Looking for a Ford tractor.

/ Looking for a Ford tractor. #1  

PSDStu

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota, M7060 HDC12, L4060 HSTC, RTV 1140
I am looking for suggestions as to what model Ford tractors to look at for a 2nd tractor.

There is a large New Holland Dealer in the area and they usually have a large number of older Ford Tractors for sale.

I would like a 1970's or 1980's year tractor, something between 30-40 HP, would prefer a diesel model, and 2wd.

Tractor would be primarily used for pulling a rotary cutter for pasture mowing, and maybe some finish mowing.

Looking for suggestions as to what models to look for, and what features to look for, and what to avoid.

Thanks!

/ Looking for a Ford tractor. #2  
I had a 2000 deisel of that vintage. Was a good tractor and I would not hesitate to reccomend one for you. A 3000 would be ok also. With gas now so much cheaper than deisel and the ultra low and 2X ultra low sulfer deisel soon to be all we will be able to buy (about 10% less energy than the old stuff), I would seriously consider a gas version of either of these models. These days and even more so in the future, deisel has little if any advantage over gas in a tractor in this size range. In the old days when you got a lot more energy per gallon than gas at lower cost it was a far different story.

/ Looking for a Ford tractor. #3  
I've got a 3910, about the same tractor as a 3930 or the older 4000 or 4110. Pretty much aything between a 3000 and 5000 series should work well for what you want to do.

/ Looking for a Ford tractor. #4  
Pay attention to the transmission you're getting if you start looking at gas 2000s. Late '60s gas 2000s had a single range 4 speed that really didn't have a good low first gear. My '69 is that way. Groundspeed in 1st at PTO speed is faster than my L4300 is in 3rd. Although the tractor seems to have plenty of guts, you just can't slow it down.

I think the gas 2000s went to a single range 6 speed sometime in the early '70s. Dunno whether that solved the problem, but it couldn't have hurt.

Best tranny from that era seems to be the dual range 8 speed they put on the diesels. It's about bullet proof and has a good selection of gears. It may have been an option on the gassers, but I don't know that.

The gas 2000s are pretty economical to run, but were built with a Holley updraft carburetor that is no longer available. A bad thing about the Holley is that it didn't have a replaceable needle valve seat. So when the needle valve started leaking (as evidenced by your fuel tank draining onto the ground) you needed to buy a new carburetor. The replacement is a Zenith that is available from sources on the web for around $250. My '69 has a Zenith that came from the local NH dealer. I played **** getting it working, but there's a story with that and the carb itself seems to be OK.

You may also end up with a transmission type PTO on a 2000 gasser. I never really had any issues with mine but, having been spoiled by independent PTO, stepping back seems like dark ages.

Power steering was a nice option, but something else to maintain. The manual steering will give you a workout if you put in a long day. Aftermarket PS kits have been offered in the past.

One very good thing is that you get your 540 PTO RPM at only 1500 engine RPM. My 2000 has been in the family since the mid '70s, so I've seen some of its problems.
FWIW
Bob

/ Looking for a Ford tractor. #5  
I've owned a couple 3000 Fords. One gas, one diesel. They're in the HP class you're interested in, fairly common still, and in general, a good tractor. I owned the 3000 gas from new in 1973 until 2005. 4000+ hard hours as a loader tractor on a farm and it finally just gave out. I sure can't say anything bad about it.

/ Looking for a Ford tractor. #6  
If looking at Ford 3000s, it would be wise to stay away from the Select-O-Shift hydros. They often need attention and it's difficult to find anyone who knows how to work on them. There is someone in my area, but, from what I've heard, the turnarounds are quite long and the repairs are expensive.

As a result you can often find a straight and clean SOS Ford going at a very reasonable price. Best think twice before buying one.

A gear 3000 would be a fine choice.
Bob

/ Looking for a Ford tractor. #7  
PSD, I was reading your post and it reminded me of a little tractor I saw on Craigslist:

Ford Tractor and Shredder

Kind looks like something that would be right up your alley. Unfortunately, it's only 800 miles or so from you....:(

/ Looking for a Ford tractor.
Joe,

Thats a fine looking Ford and I would seriously consider it if it wasn't so far away.

I called the local NH dealer here that I know has some Ford as well as MF used tractors on the lot..... I about spit out my coffee when the salesman gave me the prices... hears what I got for prices:

1962 Ford 2000..... diesel, rebuilt engine, and new clutch...$10,995

MF 135, diesel.... $9995

Tafe 35 .... $9995

Needless to sat about **** all over my self when I heard those prices.

For not much more then that I can probably get a new Kubota L3240 2wd, or a MX5100 2wd....

I will check the craigslist around the area and see what else I can find......or may just go get a new 2wd Kubota.

Stu

JoeinTX said:
PSD, I was reading your post and it reminded me of a little tractor I saw on Craigslist:

Ford Tractor and Shredder

Kind looks like something that would be right up your alley. Unfortunately, it's only 800 miles or so from you....:(

/ Looking for a Ford tractor. #9  
Nothing cheap about buying a good used tractor, but there are deals out there. Just keep your ear to the ground and ask around a lot!
David from jax

/ Looking for a Ford tractor.
I found this Deere 1520, don't know much about them and it's a little bigger then what I was looking for, but the pics sure show a good looking old Deere.

John Deere 1520 50hp wide front nice