BX 2200 / JD 445

/ BX 2200 / JD 445 #1  

Anonymous Poster

I CURRENTLY OWN A JD445 W/60IN MOWER AND 54 IN BLADE. I PURCHASED THIS UNIT THIS WINTER, SO I'VE ONLY GOT TO MOW WITH IT ONCE. THE JD'S SEEM TO LEAVE A SMALL STRIP OF GRASS UN CUT WHEN TURNING SHARP. MY JD 210 DOES THE SAME THING. HOW DOES THE BX 2200 WITH 60 IN DECK DO? TALKED TO A KUBOTA DEALER ABOUT PURCHASEING A BX 2200 WITH 60 IN MOWER AND FEL. CASH PRICE OF 13,200.00 AND TRADE OF 4,500.00 FOR MY 445 W/900 HOURS. IS THIS A GOOD PRICE OR NOT?
NOTHING IS PERFECT, SO WHAT ARE SOME OF THE DOWN FALL OF THE BX 2200?
LAST QUISTION. I NOW THE FRONT BLADE HAS HYDRAULIC LIFT, BUT DOES IT HYDRAULIC ANGLE?
THANK FOR ANY INFO YOU CAN GIVE.
JMP

/ BX 2200 / JD 445 #2  
Why not register and do a search down in the Kubota section. I am not about to compare the BX to the 445 and bring upon me the wrath of the----.
Your question about the blade--do you mean front blade or the front end loader??? the loader has full range movement just like any tractor.
The uncut strip during a sharp turn is not uncommon and is not a fault of your JD 445. I think just about every tractor will do that. The BX only does it if you insist on a maximum effort turn (one pinky). I have seen the small strip you mention on other mowers.
I recommend you get the BX with 60 MMM, FEL and perhaps a rear blade. JD has some new lawn tractors called the X series, X, I imagine because of the X in BX. It is simply my opinion but a better choice if you want a JD would be their new 4010 compact utility, slightly larger than the BX. Despite what some will tell you the BX is a very capable and rugged tractor--I should know--I have both a BX and a B2410 and in some things the little BX is superior or equal to the larger B, especially mowing and manuvering. It is a little slugger for sure. The thing with you is I hate to see you keep trading and loosing money so this time try to get what YOU want and not what I or someone else wants you to get. I suggest also you go and ride them around, kick the tires and light them up. Good luck. J

Attachments

• 46-137403-Bx2410.jpg
    46-137403-Bx2410.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 431
   / BX 2200 / JD 445 #3  
Wolf, one thing you may want to consider going from the JD445 to the BX2200 would be the higher back seat. I had the B2410 installed on my BX2200 and like it a lot better then the standard seat. To the best of my knowledge, the new X series JD units only have the 2 WD available at this point in time. So trying to compare the 2 is like apples & oranges. There is still at least a couple hundred pounds of weight difference between the Kubota & new X series even in the 4WD units. Kubota taking the heavier edge by about 200 lbs. The diesel on the Kubota is very fuel efficient and has great low end torque. Although I have only put about 10 hours on my tractor, I am really impressed what this machine will do. Definitely go with the FEL from the get go if you can swing it.

/ BX 2200 / JD 445 #4  
I believe the Kubota BX2763 front blade has the hydraulic angle but if I were you Id go to the dealer and get the specifications.

I dont think youll get rid of that unmowed strip of grass on tight turns. You may want to check with one of the commercial guys that have a ZTR and see if they leave a strip like that - I dont think they do. Is a ZTR an option?

/ BX 2200 / JD 445 #5  
Wolf,

$13.200 seems a little high.

Since you are not registered, I can not tell what part of the country you are in. If you are reasonably close to NC, Steve Carver's operation has a special on the BX2200 at the moment.

You get a BX2200, FEL, MMM, tiller, box scraper and aerator for $13,695 (not including delivery).

Check it out:
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://carverequipment.com/cool_season_new.htm>http://carverequipment.com/cool_season_new.htm</A>

/ BX 2200 / JD 445 #6  
Wolf,
I had a JD 425 and now have a BX2200, they are not comparable even with the two more HP advantage the 445 has over the 425.
You should go check one out for yourself, the 445 is a very nice mower but the BX is a tractor that makes an excellent mower. In my area there is a demand for the JD400 series mowers at this time, I feel the trade in price is a little low and the BX price is a little high.
Register and keep us informed on your quest.
Good luck

/ BX 2200 / JD 445 #7  
TresCrows,
This would have been a good place to show the pic of the Green Machine being dumped over the fence.
I got a real kick out of that./w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

/ BX 2200 / JD 445 #8  
Wolf - as most everyone has said... you really can't compare those two tractors, and your price seems a bit steep (partly because your trade value seems low).

Regarding the mowing strip... As tractors turn sharper, and the individual mowing blades are slightly offset, you will tend to cause strips between the blade that is most inside of the corner and center blade. A manufacturer can minimize this by increasing the overlap between each blade, but that will reduce the effective width of the mower...

To find out what your overlap is:
1. Measure the total length of one (or all) of the blades. <example: 16">
2. With the end blades perpendicular to the direction of tractor travel, measure the distance from outer tip to the opposite outer tip (this is the true width of your mower... independent of what width the model says that it is... ). <example: 46">
3. Multiply the blade length (#1) time the number of blades (generally 3). <example: 16 X 3 = 48>
4. The difference between #2 & #3 is the total overlap. <example: 48 - 46 = 2")
5. Divide the number in item #4 by (the number of blades minus 1) to get the overlap between each blade. <example: 2 / (3-1) = 1">

I think that I have been reading too many tax forms...

The problem is that as you turn a sharp corner, this overlap increases between the outer two blades, and reduces between the inner two blades...

/ BX 2200 / JD 445 #9  
I basically agree with rmcess.
Around Illinois you get get way more than $4500 for a like new 445. At that price I'm assuming it's not all-wheel steer?
They are known to have uneven cuts due to wheel cambering.
Everyone says the BX cuts great, and they can't all be wrong. I will say one thing, if you want a mower and not a tractor, try to get a test of a Simplicity garden tractor on your lawn before you decide. Mine puts a JD garden tractor cut to shame. No strips, no scalps, beautiful job.

/ BX 2200 / JD 445 #10  
Just for you RM, hey everyone--that is not really a JD being tossed over the fence so don't get excited. J

Attachments

• 46-140039-Jdtoss.jpg
    46-140039-Jdtoss.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 282