away so I haven't looked at it yet but the picture of it looks okay.
Thanks,
Kevin

/ Is 1100 hours a lot of hours? #2  
In average use, 1100 hours is just barely broke in. Granted, some people could literally destroy a tractor in that namy hours, in most cases, a decent tractor is good for 4000 to 5000 hours with little more than routine maintenance. It's not unheard of to see tractors with 10,000 hours and still working every day.

/ Is 1100 hours a lot of hours? #3  
Certain models within brands seem to do better than others. Case in point being the IH 806 diesel with the 361 engine, they were known for their longevity and some had in excess of 20,000 hrs without being overhauled.
Some folks can "doctor up" a tractor and make it look pretty good before selling, smear some paint here and there, wipe the grease and oil off the engine, it looks as good as new until you get it home and start working it.
I would make a list of questions for the seller about the condition of the tractor, run it, look it over carefully, and then pray for the best.:)

/ Is 1100 hours a lot of hours? #4  
Farmwithjunk said:
In average use, 1100 hours is just barely broke in. Granted, some people could literally destroy a tractor in that namy hours, in most cases, a decent tractor is good for 4000 to 5000 hours with little more than routine maintenance. It's not unheard of to see tractors with 10,000 hours and still working every day.

How about less than 10 seconds...:rolleyes:
YouTube - how to destroy a tractor

/ Is 1100 hours a lot of hours? #5  
Ditto 100% what FWJ said.. 1100 hrs is just broke in good unless abused.. in which case.. 15 hrs is enough to completely destroy a tractor top to bottom..

soundguy

/ Is 1100 hours a lot of hours? #6  
I had to do a valve job on my old MF 85 at only 10,000 hours. They don't make them like they used to.

/ Is 1100 hours a lot of hours? #8  
Some of the older farm tractors ( if taken care of ) will last a long time.
The key is maintenance and how the tractor was treated.

We have....

1969 Ford 4000 diesel - Bought new. Hour meter/tach broke at 10,9xx hours. It is still one of our every day chore tractors. - Motor has never been touched. No major repairs except for the notoriously bad power steering assist cylinder.

This is one tractor that will always be in the family.
My Grandpa drove it. My Dad drove it. I still use it. My sons use it.
Before long my grandson will drive it.

1967 Oliver 1650 diesel - Currently at 8,9xx hours. Going to need some minor clutch work one on these days.

Farmall M - Pre war (I think). Bought new. Handed down from Grandpa. Usually hooked either to a feed grinder or an auger wagon.

Farmall 'Super H' - Post war (I think). Bought new. Handed down from Uncle Henry. Has not been unhooked from a horseshoe mount John Deere sickle bar mower for as long as I can remember. Still the main grass hay cutting outfit.

These tractors have all been used ( but not abused ) hard but well maintained.

/ Is 1100 hours a lot of hours? #9  
wbb said:
Some of the older farm tractors ( if taken care of ) will last a long time.
The key is maintenance and how the tractor was treated.

We have....

1969 Ford 4000 diesel - Bought new. Hour meter/tach broke at 10,9xx hours. It is still one of our every day chore tractors. - Motor has never been touched. No major repairs except for the notoriously bad power steering assist cylinder.

This is one tractor that will always be in the family.
My Grandpa drove it. My Dad drove it. I still use it. My sons use it.
Before long my grandson will drive it.

1967 Oliver 1650 diesel - Currently at 8,9xx hours. Going to need some minor clutch work one on these days.

Farmall M - Pre war (I think). Bought new. Handed down from Grandpa. Usually hooked either to a feed grinder or an auger wagon.

Farmall 'Super H' - Post war (I think). Bought new. Handed down from Uncle Henry. Has not been unhooked from a horseshoe mount John Deere sickle bar mower for as long as I can remember. Still the main grass hay cutting outfit.

These tractors have all been used ( but not abused ) hard but well maintained.

wbb- I see you subscribe to the farming model of a tractor for every implement? :D I wish we could do that...

/ Is 1100 hours a lot of hours? #10  
Sure beats hitching and unhitching equipment.

soundguy