I could sure use your help!

/ I could sure use your help! #1  

Maker102

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota L3010 w/FEL
One thing that I have learned is that experience is expensive, hence the reason for my post. I now own a ten acre lake on 14 acres of ground with a 30x50 machine shed. Across the street I own 7.5 acres that is V shaped. I am currently planting trees on one of the legs approximatly 550 and I plan on doing the same to the other side next year. I am planning on building a house on this acreage and intend to put a small 1 acre pond on it. On the lake side I have a gravel road on three sides with the remaining side in pasture. Currently I am reinforcing the sides of the lake with concrete rubble to shore up the sides. The lake is 30 ft deep if that thought crossed your mind. OK now you know what I am going to use a tractor for. Mowing, snow removal, concrete movement, dirt and gravel movement. Now for the 60,000 dollar question: How big of a tractor do you guys recommend? Naturally cost is always an issue so I don't want to cut my nose off and buy a tractor to small and on the other hand I don't want to buy more than what I will actually use. Ok one more thing to throw into the mix I am handicapped and my legs don't work worth a hoot so it would be nice to get one with all hand controls but this is not a necessity as just about anything can be modified to work. Any help would be gratefully appreciated. If you can please include model numbers of what you think might work best. One other quick question I have seen on the web that alot of money can be saved by buying out of state. Are the tractor dealers like car dealers and fix it if its under warrenty? i.e can you take it to any dealer for warrenty work? Thanks again.

Carl

/ I could sure use your help! #2  
Carl,

I would recommend a TLB with easy access through to the BH as well a thumb attachment (the BH bucket is your 4 fingers and your thumb is - well you get the picture) so to easily pick and place materials to be picked up with the FEL. Planting trees will allow you to dig the hole and place the trees w/o getting off the tractor ( except to remove the wire casing or root ball burlap if you want) In addition the ease of removal and replacement of the BH and ancillary implements should be a consideration.

So which models and whats the cost. Well, from what I have seen the Kubota L48TLB/L35TLB are good units with easy access to the BH, as well the JD 110 has received very good reports on TBN. These all come with a price - $28-40K range.

Depending on your mobility the smaller machines like the BX 22 and B21 TLB units will do the job but however I think the larger units would be the best. These smaller units have a thumb possible but not usual.

BTW add some more info in your profile - may elict a more tactile response.

Regards,

Carl_NH

/ I could sure use your help!
Thanks Carl appreciate the advise. I do not plan on planting balled trees and I have to ask if that is the reason you recommended a back hoe? Can't I just use the bucket to dig out the pond? Or is the backhoe a much better way to go? I also have to ask what is a FEL? I realize that these are questions that should not have to be asked but hey when you don't know you have to and I'll be dogged if I know. I did update the profile but not much more to add. Thanks again for advise.

Carl

/ I could sure use your help! #4  
<font color=blue>I also have to ask what is a FEL?</font color=blue>

FEL is the abbrieviation for front end loader, I believe you refer to it as the bucket. Depending on where and what you are digging, the backhoe works much better. I'm not sure as to models, but if I'm not mistaken, the John Deere's have cruise control as an option, might be easier than a regular hydrostatic transmission for you to operate. You might also want to consider something with a gear transmission, I'm sure it could be set up with a hand operated clutch, then its just a matter of selecting the gear and throttle setting for the speed you want. I'm not sure if you're familiar with the hydrostatic transmissions, but with them you push down on the pedal to go , push it down further to go faster.

/ I could sure use your help! #5  
Carl,
Reading your profile I think the BH is a nice tool to have but if you are moving rubble and grading, with mowing too, a good 30-35HP unit would serve you well. If you want to do a lot of holes, moving debris the BH is well worth the investmnet.

With a tooth bucket for digging and backdragging, or a 4in1 bucket (go to www.carverequippment.com) will allow you to grab things as well grade ,materials such as your drive etc..

