Mahindra vs. Kubota

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Mahindra vs. Kubota #1  

jasperab

Bronze Member
Tractor
MF 230/Mahindra 4500 MF TO35
I have a Mahindra 4500 and a guy I work with brought out his Kubota and we moved about 2 acres of firewood and chips into piles separated into wood, ready to split and chips for mulch.
He accomplished almost twice as much with the hydrostat as I did shifting gears!
His Kubota is about the same age as my Mahindra and works great, with over 2500 hours on it.
The Mahindra is dead! Threw a rod with 186 hours, the same month that the warranty expired.

/ Mahindra vs. Kubota #2  
Too bad about your Mahindra breaking down.
There's little doubt a hydrostat is easier to shift than a pure gear driven tractor especially for loader work (my opinion), but his 2500 hours experience might also have something to do with it.

/ Mahindra vs. Kubota #3  
And it depends on HP and bucket size, too!

/ Mahindra vs. Kubota #4  
jasperab said:
I have a Mahindra 4500 and a guy I work with brought out his Kubota and we moved about 2 acres of firewood and chips into piles separated into wood, ready to split and chips for mulch.
He accomplished almost twice as much with the hydrostat as I did shifting gears!
His Kubota is about the same age as my Mahindra and works great, with over 2500 hours on it.
The Mahindra is dead! Threw a rod with 186 hours, the same month that the warranty expired.
How old is the mahindra?coobie

/ Mahindra vs. Kubota #5  
186 hours is very early in the game to loose a rod? Was the machine abused?

/ Mahindra vs. Kubota #6  
jasperab said:

Sounds like a Kubota salesman that just lost a deal to a Mahindra. I had a somewhat abused repo 6000 that was tremendous and the subsequent owner loved it as well.

/ Mahindra vs. Kubota #7  
jasperab said:
jasperab said:
First 100hrs-good
100-150hrs-fair
186hrs-scrap metal!!!
Power steering lines started leaking between 50-100hrs
Brush clearing broke off starter solenoid
At 186 hours engine started knocking-was told it was probably igniters so I tried to get it back to house from the field where it sat all winter. Rod through the block!
No short block available-$5000+ labor for a new motor.
Warrenty expired the month it started knocking and factory says "tough luck".
I only used this tractor to mow and plant food plot since the farm is in a CRP Program. Very light use.
Now I am back to my 30y/o MF230 which still works fine.
If you are looking at Mahindra Tractors, think twice and keep looking.
This doesn't seem to add up. Was it being used to move/clear brush or was it setting for awhile prior to being fired up and moved back to the house?
Could there have been water in the oil? Certainly is bad luck but, I think there is more detail to this. Can you fill us in?

/ Mahindra vs. Kubota
My farm is in a CRP program so I mow about 30-40 acres each year. The only plowing I do is with a 6' field cultivator to put in food plot for the wildlife. The clearing I was doing was in the woods around one of my deer stands. A small tree snapped back and took off the solenoid which sits low on the side of the engine with no shielding.
Started knocking when I was blading the road down to the house last October, so I left the tractor in the field until I knew what the problem was.A friend told me he thought the problem would be injectors but this spring was so wet, I didn't try to bring it in until may, and thats when the rod went through the block.
My dealer tried to get Mahindra to do something, but the warrenty expired in October, 2007 (the month it started knocking) and I didn't go in until may when it threw the rod.
Abuse! I've never had the engine close to high RPM's or pulled a heavy load.
And no, I'm not a Kubota dealer, but if I buy another tractor I will look seriously at them. Right now I'm back to using my 30 y/o MF230 gas. At least the gas is cheaper than diesel right now!

/ Mahindra vs. Kubota #9  
No intent to offend, but in the few years I have been following these forums, I have come to my own personal observations on Mahindra:

The smaller Japanese/TYM made Mahindras are great and equal to any other brand.

The larger Mahindra Ag machines are not so great. This is just my observation from reading these forums, especially with the volume they move, there seem to be more problems reported than other brands.

/ Mahindra vs. Kubota #10  
jasperab said:
My farm is in a CRP program so I mow about 30-40 acres each year. The only plowing I do is with a 6' field cultivator to put in food plot for the wildlife. The clearing I was doing was in the woods around one of my deer stands. A small tree snapped back and took off the solenoid which sits low on the side of the engine with no shielding.
Started knocking when I was blading the road down to the house last October, so I left the tractor in the field until I knew what the problem was.A friend told me he thought the problem would be injectors but this spring was so wet, I didn't try to bring it in until may, and thats when the rod went through the block.
My dealer tried to get Mahindra to do something, but the warrenty expired in October, 2007 (the month it started knocking) and I didn't go in until may when it threw the rod.
Abuse! I've never had the engine close to high RPM's or pulled a heavy load.
And no, I'm not a Kubota dealer, but if I buy another tractor I will look seriously at them. Right now I'm back to using my 30 y/o MF230 gas. At least the gas is cheaper than diesel right now!
Thanks for filling in the rest of the story.
What I would try is, send a pm to musamarketing, a TBN member, explaining in careful detail (and politely) all this info. There have been manufacturers that have assisted in meeting the customers needs, even on out of warranty problems, when it is the right thing to do. It can't hurt and bad pr doesn't help any company.

Status
Not open for further replies.