Which antique tractor?

/ Which antique tractor? #1  

keving

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota 7040HDC
I've been thinking about adding another tractor to the barn. I'd like to get a classic tractor in the 30hp plus range that is in decent condition that is in good working order. I'll do restoration over time. My budget for the initial tractor is under $4K. 3PH is a must.

This will be used as a tractor, not a show piece. I plan on returning it to its original condition with proper mechanical, body parts, tires and paint.

What models have the most parts available?

I really like the Ford Golden Jubilee NAA Series 800, Farmall H, Farmall M, and the Massey-Harris 30.

Thanks for your input!

/ Which antique tractor? #2  
keving said:
I've been thinking about adding another tractor to the barn. I'd like to get a classic tractor in the 30hp plus range that is in decent condition that is in good working order. I'll do restoration over time. My budget for the initial tractor is under $4K. 3PH is a must.

This will be used as a tractor, not a show piece. I plan on returning it to its original condition with proper mechanical, body parts, tires and paint.

I really like the Ford Golden Jubilee NAA Series 800, Farmall H, Farmall M, and the Massey-Harris 30.

Thanks for your input!

Unless you're talking about an add on, aftermarket 3-point hitch, rule out the H/M FarmAll's. They didn't come with a 3-point hitch originally. Parts should be plentiful for either though.

Massey Harris 30's won't be the easiest to find SOME parts for. Now the FERGUSON 30, that's another story. They'll be as easy to get parts for as any tractor in existance.

All the early Fords are easy to get parts for.

Some of the earliest Massey Fergusons are starting to become "collectable". What's limited their collectability until now is, MOST of 'em are still daily workers. Good tractors that just refused to quit. I personally have a soft spot for the Massey Harris 50/Ferguson F40/Massey Ferguson 50. (All essentially the same tractor, built during the years when MH and Ferguson were merging) Still lots of them around, parts are easy to come by. In fact, they share a LOT of parts with the TO-35 Ferguson. Examples of these tractors can be had in good working order in the $3000 range if you look. If you want a tractor with 3-point hitch, why not get one from the brand who gave us the 3-point hitch!?!? THE Ferguson System!!!

/ Which antique tractor? #3  
I'm partial to Allis Chalmers myself, you should be able to find a D-14 or D-15 for that price.

The IH H & M's (Super) did come with a Fast hitch which is a great system if you have access to Fast Hitch implements.

/ Which antique tractor? #5  
I love my Farmall H but you will need to spend an extra $700-950 for an aftermarket 3 pt hitch unless you find one that has already had it added on. For the price you can spend, you could buy one already restored plus get the 3 point since IH made a ton of these tractors (2nd only to the Ford 8N in numbers). For the most part mine only pulls my manure spreader (and very large branches that come off the maple tree during storms and land in the top of the apple tree:D) so a 3 point hasn't been necessary for me although it would be nice.

Keep us antique iron junkies posted on what you buy! Have fun looking!

/ Which antique tractor? #7  
I have an H with the Saginaw 3pt and I can tell you that makes one fantastic deal. The hitch is very nicely made and beafier than most Cat2 hitches from the factory. Have incredible lift potential and has down pressure. I upgraded my H to have live hydraulics/power steering/creeper gears/dual remotes/power top link/front bolster weights/front wheel weights/and about 50HP. Makes one real fine unit when you add all that.

/ Which antique tractor? #8  
Don, the tractor makes up for the add on hitch. If a fellow was really serious the John Deere 4020 should be considered!:D :D

/ Which antique tractor? #9  
About 2 weeks ago I saw a restored IH 450D (tricycle) with TA and Fast Hitch, man was that nice! He wanted $6500 for it and I almost went for it until I realized I'd have a lot of explaining to do bring that home!

How about a 1010 John Deere?

/ Which antique tractor? #10  
keving said:

Thanks for your input!

Massey Ferguson 135 diesel (45 hp engine, 37 hp pto). That was my choice after running it by the knowledgable folks on TBN. Bought it in July06 for $3600. Runs fine. Has 4600 hours on the tractormeter. Plan to use it to pull my grain drill, sicklebar mower and possibly my side delivery hay rake. The heavy haying chores (plowing, discing, baling) will be handled by the new Mahindra 5525 (55 hp engine, 45 hp pto). The family members like to tool around on the 135 rather than drive the 5525.

DSCF0016Small.jpg

DSCF0017Small-1.jpg

It's an orchard tractor. The rear wheels on on 16 inch diameter rims instead of the more usual 28" dia that you find on classic 135 row crop models. My 135 has shorter front spindles so the tractor squats low to work in the orchards around here.

My 135 needed a thorough cleanup (hardly any airflow through the radiator core).

DSCF0011-smallSmall-1.jpg

I rewired the tractor, replace most of the gauges, repainted everything. Need to reroute fuel lines for the new vertical exhaust system. I rotated the exhaust system 90 degrees to vertical for haying work. Still need to reinstall the sheet metal. No problem getting parts for the 135.

There's a 1951 Allis Chalmers WD for sale by one of my neighbors for $1200. I may bite and try to do a deal. Don't like those turf tires. Wish it had ags.

DSCF0009Medium.jpg

And another neighbor has offered me his old Yanmar 1500 with a bent front axle (a freebie). I'll probably rescue that one from the scrap heap also. And I've become attracted to the Farmall H. One of those may be in my future.

It's hard to find time to work on the tractors. My effort lately is on haying implements. Need to get my newly acquired 10-ft Minneapolis Moline grain drill working soon.

DSCF0284Small.jpg

Once you get hooked on the classics (tractors and implements) it'll really eat into your me time. It helps a lot if you're retired--like myself.