Regarding buying on line with the mods you may need I would think a local dealer may serve you best. The prices on line and local dealers can be close 2-5% range depending on sales taxes etc..
With respect to transmissions, Ed makes a good point about the manual versions, as well "cruise control". However the HST's (Hydrostatic) could be easily modified to work with a hand control as well. The continous pressure required to move forward and back on an HST is about 5 lbs down force.

Goo Luck.

Carl

/ I could sure use your help! #6  
Go to the ASVI.COM sight and look at the RC30 Possitrack. This unit is all hand controlled with a "bucket". If you think you need a backhoe they make them to fit on the loader frame with a quick attach hitch. They have flail and finish mowers, post hole diggers, snow and dozer blades which all fit on the loader. Your bio says central Illinois, Champaign-Urbana has a possitrack dealer if I'm not mistaken. F.Y.I. the John Deere dealer in Vincennes In., has a used RC30 with 200 hours on it that they quoted a price of $13,500. A turkey farmer had bought it and found that it wasn't big enough to pull the decaker (floor cleaner). They can probably be talked down on the price, it is not a Deere. These are good machines and as I said earlier they are completly hand controlled. Good luck!

/ I could sure use your help! #7  
Maker102:

About two years ago there was a thread on TractorByNet that had an extensive discussion of assistive modifications for tractors. That thread is at this link: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.tractorbynet.com/cgi-bin/compact/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=owning&Number=8088&page=&view=&sb=&o=&vc=1#Post8088> Handicap up-fit 2710 </A>

Hope this helps.

/ I could sure use your help! #8  
The New Holland, Boomer line has an excellant open walk through feel to the operators station, there is absolutley nothing underfoot to trip over, which is a large reason why I will get one of the TC35D models eventually.
The backhoe is a really nice attachment to own and does have a lot of possible use's, ie. Placing concrete rubble on the lake banks, digging the pond etc. The down side I would think is that if you don't have a lot of use's for it or if you even have only a couple of uses for it. The cost of $5,000 to $7,000 to buy one would more than pay an excavator to come in and dig the pond with a considerable amount of money left over.
I love having my backhoe attachment, but with 1 years ownership under my belt, I have only used the backhoe once !!. Even though I bought the whole package used, it breaks down to about $4,000 for that one hole. As I use the backhoe more that cost per hole will decrease.
So, to sum up my 2 cents worth, A backhoe attachment is an awesome tool to own but you need to have ALOT of use for it to justify the cost.

/ I could sure use your help! #9  
Carl,
Welcome to the forum. It sounds like you have a very interesting piece of property. Most of Illinois seems to be covered in corn and soybean so a 10 ac lake sounds pretty nice.

I believe I would be looking in the 30 hp tractor range for your needs. This will be large enough to offer good loader power and still small enough for your future mowing needs. All of the major brands make tractors in this size range and all of them would serve you well. Spend some time reading the forum and take a look at different brands in your area.

I would suggest you contact Steve Carver of Carver Equipment in N. Carolina. Steve is a Kubota dealer and active member on the forum that is very active with the VA and has done modifications on tractors to meet special needs. I am sure that Steve would be willing to offer advice even if you were not interested in the Kubota line. Drop him a note at STEVE@CARVEREQUIPMENT.COM he is a good guy.

When you list your tractor plans, the one area that a compact tractor may disappoint you is digging a 1ac pond. Pond digging is generally best done with larger equipment. With house building, road maintenance and your lake I think you will find plenty to do. Keep us up to date and don’t hesitate to ask lots of questions, most of us have.

MarkV

/ I could sure use your help! #10  
You might want to check out the Power Trac line of equipment. The only foot controls are the forward and reverse pedals. Everything else is hand operated. All hydraulic, and a quick attach implement system that can't be beat. You don't have to get off of the tractor to change implements, unless it is powered, like a mower or cutter, and then it is only two hydraulic quick disconnects.<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.power-trac.com>Here's a link, click here to see their website</A>. I imagine that something could be engineered to provide a lever for forward and reverse, to compliment the foot pedals. They make small models like mine all the way up to 65HP monster units. Something in their product line might fit your needs. Good luck in your search /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif