looked at a few tractors.

/ looked at a few tractors. #1  

toddol1971

Silver Member
Tractor
Massey ferguson Model 65 gas
I looked at the dk 55 & 65's. Look good, but I hate how far the loader joystick is from me while sitting down. I also noticed the one thats been there for 6 months has the paint faded & some of the metal bits are rusting. Theres alot of nice features though. I looked at a 4110 or something like that mahindra & I thought I was sitting on my massey 1433 there exactly the same except for the hood. I like the mahindras though. They look beefier as I looked at the 5525 vs the dk 55. I thought the kioti 65 sat to high. the dk55 seemed just right though. Initially I thought I wanted a 65 or so hp tractor. I'm thinking about just getting a 50 or so tractor now, cause I dont want a huge tractor. I can get a smaller one around easier. So my thought now is to get a 50 to 55 hp tractor with 4x4, fel, finish mower, then get an 80 to 100 hp tractor 2wd to pull discs, cultivators etc. Hows this sound? Any suggestions as to which 4by tractor to get. I'd like a stout tractor & dont care about cramped quarters. Usually once your in the seat its not cramped. I dont care about a flat floor. I want shuttle or hydro. I like shuttle better cause there cheaper & I'm used to them, but wont rule out hydro. Thanks Todd.

/ looked at a few tractors. #2  
toddol1971 said:
I looked at the dk 55 & 65's. Look good, but I hate how far the loader joystick is from me while sitting down. I also noticed the one thats been there for 6 months has the paint faded & some of the metal bits are rusting. Theres alot of nice features though. I looked at a 4110 or something like that mahindra & I thought I was sitting on my massey 1433 there exactly the same except for the hood. I like the mahindras though. They look beefier as I looked at the 5525 vs the dk 55. I thought the kioti 65 sat to high. the dk55 seemed just right though. Initially I thought I wanted a 65 or so hp tractor. I'm thinking about just getting a 50 or so tractor now, cause I dont want a huge tractor. I can get a smaller one around easier. So my thought now is to get a 50 to 55 hp tractor with 4x4, fel, finish mower, then get an 80 to 100 hp tractor 2wd to pull discs, cultivators etc. Hows this sound? Any suggestions as to which 4by tractor to get. I'd like a stout tractor & dont care about cramped quarters. Usually once your in the seat its not cramped. I dont care about a flat floor. I want shuttle or hydro. I like shuttle better cause there cheaper & I'm used to them, but wont rule out hydro. Thanks Todd.

Go sit on a JD 5x03 and see how that fits ergonomically.

/ looked at a few tractors. #3  
Get a DK90.

/ looked at a few tractors. #4  
Have you looked at the case/IH farmall tractors? They have been advertising them in my area.

/ looked at a few tractors. #5  
I have a 5300 JD, and I can tell you to stay as far away from green paint as you possibly can.
I do use mine for everything but farming and it has been apart many times. Mainly my beef is with the parking pawl in the tranny. It was recalled, but a fix was not made. There were some other issues, but I took care of them myself. When I had to take it back to the dealership to get all the nuts and bolts put back in three times for one fix, it was just too much. Seems as everytime I go there to get a part they order the wrong one. Just frustrating.
I have owned several different tractors and JD support is lacking. Other than that, it has plenty of power at 50hp and the hyd system works well.

/ looked at a few tractors. #6  
rdbrumfield said:
I have a 5300 JD, and I can tell you to stay as far away from green paint as you possibly can.
I do use mine for everything but farming and it has been apart many times. Mainly my beef is with the parking pawl in the tranny. It was recalled, but a fix was not made. There were some other issues, but I took care of them myself. When I had to take it back to the dealership to get all the nuts and bolts put back in three times for one fix, it was just too much. Seems as everytime I go there to get a part they order the wrong one. Just frustrating.
I have owned several different tractors and JD support is lacking. Other than that, it has plenty of power at 50hp and the hyd system works well.

Sounds like your dealer is lacking, not JD as a whole. Every single manufacturer can produce a lemon. That doesn't mean all the tractors in their line-up are poor tractors. www.jdparts.com is a great online source for ordering parts. Hard to go wrong when you order the parts number yourself. :D

All of my Kubotas have been trouble free, but my neighbor bought another model. His has spent more time in the shop than in the field. That doesn't mean all Kubotas are poor tractors.

/ looked at a few tractors.
get a dk 90! Come on man I said that the 65 was to big. In my area the problem is that only one dealer really has a good selection. Thats the kioti dealer. The kubota dealer has some, but not like the kioti guy. I'm gonna have to travel. I dont mind if I get one an hour or so away. Thanks for the comments so far. Keep em coming. Todd.

/ looked at a few tractors. #8  
I know you are looking for something in the 50 hp range but if you could do with just a bit smaller then check out the Kioti DK45se which has different ergonomics than the DK55 and 65.

/ looked at a few tractors.
I looked at it & really dont like the long handle on the loader joystick. I love the 45 though. It looks good & is a really good size. The 55 is just a hair bigger than the 45.

/ looked at a few tractors. #10  
did you look at the mf 1552 or 1560 you could keep the mf tradition alive,,